Carrying biggish bike on my pickup.

AllanB

We live a fair old way from all the good rides and would like to use my 4 door Isuzu pickup to get me close to the action, taking the family with me at the same time.

Does anyone do the same, if so any tips about loading and unloading a bike weighing about 180kg? Ramps, where to buy, how to use, or batter still bike racks, are they available here?

I think there are some legal problems, especially driving with the tailgate down due to the short bed, but nothing a 200baht bride won't sort out, I think.

Make sure you buy some good tie downs and dont rely on your pickups anchor points. They are only held in buy the plastic liner. Get some solid anchor points screwed into the steel. At least on the front. Boat fittings are good if you are near a marine hardware store.

• Like 1

Make sure you buy some good tie downs and dont rely on your pickups anchor points. They are only held in buy the plastic liner. Get some solid anchor points screwed into the steel. At least on the front. Boat fittings are good if you are near a marine hardware store.

we used to put my vfr 400r (nc 30) in a ickup all the time.

3 guys, lift front wheel up onto tailgate one guy gets in to steady the back other 2 grab rear pegs and lift bike in, easy peasy.

you can buy a couple of come alongs and straps to anchor the bike.

put bike on stand, apply tension towards stand side then apply opposite tension to steady it. leave bike in gear.

I have a raised porch on the front of my house the same height as the pickup, so getting the bike on is easy using it as a loading bay, getting off and back on at the other end is more difficult. Wide ramps and two (or more) people look to be the answer and as in the first video lowering the height differential.

To hell with riding it up or being astride going backwards.

Regarding the anchor points (I have used them a lot), yes you are right, they look really solid but do only attach to the liner, so I will get two put in the floor. Thanks.

Any problems putting it on backwards, it would be easier at this end?

Edited by AllanB

I used to collect bikes in pickups as part of my job as a mechanic. One of the scariest thing I ever did was ride a bike up onto a pic-up as a bet. Its not the getting up the ramp - it's the stopping on the pickup thats the issue.

All above advice is great. We use to straps normally from either side of the vehicle, low down behind the cab. One coming up to either side of the handlebars. Then pull them tight with the wheel straight (long as you cab bulkhead can take it) this tended to make any bike safe. Just needed to stop the rear from going side to side.

Have put bikes on diagonally as well in order to close the tail gate. Can be done (depending on the bike) but does make them a little more difficult to secure.

You can buy posh ratchet down straps. But we always used the cheaper spring loaded jaw grip straps as they were cheaper and easier to use.

As for ramps - you can buy expensive ones, everyone I know has made their own. Normally with a nicked builders plank!

"We live a fair old way from all the good rides and would like to use my 4 door Isuzu pickup to get me close to the action, taking the family with me at the same time.

Does anyone do the same, if so any tips about loading and unloading a bike weighing about 180kg? Ramps, where to buy, how to use, or batter still bike racks, are they available here?

I think there are some legal problems, especially driving with the tailgate down due to the short bed, but nothing a 200baht bride won't sort out, I think."

Its actually 1000baht if you dont have a tarp on the tollways.

I use this, it's easy – even if the back is not down... it give me a smaller space where I can easily / safely transport smaller items as a few paint cans. If I want to transport something like a motorcycle I put the back down and flip the load extender over the rear and have a safe and in Thailand accepted way to transport a big bike.... (for longer trips I have a spare license plate I hang at the rear).

You can buy them at several pickup truck stores, I think I bought it at Pickup Way on Rama II...

post-12170-0-02745100-1425568259_thumb.j