Breeding Buffalo

Does anybody know of any farmers or institutions (e.g. universities, government stations) that are doing systematic breeding of buffalo? (By “systematic” I mean keeping records of the animals’ growth rates, etc, and selecting the best performing animals for further breeding).

I am interested to get into buffalo breeding but would first like to see what others are already doing in order to learn from them and to identify potential suppliers of good quality animals to start a new breeding herd.

Thanks.

JB – wife suggests you contact a guy called Arthur Rickards.

He’s an Aussie based at New England Uni (Australia) – he’s a geneticist who was contracted in the late 1990’s to the Thai Department of Livestock to study the commercial viability of breeding Water Buffalo, and also the commercial viability of mixing them with farm cattle!

The contact details she has for him apparently are an email address:

<email removed - please contact poster by PM for contact details.>

She says the guy knows his subject well, and will be able to tell you where to source good quality commercially viable stock from. and what to look out for if you are intending to breed on a commercial basis

Tim

Edited by Totster

Tell me - does anyone know why the "Forum Policeman" feels it neccesseary to remove from my posting an email address that was given to assist someone else?
It's probably cos this is a public forum, and if someones e-mail is posted on here they may get all kinds of spam e-mail, usually you just send e-mail adresses by PM. or you'd put down something like "I've got the e-amli adress PM me if you want it"