BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yaely

Smog, Smoke, Fire Season?

The air quality is not bad today but there is always that one guy who sees that as an open invitation to start another fire. Pardon the photo quality but I only had the iPhone while walking the dogs. I am intrigued, and find it oddly attractive, the way the smoke travels low over the fields without rising into the sky.

smoke%2520%2520001%2520%25281%2529.jpg

The air quality is not bad today but there is always that one guy who sees that as an open invitation to start another fire. Pardon the photo quality but I only had the iPhone while walking the dogs. I am intrigued, and find it oddly attractive, the way the smoke travels low over the fields without rising into the sky.

The inversion layer at work perhaps, newly created hot air (containing polution) is trapped at low levels by a layer of cooler air which stops the polluted air from rising, consequently it travels horizontally until it is able to escape. Typically ocurs before 2:00pm, before which time the sun has had time to warm the colder air, allowing it to rise.

Alternatively, there's a bloke to the right, out of camera, with a really large vacum cleaner, what his business is remains a mystery.

The inversion layer at work perhaps, newly created hot air (containing polution) is trapped at low levels by a layer of cooler air which stops the polluted air from rising, consequently it travels horizontally until it is able to escape. Typically ocurs before 2:00pm, before which time the sun has had time to warm the colder air, allowing it to rise.

Alternatively, there's a bloke to the right, out of camera, with a really large vacum cleaner, what his business is remains a mystery.

In situations like this, I choose to ignore the science and simply enjoy the visual wonder before me. Of course that is easier to do when it is far enough away that I cannot smell it or feel it burning my eyes.

In situations like this, I choose to ignore the science and simply enjoy the visual wonder before me. Of course that is easier to do when it is far enough away that I cannot smell it or feel it burning my eyes.

I was hoping someone else would correct the above misrepresentation of inversions. I guess it is up to me. Normally air rises and cools at a regular rate. If it encounters a warmer than expected layer of air, the upward movement is stalled, with the air and in this case smoke, being trapped below this layer of warmer air. The inversion is not created by a layer of cooler air. This seems to be a common occurrence here in the north.

Such beautiful storms in the last 2 or 3 days. Been staying up in a remote area where their splendour and scariness can really be experienced.

Air qualty now fantastic.

Sorry , I forgot to ask, could the amateur snappers confine their efforts to the photo threads please bcs when you're off the beaten track the snaps really slow things down. thanks in advance.

I can’t speak for the other amateur snappers but I aim to please the many, not the few, so I will no doubt continue to add photos when I feel it is appropriate. Sorry to hear about your bad connection and hope you get a faster connection soon.

Hmm, if you got outside of the suburbs more often you'd know that the networks (all of them) are not 100%. I would have thought you must also be aware that storms affect even the most urban of networks.

I see from the posted dates these are from last year. What is the current status? Also, I have tried to backtrack some threads to find out the best-recommended breathing mask, make number etc.

I see suggestions for 3M p95 masks is that the recommended one?

We are still having snow here in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada so as well as big temp difference the air quality will be a big thing .

I am prone to respiratory hassles from 30+ years of wreaking my lungs by smoking for 30 + years.

I know by the time I get there it will start to clear in a month but I don't need to start my visit off with respiratory problems.

So any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I am certainly looking forward to getting home after an extended time away.

I will be coming back to Chiang Rai on the 8 April.

Thanks in advance

Randell

I see from the posted dates these are from last year. What is the current status? Also, I have tried to backtrack some threads to find out the best-recommended breathing mask, make number etc.

We are still having snow here in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada so as well as big temp difference the air quality will be a big thing .

I am prone to respiratory hassles from 30+ years of wreaking my lungs by smoking for 30 + years.

I know by the time I get there it will start to clear in a month but I don't need to start my visit off with respiratory problems.

Thanks in advance

Randell

Have a read of this thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/900706-haze-starts-to-cover-phayao-despite-60-day-burning-ban/

It is about Phayao but has a lot of info and stats for Chiang Rai

Thanks in advance

Randell

The best masks are N95. You don't need N99 or N100, those are expensive and not needed for current levels. See if you can get a 3M 9210, do a google to see how it looks. It is foldable so it's much easier to bring around.

It should be easy to find in pharmacies in Canada.

I posted some latest updates in this thread. It seems to be deteriorating day by day. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/900706-haze-starts-to-cover-phayao-despite-60-day-burning-ban/page-4#entry10559701

Not sure what would the conditions be on April 8th though, rains are supposed to come, but don't bet on it for this year as it's the trailing end of a Super El Nino year and the El Nino conditions are still very bad now.

Thank you. Vivid and Ripstanley for you quick response. I will check out the Phayao thread. I will also check for those masks here before I come. Thanks again . Really looking forward to getting home even with the present conditions.

Randell