Cutting Down Trees

naammanow

Have 3 big trees in my garden that need removing, cutting down as they are affecting the house and its foundations. They are quite big and about 10 mtr tall, so will need some capable people to handle it creating the least amount of damage. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks!

The usual method around here is for someone to climb way out on every limb as far as possible and cut off the end piece first....that way the piece that is cut off is not so heavy and can be maneouvered (using ropes if necessary) so that it doesn't do any damage...when the end pieces are cut then small sections of the limbs can be brought down carefully. The trunk of a large tree is worth cutting down in one piece since it will have lumber which will be valuable even if it is a really poor quality wood in which case the wood still makes good concrete form boards.

That's how its done around here...a lot of the men know how to do this but there is one guy (still fairly young and very athletic) who is the best...he can climb any tree without a rope or ladder....he's amazing to watch. His skill might be genetic because he has a daughter who is now 5 years old but I remember when she was just learning how to walk and was still in the falling down stage when one day she toddled over to a large shrub, grabbed a branch, and pulled herself up into the shrubbery.....before she could even walk with confidence...amazing!!! She's still quite the daredevil and likes to climb and jump.

Depending on the sort of tree, you can get someone to (buy it) dig it up and take away roots and all. They sell them to the hotels etc. Try asking the places that sell the large trees . There's one on the road to Mae Jo and another out towards Hang Dong. Amazingly they all seem to grow; for example that big piece of wood they planted in front of the Chedi Hotel! That way someone else can enjoy your 10m trees!! :o:D

Depending on the sort of tree, you can get someone to (buy it) dig it up and take away roots and all. They sell them to the hotels etc. Try asking the places that sell the large trees . There's one on the road to Mae Jo and another out towards Hang Dong. Amazingly they all seem to grow; for example that big piece of wood they planted in front of the Chedi Hotel! That way someone else can enjoy your 10m trees!! :D:D

Excellent idea :o

There are another couple of places along the middle ring road, between the new Rimping and the river

Have 3 big trees in my garden that need removing, cutting down as they are affecting the house and its foundations. They are quite big and about 10 mtr tall, so will need some capable people to handle it creating the least amount of damage. Anyone has any suggestions? Thanks!

How are you sure the trees are the problem? Many surveys I have undertaken establish that soil shrinkage or foundation failure was often not due to adjacent trees! What trees are they, as most thai trees do not have that great a requirement for seeking out water? Get the forensic engineering of the foundations considered before action. I hate to see local thai developers just poisoning or cutting down trees for no structural reason. :o

Great replies, Thanks. Actually I hate to see them go, but they're just getting too big. And there are too many in my not too big garden and too close together. And they're overhanging into my neighbours area, not that they complaining, but still. In English they're called "devil tree" Will surely check with the places that sell the big trees, maybe they're interested. Don't want to tackle it myself and have no place to move brancges etc. too. Thanks for the replies so far.

Great replies, Thanks. Actually I hate to see them go, but they're just getting too big. And there are too many in my not too big garden and too close together. And they're overhanging into my neighbours area, not that they complaining, but still. In English they're called "devil tree" Will surely check with the places that sell the big trees, maybe they're interested. Don't want to tackle it myself and have no place to move brancges etc. too. Thanks for the replies so far.

Ah devil trees. Don't normally require that much water, but if you have a small garden they do get very bushy. Perhaps a local herbalist would be interested as the bark was previously used as a "cure all" in medicine. :o

just to add to cmsally's suggestion, i reckon you could make at least THB3,000 to THB5,000 on each three. very much in demand.

If you sell to a tree buyer as suggested, they will offer only about 1 to 2 thousand baht, since their retail price would range from 3-5 thousand baht..

Edited by Ajarn