TAT: Domestic tourism sector may not achieve its target growth this Songkran

webfact

TAT: Domestic tourism sector may not achieve its target growth this Songkran

tat.jpg

BANGKOK, 5 Mar 2015, (NNT) - The domestic tourism sector might grow less than 10% growth during this year’s Songkran holiday as earlier predicted, thanks to the slowing economy, says the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

TAT’s Deputy Director on Domestic Marketing Anuphab Theerarat said yesterday that his office was collecting information on passenger bookings for the upcoming Songkran festival from airlines, coach and train services operators, as well as accommodation providers.

Despite the slowing economy, Mr. Anuphab is confident that there will be some growth, given the long holiday is the usual time for the locals to visit their families or friends.

According to a poll conducted by the National Statistical Office, 39.1% of the 63,060 people interviewed traveled to visit relatives during the festival last year, 37.2% traveled for religious reasons, and 31.6% made a journey for recreation purposes.

TAT also revealed that the most favorite destination among local tourists are Northeastern provinces, at 30.4%; followed by provinces in the Central region, the capital, the Eastern region, the upper Northern Region, the lower part of the North and the Southern Region, respectively.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-05 footer_n.gif

Think about it! Its a Festival of Death... Ban it on all roads. Set asidefields and open spaces to play. Make it a fun time again. How many poor souls will die this year?

I don't know about poor souls, they will be reborn as a lao kao bottle, from a Thai point of view it can't be all bad.

• Like 2

I'm in my native country at the moment. Thailand has been one of the most popular locations for holidays but now they reported 26% drop in numbers people heading that way.

Somehow, I am not surprised at all. Something goes wrong - blame the Farang. Economy is going down the drain - blame the Farang. We have lousy service, expensive prices and they no like - blame the...etc. etc. etc.

Anyone surprised ? Why ? Alcohol sales ban at ridiculous times not only in shops NO in restaurants and pubs. Curfews after midnight. Deck chairs, eating, drinking, smoking not allowed on the beaches (Phuket) Who knows what else is coming soon.

TAT will also put Chinese tourists on that villages,

than villagers will meet with their family mambers in Dubai;

Dear Mr. Dubai !! How much chinese tourists you have there ??

Fortunately I have a nice riverside house I can shut myself away in for four days. Nearly time to stock-up. Water, food, milk, coffee, tonic, beer, books, DVD'S. Sit on the deck and listen to all the insane madness from a safe distance.

Tail Wags Dog:

I beleive when a variable in an economic equation is reduced (tourism) we say "The economy has slowed in part, due to decreased tourism."

We do NOT say "Tourism has slowed because of a weak economy/"

Do they think there is a link between beach time and GDP?

There IS however, a direct relationship between beach CHAIRS and beach time ... for sure !!

HEADLINE: Chef triples the amount of salt in soup, restaurant empty ... blames weak economy.

Amazing.

Anyone surprised ? Why ? Alcohol sales ban at ridiculous times not only in shops NO in restaurants and pubs. Curfews after midnight. Deck chairs, eating, drinking, smoking not allowed on the beaches (Phuket) Who knows what else is coming soon.

happy endings banned, no more orgies

Wow! the TAT is actually revealing that Thailand may not get the big money this year!

That is about the first time I have seen a comment like this from the TAT.

I do hope that the present government and PM in Thailand are checking for themselves on

Thailand's condition, and I also hope that they will make it a bit easier for tourists and visitors

who come to Thailand yet. One suggestion is to make the visit to Thailand for three months

without needing a visa. Many countries are doing this now and it has improved their tourism numbers.

Just my humble suggestion. Not all of us Canadians are rich.