BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yaely

Smog, Smoke, Fire Season?

The smoke is just awful in Chiang Rai town today. Visibility is very poor and you can smell it in the air. It's just appeared so suddenly - the weather until a couple of days ago was wonderful.

Surprisingly I still see some of our local cyclists out peddling in this heavily polluted air. Until we get something like this, I am spending most of my time indoors.

Darksky%2B%2B001.jpg

Darksky%2B%2B007.jpg

I have given up my daily walks as i suspect the smoke hurts more than the exercise helps. Good excuse, I guess,, to spend lot of time in A/C reading books that i haven't gotten to yet.

This is my first march in CR in about five years....now i remember why i always went somewhere else around the first of march and won't make the mistake again next year....last year was Nha Trang vietnam which i highly recommend as a great spot to spend the smokey season...perfect weather, clear skies, shoulder tourist season so all kinds of great deals and not too crowded......plus those wonderful sea breezes.....

I do love Chiang Rai...especially from about Oct through Feb when it is close to perfect weather.... but i don't care for march/april here.

Very bad again today. Just popped out on the motorbike to the shops for a few minutes, which was enough to give me sore eyes and a headache. I'm seriously considering moving south for a couple of months seeing as we have a two year old.

Very bad again today. Just popped out on the motorbike to the shops for a few minutes, which was enough to give me sore eyes and a headache. I'm seriously considering moving south for a couple of months seeing as we have a two year old.

In Phayao here, yesterday was bearable. Today woke up everything is just covered in thick white smoke. Cant even see anything. Eyes are sore, even classrooms have smoke inside. Worst of all I feel very unpleasant feeling in my chest.

Worry about our daughter, neither me nor my wife have got any holiday until somewhere in April.

Does anyone know when things will get back to normal ?

Does anyone know when things will get back to normal ?

Only the Nose knows... cheesy.gif

Eyes too presumably

Unfortunately this is normal, for now anyway. It will get better when the weather changes and we get a good storm passing over the region. It is anyone's guess when that will be.

While things can vary a bit, like when your neighbor burns his fields causing intense localized smoke, the pollution problem is generally a regional one and does not stop at national borders either. On a particular day one place may be worse than another but generally the smoke is everywhere.

Here is a shot of our thoughtful neighbor. Not much you can do but close up the house.

Burn%2B%2B003.jpg

Archery is a wonderful and incredibly quiet sport to take up. Just sayin'. happy.png.pagespeed.ce.w4JpNxlSQhDiBcyvW

It only hurts when I breath today so maybe it isn't all that bad. All I have to do now is figure out how to stop breathing.

By the looks of it yesterday is going to be the peak (pm10 was at 245). Worst I have seen it here but I have only been in CR 4 years.

Yeah I think you are right, I was looking at a different site and thought the number they used was the pm10. Anyhow, it was better today.