Smog, Smoke, Fire Season?

yaely

Hi again,

This might belong to the Weather thread, or the N95 thread ... But wanted to make sure this is discussed ...

How is the smoke situation in Chiang Rai these days? I'm reading in the CM forum things are pretty bad there right now. CR too?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are apps for your phone and websites dedicated to providing data on air quality in Thailand. I also rely of visual references and as each nearer reference point disappears from view I know things are that much worse. There is also the sniff and cry test. If your nostrils burn and your eyes water it might be best to go back indoors.

I am not sure what good it does to talk about it as it usually just leads to Thai bashing and emotional outbursts which do nothing to improve the air quality or ones mental or emotional health.
While I have noticed a slight improvement this afternoon, due to strong winds, I still think I will exercise indoors today and most likely for the next month or two.

Hi everyone,

at the end of March I am moving with my family (Thai wife and our 9 years old daughter) to Chiang Rai after 15 years in Phuket (now too many cars/pollution/tourists/dust/heat/.......) and following the comments I can read about smoke in Chiang Rai I am planning to buy 3 particle masks from 3M, available here.

These masks are costly (800 to 1000 B each) but regarding health hazard there, maybe worth to have ?

We are planning to set up our farm around Chiang Rai city but where is the less "smoky" place to live around Chiang Rai city ?

The south part maybe ?

Thanks for your help.

While things can vary a bit, like when your neighbor burns his fields causing intense localized smoke, the pollution problem is generally a regional one and does not stop at national borders either. On a particular day one place may be worse than another but generally the smoke is everywhere.

Here is a shot of our thoughtful neighbor. Not much you can do but close up the house.

Burn%2B%2B003.jpg

Smog can be all pervasive. No place to go, except indoors. Fortunately, this is for only a few weeks of the year. So just man up and get used to it. Some years are worse than others. Hopefully, this year the rain comes early. Last year it started raining in April. This year? Who knows?

Attached photo taken 2007 (April). It was a bad year. Worst I have seen so far.

post-21351-0-13996600-1425545109_thumb.j

Thanks for the pictures.

Impressive this smoke !! Even scary I can say !! I think I will invest in these particle masks.

It seems the smoke is mainly coming from rice fields after harvesting, is it ?

So the best is to live away from this king of beautiful landscape.

I have heard there is quite a lot of milk farms producing fresh cow milk.

Can anyone tell me where ?

Thanks to all.

2007 was indeed a very bad year.

Rice is only part of it. Corn is also a big generator of smoke and is grown on hillsides. The litter on the forest floor is also burned for different reasons.

There is just so much growth during the rainy season that even the roadsides are overgrown and often are burned because it is easier.

Fire%2B2014%2B%2B003.jpg

Thanks for all this useful information.

We will land in Chiang Rai on 25th of March and my worries are getting bigger.

Since 15 years we are mostly concerned by clean good air and healthy life (we are retired diving instructors)

and it looks like maybe we did a wrong choice with Chiang Rai to build a farm and to have healthier life.

After Phuket and its overcrowded population+pollution+heat+++..., here we are, welcome in the northern smoke !!

So I resume : rice fields, corn fields, road sides, litter on the forest floor, ...

It looks like fire is for "purification purpose" everywhere to start over for a happy new year of prosperous cultures

with enriched soil....

I am running to the mask shop right now !!!

2007 was indeed a very bad year.

Rice is only part of it. Corn is also a big generator of smoke and is grown on hillsides. The litter on the forest floor is also burned for different reasons.

There is just so much growth during the rainy season that even the roadsides are overgrown and often are burned because it is easier.

Fire%2B2014%2B%2B003.jpg

I can smell it, and yet I am not even close. And it is not even real, perhaps. Is that a beautiful painting from up north?

You know, I used to smell the rice husks and dry rice based vegetation being burnt by the Taiwan farmers to turn it into a more easily used form of phosphorous, or some other nutrient for the next crop.

I felt a deep sense of nostalgia for the year gone by, and the many years gone by that I had stood and smelled this smell in almost the same spot.

It is life passing us by, for sure.

I hope nobody gets burnt.

