BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
sweatalot

sprinkler on the roof instead of a/c

we've got a big room under the roof. No aircon. Gets quite hot now.

I am considering to put a sprinkler on the roof and spray water all day long. This wouldn't be too expensive because we have our own well and a big water container close to the house. All we need would be a pump and some hoses.

I just don't know how effective this would be.

Anyone experience or advice? I would be very grateful.

It won't change the ambient air temp, thus, no substitute for AC that way I see it.

Edited by IMHO

We do this on the roof of our factory. It helps for sure. Evaporation = cooling

• Like 2

Doubt it would cool the room at all. And not to mention the big mess of water you would have all the time.

Nothing beats a good old law of physics. You don't have to wuestion this one, it is just a matter of fact.

It won't change the ambient air temp, thus, no substitute for AC that way I see it.

the temperature inside the room is much hotter than the outside temperature. (Same as in a car in the sunshine) Evaporation of water would cool for sure. The question is how much?

And it would not need a high volume flow of water.

If it was such a good idea....people all over the world would be doing it. Im not saying it wont cool, Im saying that is not the answer. Ventilate

In the desert we used a slightly similar system called a swamp cooler. It essentially sprayed small droplets of water into the house, which would evaporate, resulting in a nice cool room.

However it does not work at all in humid climates.

Doubt it would cool the room at all. And not to mention the big mess of water you would have all the time.

I don't expect a big mess of water - I would turn down the flow so that the roof is just wet and the water dropping on the soil would nurture the grass around the house as a welcome side effect.

Go for it. It's not going to help anything, but you will think it does and that's all that matters.

did you try? At our factory we do this on hot sunny days and it does work. Why you try to convince people it doesn't? Painting the roof white would also work. Let's see what Mr Bankrupt has to say about this..
  • Like 1

Guys, it all depends on just how much the inside air temps are influenced by the roof surface temps, as to whether this idea will have an effect. You can't just blanket write it off - if you could, you should also blanket write-off every roof insulation technique there is too.

LIke I say though, there's just no way it's going to make indoor air temps that are lower than outdoor air temps. Which is what AC can do.

I don't expect a big mess of water - I would turn down the flow so that the roof is just wet and the water dropping on the soil would nurture the grass around the house as a welcome side effect.

The downside to your plan is that the grass will grow and you will have to cut it more often.

• Like 1

The downside to your plan is that the grass will grow and you will have to cut it more often.

Well, the other downside is that water isn't free, neither is pumping it, nor the pipework/nozzles to build the system ;)