BANGKOK 19 April 2019 01:39
Sign in to follow this  
Thaivisa News

"Pla Ra" Somtam most popular dish in Isaan

Khon Kaen: – That "Pla Ra" and Thailand's Northeast are inseparable is a well-known fact. But in what dish does "Pla Ra" feature the most?

One in two people in the Northeast would have plara somtam (papaya salad with fermented fish) in one of their meals for almost every day.

Khon Kaen University has released a survey of Isaan lifestyle in 20 provinces of the Northeast.

Isaan people rank Somtam as the most favourite dish. They have also listed four must-have items – mobile phone, television, refrigerator and motorcycle.

About four in five people work within the area of their house registration. One in five said their work place is located outside the domicile.

Barely two per cent said they would not eat somtam. The overwhelming 98 per cent said their meals included somtam, ranging from every day to at least once a month.

Residents of town and rural areas equally rate somtam as their favourite.

Seven in ten villagers would eat somtam daily. One in two town people would include somtam in their daily meal.

Migrant workers living outside domicile have an average family size of four.

Nine in 10 Isaan families have mobile phone, television, refrigerator and motorcycle, deemed the basic necessities for modern-day life.

Almost 98 per cent of Isaan households have more than three mobile phones. Of those mobile phone users, three in five have smart phones, including tablets.

In comparison to villagers, town residents are more affluent with mobile phone, car, air-conditioner, water heater and refrigerator.

Villagers are keen to buy, in order of importance, mobile phone, television, motorcycle and DVD player.

• Like 1

Yes many of so know this. Now what? Call this news?

They have also listed four must-have items – mobile phone, television, refrigerator and motorcycle.

No. five is a daughter working as a bar girl to pay for all this...

• Like 1

Disgusting stuff.

Yeah every year I give it another go to see if it's become an acquired taste. It never has.

I'd rather suck the sweat from Dave Lee Travis' beard.

Though hang on a minute....

• Like 1

i suppose one can get addicted to that

same as sugar, coffee, sigarettes, alcohol & drugs

I dont mind the Thai somtam without the pla ra,with the peanuts and lime juice,i always ask for it 'mai pet' ,but still sweat like a pig when i eat it,i cannot eat the pla ra one though.

• Like 1

another news...

7 out of 10 expats drink daily beer....

"Daily beer" is a label I have not heard of whistling.gif

• Like 1