Considering Buying Honda City, but have CVT Concerns

I have researched smaller new cars in Thailand, and narrowed the choice down to Toyota Vios and Honda City. My preference at this stage is the Honda City. However, I am not an auto expert (far from it, in fact).

The major concern that I have with the Honda City is its CVT (continuously variable automatic transmission). I have read that the CVT has problems with (1) noise, and (2) jerkiness in shifting.

The biggest potential problem of all, though, seems to be (3) the Expected Lifespan of the Gearbox. Following is a sampling of concerns from the Internet:

• "many sites have indicated that a well cared CVT gearbox has a lifespan of 120-160K km, while a ...[non-CVT]... box will last far longer with minimal maintenance"
  • "gearbox not suitable for local city conditions as the wear and tire on the [CVT] belt was on the lower gears."
  • "gearbox could not be repaired and a total replacement had to be done in the event of a belt failure." (very costly, I'm told.)

Help! Advice from TVF's auto experts, please!

No expert here... but one of my family bought a Honda City five years ago [just paid it off] and it is still running like new.

You may know this, but the engine and mechanicals in the City are the same as the Jazz. It should be easy to get parts for the foreseeable future.

We all love this car. No complaints at all.

I drive a CVT Nissan Teana. And my wife a CVT Nissan March, we love the CVT.

I drove many manual and automatic cars and CVT's are the best.

It was the Dutch DAF who were successful with the first small CVT cars.

i agree DAF did make said CTV drive train successful isn't a word i would use as it ceased production after only 3 years

• Like 1

i agree DAF did make said CTV drive train successful isn't a word i would use as it ceased production after only 3 years

The DAF Daffodil is a small family car that was manufactured by DAF from 1961 until 1967.

No expert here... but one of my family bought a Honda City five years ago [just paid it off] and it is still running like new.

You may know this, but the engine and mechanicals in the City are the same as the Jazz. It should be easy to get parts for the foreseeable future.

We all love this car. No complaints at all.

The model you are referring to doesn't have a CVT gearbox, the OP is referring to the new 2014

model when the CVT was introduced.

The OP's other option would be to buy a used 2013 City that has a proven track record of reliability

without the CVT concern, and probably save himself 200k bt.

• Like 1

The DAF Daffodil is a small family car that was manufactured by DAF from 1961 until 1967.

600, Daffodil, 55, 66, Volvo 66 i get drive train production out to 21 years and de Rooy used modified version with BDA power circa 245bhp

A follow-up question for TVF's auto experts:

• Does the incorporation of a torque converter clutch into the 2014 model now increase the durability of the transmission?

Honda corporate news releases claim "Yes."

Advice/Comments, please.

We have had repeating problems with the CVT gearbox on my wife's 2003 Honda Jazz. At that time it had driven 140,000 km.

But that was the first generation of CVT on Honda and was (later) known to have problems.

I don't know about following generations, but they should have improved it!?.

Gerry123, you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

I grew up surrounded by DAF cars, also the Citroen 2CV, two fantastic cars for people with little money besides the fuel drinking VW beetle.

The most impressive were the super-comfortable Citroen DS and the first Wankel engine car the NSU RO80 was a beauty.

I did drive a NSU 1000TT sports car when I was 20, marvelous.

The Royal Danish Post used DAF with CVT back in the 70's, so they must have been good quality.

The postmen loved, that it could drive just as fast backwards as forwards!.

Gerry123, you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

I grew up surrounded by DAF cars, also the Citroen 2CV, two fantastic cars for people with little money besides the fuel drinking VW beetle.

The most impressive were the super-comfortable Citroen DS and the first Wankel engine car the NSU RO80 was a beauty.

I did drive a NSU 1000TT sports car when I was 20, marvelous.

The NSU RO80 was way ahead of it's time, styling wise, in fact still doesn't look dated even today. However, I believe that model was plagued with mechanical problems. Hard to believe this is more than 40 years old.

post-130068-0-34647400-1425780344_thumb.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

I remember them with...w00t.gif

The Royal Danish Post used DAF with CVT back in the 70's, so they must have been good quality.

The postmen loved, that it could drive just as fast backwards as forwards!.

Yes, they did.