Are You An Alcoholic?

Neeranam

Are YOU Alcoholic ~ only YOU can decide

To answer this question ask yourself the following questions and answer them as honesty as you can.

1. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?

2. Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare?

3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?

4. Is drinking affecting your reputation?

5. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?

6. Do you drink alone?

7. Have you lost time from work due to drinking?

8. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?

9. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?

10. Is drinking jeopardising your job or business?

11. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?

12. Are you in financial difficulties as a result of drinking?

13. Do you turn to or seek an inferior environment when drinking?

14. Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?

15. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?

16. Do you want a drink the next morning?

17. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?

18. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?

19. Has your doctor ever treated you for drinking?

20. Have you ever been in hospital or prison because of drinking?

What's Your Score??

If you have answered YES to any one of the questions, there is a definite warning that you may be alcoholic.

If you have answered YES to any two, the chances are that you are an alcoholic.

If you have answered YES to three or more, you are definitely an alcoholic.

Why do we say this? Only because the experience of hundreds of thousands of recovering alcoholics has taught us some basic truths about our symptoms — and about ourselves.

If you admit you are an alcoholic there’s hope for you.

Admitting you are an alcoholic may seem today like the end of the line to you, but there are thousands of people in AA who can testify that acceptance of their powerlessness over alcohol was not an end, but a beginning: the beginning of their recovery and a new, useful and rewarding life.

AA have a simple, workable programme. It is a down-to-earth programme designed BY and FOR alcoholics. If you honestly want sobriety above all else and are fully willing to follow this programme without qualification, you have written your own guarantee for sobriety.

THE ONLY REQUIREMENT FOR AA MEMBERSHIP IS A DESIRE TO STOP DRINKING.

This does not mean signing up, or paying a subscription fee. You simply come along to an AA meeting, where you will find people who have been through exactly the same sort of things as you. Get to lots of AA meetings. That way you will hear different AA’s telling their experience. Among them you will find people with whom you can identify closely — people you feel understand YOU.

MAYBE YOU ARE STILL NOT CONVINCED YOU ARE AN ALCOHOLIC.

In which case, a few meetings may help you to decide. All we ask is that you bring with you an open mind.

WHY NOT GIVE THE AA PROGRAMME A TRY? We did, and it works.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer this question ask yourself the following questions and answer them as honesty as you can.

6. Do you drink alone?

What's Your Score??

If you have answered YES to any one of the questions, there is a definite warning that you may be alcoholic.

Why do we say this? Only because the experience of hundreds of thousands of recovering alcoholics has taught us some basic truths about our symptoms — and about ourselves.

Admitting you are an alcoholic may seem today like the end of the line to you, but there are thousands of people in AA who can testify that acceptance of their powerlessness over alcohol was not an end, but a beginning: the beginning of their recovery and a new, useful and rewarding life.

AA have a simple, workable programme. It is a down-to-earth programme designed BY and FOR alcoholics. If you honestly want sobriety above all else and are fully willing to follow this programme without qualification, you have written your own guarantee for sobriety.

This does not mean signing up, or paying a subscription fee. You simply come along to an AA meeting, where you will find people who have been through exactly the same sort of things as you. Get to lots of AA meetings. That way you will hear different AA’s telling their experience. Among them you will find people with whom you can identify closely — people you feel understand YOU.

In which case, a few meetings may help you to decide. All we ask is that you bring with you an open mind.

I'm hovering around 10 out of 20 and that's ignoring the work related questions because I'm retired.

Still not ready for the AA, though I might go and take a looksy one of these days. Just to see if Robitissun and his cohorts have any substance to their never ending diatribe. :o

I am not sure if this test is for real, but I try do answer:

No, why?

Absolutely not, such things I take care of in day-time resp. during business hours.

No, but I do offer a drink or two to shy people, to open up.

Absolutely, people wonder how I still can stand straight, when they are p*ssed.

No, if drunk I would be unable to solve any trouble or worries. So first settle the problem, than have a drink of two.

6. Do you drink alone?

I try not to, but what can I do if the others had enough and I fell thirsty?

Most of the time I drink with customers

No.

No, I leave instructions to my stuff before going out for drinking.

Absolutely not, v.v. it brings business.

No.

No.

Absolutely not, I prefer top places.

No, but for celebrating a deal any time is ok.

Vice versa, I am always happy when it is finished and I can go to sleep.

Morning? Would be too early.

No, rather to keep it down and relax.

Yes.

No.

No.

What's Your Score??

Points 4, 6 and 18 bring me trouble. So what can I do?