This is my eighth March/April here and I'd say it is usually worse by now. It is the one time of the year I despise, absolutely hate being here at this time of year so will have a few weeks at the beach soon. Last year there were some big storms late March and early April so the same again would be nice. Just the other day there was an article in The Nation from a Doctor in CM saying there are now 3-4 heart attacks per day in his hospital compared to the 3-4 per week...but still nothing is done to stop it.

This is my eighth March/April here and I'd say it is usually worse by now. It is the one time of the year I despise, absolutely hate being here at this time of year so will have a few weeks at the beach soon. Last year there were some big storms late March and early April so the same again would be nice. Just the other day there was an article in The Nation from a Doctor in CM saying there are now 3-4 heart attacks per day in his hospital compared to the 3-4 per week...but still nothing is done to stop it.

stop what? the smoke or the heart attacks?.........Doc don't complain......business is picking up!

every year the same story !!

They have not send out airplanes,

they have to sedn out the army and put any one of this croks which put fire on their rice fields in a

Iron box in middle of their fields for the 2 months in which they fire

any natural resorces !!

If you put a field with strow in Europe in fire,

firefighter will come out with several lorries to disinguush the fire,

you will be put on cord for braking several laws,

and last not leat, you will get a nice bill from the firefighter for their intervention,

colculate with not less than 10.000,- Euros;

This people there in CM and CR will learn very quick !!

Smog can be all pervasive. No place to go, except indoors. Fortunately, this is for only a few weeks of the year. So just man up and get used to it. Some years are worse than others. Hopefully, this year the rain comes early. Last year it started raining in April. This year? Who knows?

I like this !!

Emjoy it there gents;

I never will be there !!

Hi everyone,

at the end of March I am moving with my family (Thai wife and our 9 years old daughter) to Chiang Rai after 15 years in Phuket (now too many cars/pollution/tourists/dust/heat/.......) and following the comments I can read about smoke in Chiang Rai I am planning to buy 3 particle masks from 3M, available here.

These masks are costly (800 to 1000 B each) but regarding health hazard there, maybe worth to have ?

We are planning to set up our farm around Chiang Rai city but where is the less "smoky" place to live around Chiang Rai city ?

The south part maybe ?

Thanks for your help.

buy masks instaed of cows !! 5555555555

Getting used to it is not a solution because as sure as eggs is eggs, this level of pollution will cause I'll health in a pervasive manner and is life threatening. I would certainly not wish to inflict this cause of ill health on myself or family. Get out if possible whilst your lungs are relatively intact. Happy breathing!

Smoke in CR is just as bad as CM. There are any number of Thais burning leaves, rice fields, corn fields, forest - nothing ever changes.

What amuses me most are the highway signs exhorting locals not to burn off - in English. Supreme optimism to think the rice farmers can read them.

Getting used to it is not a solution because as sure as eggs is eggs, this level of pollution will cause I'll health in a pervasive manner and is life threatening. I would certainly not wish to inflict this cause of ill health on myself or family. Get out if possible whilst your lungs are relatively intact. Happy breathing!

Whatever floats your boat...

Should be a paradise for smokers. Considering what I've heard people pay these days for cigarettes I would think serious smokers would be flying in by the droves! If they do so, maybe they'll suck it all up and we'll have clean air again. That is, providing the smokers then depart.

It's not a bad year for smoke really. It is worse the last week or so then it was, but it has been much worse by this time previous years. We should be through the worst of it in a couple of weeks.

To the OP, there is no difference in the general area around Chiang Rai province for smoke. It moves with the wind and comes from the whole region, and Burma and Laos too. So trying to pick a place to live in the province to miss the smoke would be quite impossible. However, most of the year it won't be an issue. As far as the masks go, If you think you can wear them 24/7 go ahead and buy them, but if it were me I would come up and see for myself first. If you are arriving on the 20th, it is possible the smoke is already thinning out for the year. March is the worst part generally.

Mae Chan residents have gotten a number of no-burn warnings. Just heard another warning this morning.

There are also warnings about motorcycle helmets. We all know how well that's worked so far. smile.png

In that case I would wait until the rainy season starts in May orune. Wait until we have at least one big storm which lasts for more than one day. Then the sky will be beautiful.

Will it really? What about the small fires people make in their backyards? Here in Chanthaburi we are yet to find neighborhood where one can breatthe freely. I'm assuming it's the same around CR and CM?

Archived