BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Thaivisa News

Will Samui Paradise turn into garbage heap?

Samui, Surat Thani:- If nothing is done soon enough, the small island of Samui, seen as a paradise by foreign tourists, could turn into a heap of garbage soon, according to a briefing at an urgent meeting held Sunday.

During the meeting held by Surat Thani Governor Chatpong Chatphume, more than 250,000 tons of garbage has already piled up on the small island, regarded by many foreign tourists as a paradise, especially decades ago before the tourism industry there boomed.

The meeting at the Surat Thani provincial hall was also told that 150 tons more of garbage is made on the island each day.

Chatpong held an urgent meeting after he has received complaints from local people that garbage has become a serious problem for them as the remaining waste is causing bad smell and affecting their daily life.

The governor called representatives of agencies concerned to discuss possible solutions. The agencies included the Samui Municipality and the Surat Thani Natural Resources and Environment Office.

The governor was told that the constructions of four integrated solid waste management plants that can dispose garbage with sustainability have not been done yet, causing the garbage to accumulate for two years.

The meeting was told that the ever-growing pile of garbage could soon affect the tourism.

Samui Municipality Mayor Ramnetr Jaikwang said four landfill sites of the municipality had already been used up and its garbage incinerator has been out of order.

Ramnetr said the municipality has only one plot of land left for use as a new landfill but it will be used up in six months or no more than one year.

The meeting resolved to set up a panel to speed up the construction of the four integrated garbage plants.

Samaui is a beautiful island and with the increase in tourism garbage problems will inevitably result.

Recycle what can be recycled and dispose of the biodegradable garbage in the ocean.

So as far as I see it the issue is really how to transport the recyclable waste to the mainland to facilitate this process.

I suggest the lawmakers of Koh Samui make a field trip to the Maldives, not telling them in advance that this island will be their destination:

• Like 2

I think its now over developed and overpriced they have never considered putting any thing back as usual , Samui is a dump

Thais only live for the moment. One day its all gone. You have to reinvest to sustain tourism. But. T.I.T.

I laughed when I visited Samui 8 years ago.

A hilly island with no proper storm drainage. The people there expect rainwater to just find its way to the sea? One main drain I saw ended abruptly before meeting the beach. Why? Beach properties are to valuable to have a storm drain running through it and polluting it.

That's why Samui floods.

• Like 1

Must be the news from last century.
I thought Samui was a garbage heap since decades already. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Four waste management plants have nit been done yet and Incinerator not working. And everything standstill for how long? Two years? Keep piling it up as long as the influential people keep lining their pockets.