Yes to three and you're an alcoholic? What a crock of shit. I had yes to 5 and guess what guys - not an alcoholic:

6. Do you drink alone?

[Yes - I live alone, suprising?].

[Yes - like most people I know, I have had the occasional hangover and 'chucked a sicky' because - well - I was bloody sick].

[Yes - I did a lot of stupid things while drunk at university].

[Love to have a beer or glass of wine after work, and miss it if I don't. This is a problem?].

[Yes if I drink too much it disturbs my sleep, which (apart from hangovers) is one reason why I don't like to].

[Once or twice during the uni days when I had just started drinking - yes].

I hate these kinds of sanctimonius 'admit you have a problem' posts. Not everyone that drinks more than is good for them is an alcoholic, get over it.

I hate these kinds of sanctimonius 'admit you have a problem' posts. Not everyone that drinks more than is good for them is an alcoholic, get over it.

I used to say similar things when the disease hadn't a real hold on me.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease.

Q. Is Alcoholism a Disease?

From National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism

A. Yes. Alcoholism is a chronic, often progressive disease with symptoms that include a strong need to drink despite negative consequences, such as serious job or health problems. Like many other diseases, it has a generally predictable course, has recognized symptoms, and is influenced by both genetic and environmental factors that are being increasingly well defined. (See also Alcohol Alert No. 30: Diagnostic Criteria for Alcohol Abuse and Dependence.)

I have a few friends who drank as much as me - definately not good for them, but the difference is they are not alcoholics. They will probably die early due to alcohol but that doesn't make them alcoholics.

This test is made by people who are alcoholics so that alkies can maybe learn, and do something about it, before the disease progresses.

There was a point in my drinking when I had absolutely no defense against taking that first drink.

If I had found out earlier, then I may have been able to stop by myself.

Another test I believe is as follows -

If you're not sure if you're suffering from alcoholism, go out and take a drink. If you can then stop and go on and do normal things, then you probably aren't.

Standard cult tactics. Give out a questionaire that 100% of the population would answer yes to at least one question. Then invite them along to a meeting.

Straight out of the Church of Scientology playbook.

Sorry about my overly aggressive/cranky/insensitive post - had a bad day.

I am suprised though that alcoholism seems so hard to define. Surely there must be some reliable / generally accepted indicator?

I have a few friends who drank as much as me - definately not good for them, but the difference is they are not alcoholics. They will probably die early due to alcohol but that doesn't make them alcoholics.

Now I'm really confused. Neither the amount of alcohol you drink nor its effect on your health determines whether you're an alcoholic, but feeling remorse (q.11) does? :o

Standard cult tactics. Give out a questionaire that 100% of the population would answer yes to at least one question. Then invite them along to a meeting.

Straight out of the Church of Scientology playbook.

Coupled with the "Just try it. You can leave any time" lines.

Yes to three and you're an alcoholic? What a crock of shit. I had yes to 5 and guess what guys - not an alcoholic:

6. Do you drink alone?

[Yes - I live alone, suprising?].

[Yes - like most people I know, I have had the occasional hangover and 'chucked a sicky' because - well - I was bloody sick].

[Yes - I did a lot of stupid things while drunk at university].

[Love to have a beer or glass of wine after work, and miss it if I don't. This is a problem?].

[Yes if I drink too much it disturbs my sleep, which (apart from hangovers) is one reason why I don't like to].

[Once or twice during the uni days when I had just started drinking - yes].

:o:D Queue the "You're in denial" line.

On the one hand if you've missed work and felt remorse after drinking and drank alone(Who hasn't?) you are definitely an alcoholic. On the other if you drink very heavily and very harmfully chronicly for years but give up by yourself, you're not an alcoholic. :D

Edited by robitusson

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2006-08-28 01:30:07)

Now I'm really confused. Neither the amount of alcohol you drink nor its effect on your health determines whether you're an alcoholic, but feeling remorse (q.11) does?

IMHO, the amount of alcohol you drink, nor it's effects on your health do not make you an alcoholic.

If you drink a lot you will be a heavy drinker, maybe even addicted. Being addicted to alcohol and being an alcoholic are VERY different, IMO.

Feeling remorse is a sign of being an alcoholic.

Sorry about my overly aggressive/cranky/insensitive post - had a bad day.

I am suprised though that alcoholism seems so hard to define. Surely there must be some reliable / generally accepted indicator?

I'd rate an alchi as, someone who gets drunk every day....! Who activley seeks alchohol as an addict seeks drugs.

redrus

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2006-08-28 01:30:07)

I humbly beg to differ. It is a learned behaviour that the individual decides upon.

