Koh Samui ‘influential person’ gunned down

Thaivisa News

"Police have stepped up checking at all piers on Koh Samui to try to prevent the gunmen from fleeing."

​Quick before they make it to Mynamar. You just know it can't be a Thai.

Do you actually realize how boring your last sentence is? Been said on Thai Visa now thousands of times

Boring - may be.

But necessary

I guess some influential people are already rubbing their hands as KOH TAO seems to be out of the headlines.

But it should not until (real) justice is done

Got a call from a Thai woman friend i have known for years this afternoon who lives on Samui. Can not discuss much of the details but she was invited to dinner with Mr. Influential when the shooting took place. As i have mentioned before a number of mafias are in control of the island both Thai and foreign. So if you have no problems supporting your local mafia continue visiting the Full Moon Party, Koh Samui and Koh Tao. I won,t get near the place. My Thai friends and family understand this and we meet elsewhere.

Edited by Jungle Jim
  • Like 1

Stray bullet from the wannabe cowboy cop?

Another wild quote

I know allot of volunteers and believe it or not they don't want to do the job they would rather be going out and having fun but allot of local police know local people and ask them for help to boost numbers as the government under funds the police

Also local people like to do there bit for protection their island and their families

Problem you have is the same in and situation be police army or civilians ( anyone ) drunk and around guns has high chance or a bad recopy

Thai volunteers are aloud to carry guns. Of coarse they can i mean look at fisherman village this is what they have to deal with and don't even get paid

They can only arrest when in a group with a full policeman so in their spare time they are just normal people

My post went clearly over your head.

Never mind.

Are they suggesting that foreign business owners NEED protection from local "businessmen" like this in order to conduct business in Thailand? Should look good for future investors.

Any foreign businessman who doesn't know this already deserves all he gets

"influential person" as if we don't know already what that term stands for. I forgot- what was the name again of the tiny East African island ?

tiny East African island ?

Can you help me?

You may be being obtuse, but Freddy Mercury was born on Zanzibar, a tiny island off the coast of Tanzania. Are we any clearer?

Right in the middle of a family orientated touristic event. Imagine what those tourists will tell their friends about Samui when they return home.

That it's not as bad as they had previously heard?

Coming away seeing only one gangland execution seems to be coming away short somehow.

Video can be seen here https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=776587439100525

It's not graphic. It shows Walking Street and the 2 shooters with raised guns going into and out of the restaurant but not the actual shooting.

Clearly shows one of the guys firing from the entrance while the other one goes in.

A lot of tourists there, really not good and shows how turf wars are spreading to include tourist areas which were previously nearly always safe zones from this type of thing happening.

Edited by englishoak

Got a call from a Thai woman friend i have known for years this afternoon who lives on Samui. Can not discuss much of the details but she was invited to dinner with Mr. Influential when the shooting took place. As i have mentioned before a number of mafias are in control of the island both Thai and foreign. So if you have no problems supporting your local mafia continue visiting the Full Moon Party, Koh Samui and Koh Tao. I won,t get near the place. My Thai friends and family understand this and we meet elsewhere.

I love it when people who don't really know anything try to give the impression they know it all :-)

Most major businesses on Samui, such as the major hotels, are owned and run by people in Bangkok. I am sure there are some local and foreign wannabe gangster types, but they don't control anything worth mentioning.

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 2

I love it when people who don't really know anything try to give the impression they know it all :-)

Most major businesses on Samui, such as the major hotels, are owned and run by people in Bangkok. I am sure there are some local and foreign wannabe gangster types, but they don't control anything worth mentioning.

What does ownership have to do with gangsterism? If you believe that these hotels, etc. that you speak of are above paying protection money then you are deluded.

Jeez, it wasn't that long ago since the taxi mafia on Phuket held every major hotel to ransom.

• Like 1

i agree many Hi-so have money on the island having said that mr. know it all the mafia has most of the control.

"Police have stepped up checking at all piers on Koh Samui to try to prevent the gunmen from fleeing."

​Quick before they make it to Mynamar. You just know it can't be a Thai.

Do you actually realize how boring your last sentence is? Been said on Thai Visa now thousands of times

How can it be boring, got your back up pretty quick didn't it? The never endless entertainment on TVF, how can you live without it?

What does ownership have to do with gangsterism? If you believe that these hotels, etc. that you speak of are above paying protection money then you are deluded.

Jeez, it wasn't that long ago since the taxi mafia on Phuket held every major hotel to ransom.

Quite so. Not so long ago the mafia in New York exerted significant "influence" over all the major hotels (through control of their laundry collection) and the garbage hauling business to ALL commercial buildings via their control of the teamsters union. For all I know they still do have a lot of "influence." Glass houses anyone?

Paradise is getting smaller because the Thai government thinks more foreigners means better. I would pay thousands more for my visa if the government made a real effort thinning out the foreign riff raff. The tourist traps tend to attract the lowest of humanity both Thai and foreign. They deserve each other.

Sad, and paradise keeps getting smaller and smaller ....

Very sad Indeed.

"they were having dinner at the Karma restaurant" hmmmmm.

Karma >noun (in Hinduism and Buddhism) a person's actions in this and previous lives,seen as affecting their future fate.rolleyes.gif

Outside these traditions it has come to mean "what goes around comes around", "reap what you sew" etc. wink.png

Only if you are a seamstress.... Farmers reap what they sow..

I don't think you can name even one hotel on Samui that pays protection money to anyone.

The only people who pay protection money are the usual semi illegal businesses such as bars, jetskis and taxis who pay the police in order to avoid the usual trouble with licenses, lack of meter use, closing hours and prostitution.

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 2

and who do you think owns the land that these businesses rented and built on lol

• Like 1

and who do you think owns the land that these businesses rented and built on lol

Most of the major hotels bought the land. Some rent on long term leases. Not sure why that matters? They did not rent it in their wifes name or forget to register the lease if that is what you are getting at.

good question . Trust me the mafia has a strong grip in Surat province.

i agree many Hi-so have money on the island having said that mr. know it all the mafia has most of the control.

What exactly do they control, if not the money?

Anyway, I can see several of you believe the major hotels all pay protection money to someone, so why not give us a few examples? If they all do it, then it should be easy to name at least a few examples?

My bet is none of you can name even one major hotel, as all the info you have is hearsay from other TV members.

Don't have to be hotels btw. Can be other major legal business such as the airport, the hospitals, shopping malls, the banks etc. Who is paying and to whom?

good question . Trust me the mafia has a strong grip in Surat province.

Well I guess with no evidence, not even a single unproven example, we will just have to trust you :-)

Maybe you should contact some of the major business owners and ask if they have remembered to pay protection money to the secret mafia. However I bet you cannot even get their numbers from their secretaries.

"they were having dinner at the Karma restaurant" hmmmmm.

Karma >noun (in Hinduism and Buddhism) a person's actions in this and previous lives,seen as affecting their future fate.rolleyes.gif

yes ron, we know.

that was the point.

your firm grasp of the obvious is admirable.