I thought you might :o

I'd rate an alchi as, someone who gets drunk every day....! Who activley seeks alchohol as an addict seeks drugs.

redrus

There are many alcoholics who are binge drinkers.

I don't drink everyday, I haven't had a drop for years. Am I an alcoholic? Yes - because if I picked up a drink now, I know from experience that I couldn't stop for a few weeks and I would wreck my life, end up in a hospital, police station or dead.

I've stopped drinking for period of 1 month, 2 months, even 6 months once. As soon as I took that first drink, however, that uncontrollable craving for more and more started. It's pretty impossible to explain to someone who has never experienced this. It's like an allergy.

It is a learned behaviour that the individual decides upon.

Just consider yourself lucky that you're not an alcoholic - many alcoholics certainly don't decide to do some of the terrible things they do.

Edited by Neeranam

On the one hand if you've missed work and felt remorse after drinking and drank alone(Who hasn't?) you are definitely an alcoholic. On the other if you drink very heavily and very harmfully chronicly for years but give up by yourself, you're not an alcoholic

Come on, don't be a woose. I don't think the question means taken a sickie because you have a sore head. Felt remorse means more than a little embarrassed because you flirted with your mates girlfriend. Drinking alone - not going down the pub and siting at the bar yourself, but maybe sitting in every night with 2 bottles of whisky.

Come on, don't be a woose. I don't think the question means taken a sickie because you have a sore head. Felt remorse means more than a little embarrassed because you flirted with your mates girlfriend. Drinking alone - not going down the pub and siting at the bar yourself, but maybe sitting in every night with 2 bottles of whisky.
Well that's what the questionnaire says. It doesn't mention 2 bottles of whiskey.

You've also said....

"Just consider yourself lucky that you're not an alcoholic - many alcoholics certainly don't decide to do some of the terrible things they do."

So despite the fact that I had huge trouble giving up the booze, caused unending problems to myself and others because of it, was told by dozens of AA members that I was an alcoholic, you're telling me I'm not because I say that it is an individuals choice! Why are only people who say they need AA considered "real" alcoholics?

I had trouble with the questions, too--wasn't clear whether they applied to the present, the recent past, the distant past, etc.

Why are only people who say they need AA considered "real" alcoholics?

Because only when you make the conceptual leap to believe that you're "powerless" over alcohol can you begin the conversion process. Next comes the spiritual rebirth, if I understand the Big Book correctly.

Robit, you will never be accepted as an 'alcoholic' by AA and like-minded entities because you never claimed to need them. Because you quit and don't need further attention, etc.

But seriously, it's a question that probably rests largely on semantics. It seems more like a convenient pigeonhole for something that goes a lot deeper, something psychological as well as physical. However that's hardly conventional thinking, it's much easier to throw the label around, keep it black and white with nothing in-between. Perhaps, as in the case of 'witch' or 'satyriac', it reveals more about the person applying the label (even if it's to themselves) then it does about the behaviour/condition/disease (take your pick).

The Wiki entry (an excerpt of which is pinned ti the top of this forum branch) seems very balanced in its appraisal of the differing arguments as to 'Are You/Am I an Alcoholic?', from definition to treatment.

So despite the fact that I had huge trouble giving up the booze, caused unending problems to myself and others because of it, was told by dozens of AA members that I was an alcoholic, you're telling me I'm not because I say that it is an individuals choice! Why are only people who say they need AA considered "real" alcoholics?

And it begs the question ... if I answered "yes" to three of the q's, say nos. 3, 6, and 11 (which seem pretty innocuous to me), but managed to stop drinking without AA, was I or was I not an alcoholic?

And it begs the question ... if I answered "yes" to three of the q's, say nos. 3, 6, and 11 (which seem pretty innocuous to me), but managed to stop drinking without AA, was I or was I not an alcoholic?

For me it was 6, 7 and 11

6. Do you drink alone? ...... errr.... yes and no, the wife doesn't drink alcohol, but she is usually in the vicinity.

7. Have you lost time from work due to drinking? .... errr.... yes and no, it was mainly partying with fellow work-mates, but having said that, alcohol was always on the menu.

11. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?........ yes, about 35 years ago when I stayed at a close friends house and puked on his carpet.

If I showed that list of questions to everybody I know, or even stood on the street and did a survey.... I doubt that anyone would score less than three.

(If your feel compelled to not touch a drop of alcohol for a few months, and you stick to it religiously..... you have a problem)