Will Samui Paradise turn into garbage heap?

Thaivisa News

The Outback Communities of Australia are cleaner than this cesspit of a Country, and that is saying something. When I come to think of it, the political leaders of this country are about on par or a little behind the Outback Comunity Council Members in Australia.

Totally agree,i was shocked a few years back when my wife and i and some of her cousins were clearing land,out in the country,some friends turned up with food,in those sytrofoam boxes,when finished one lady collected it all up and just threw it in some bushes,i am very strict about at our house and at my wife's shop but it seems they just cannot stop themselves from throwing it on the ground,i know the argument about how before things were wrapped in banana leaves,but i don't think that really applies today,it's just does not seem an issue for Thai people,and will not be even when the whole country is covered in a layer of garbage a metre high,it is one of the things i really dislike about Thailand and the Thai's attitude about it.

Sad to say my thaiwife does the same - throws everything on the side of the road, in bushes or whereever she feel like. When I see it I ask her not to but it happens soon Again - she just laugh ...blink.png

BTW I agree that Samui is a dump !

Edited by Johnny S

What?......I'm really surprised no finger pointing at the garbage pileup being from tourist beer bottles and trashed items on the beach and waterways!....... Its the people who live on the island that created the mess! But then the Thais have a special clone in their brains that don't see trash at all, it kind of becomes obscured in the land scape. An out of sight out of mind mentality. So burning trash in four locations is really going to improve the air quality? Almost everything imaginable thrown away can be recycled, paper, tin, aluminum, boxes plastics, and what remains can go to mulch resale.

Some people say that it already has, both figuratively and literally.

Affirmative, mon.

(stayed there early nineties for almost 3yrs altogether - sweet ... 10, 12yrs later couldn't stand it for just 3 month anymore ... now, another decade later not even interested to try ...)

It's not just Thailand, even in squeaky-clean Japan people some times burn plastic in bon fires, in fact Japanese garbage cans are labeled "burnables" (to distinguish from the only recyclables, PET bottles) and that includes anything plastic . So Japan stays relatively garbage-free because it burns everything, polluting the air and water with nasty chemicals.

Years ago I spent some time above Dharmsala where the Dalai Lama resides. I made a few trips out to the main monastery and the dirt road leading there was lined on both sides with little blue plastic bags, the faithful would bring food offerings to the temple in them and then just toss them aside on the way back. I think the Thais have a lot of company in this regard, the result of technology getting ahead of people's awareness. Not like we're immune from that either.

• Like 1

Some people say that it already has, both figuratively and literally.

Affirmative, mon.

(stayed there early nineties for almost 3yrs altogether - sweet ... 10, 12yrs later couldn't stand it for just 3 month anymore ... now, another decade later not even interested to try ...)

I spent six weeks in a little hut at the end of Chaweng back when....when the area was still covered with coconut trees. Went back a few times but not for 20+ years until last year when I went to visit a friend there on the way to another island. What a shock, you can be 20 meters from the beach and you wouldn't know you're not in some medium-size town on the mainland. Really a shame.

"During the meeting held by Surat Thani Governor Chatpong Chatphume, more than 250,000 tons of garbage has already piled up on the small island, regarded by many foreign tourists as a paradise, especially decades ago before the tourism industry there boomed"

Was regarded as a paradise decades ago, now just a growing island of garbage. Do not seem to hear many good things about Samui any more. Just another place in Thailand that the Thais took, made as much money now as possible with out thinking about the future ... what a waste now gone to potty

It starts at elementary school, brainwashed with rubbish information that makes no sense but still not learning the important basic human values like responsibility, cause-and-effect awareness, self-esteem, self-consciousness. They poison their own bodies with an overdose of monosodium glutamate and the world around them is not their problem. In case of complains just ring Buddha who has full responsibility.

And unless ThaiVisa forum is going to be fully translated into Thai nothing will change I guess. coffee1.gif

Edited by Mcffee

Samui residents get increasingly frustrated with the garbage situation

rubbish-1-300x169.jpg

Many residents in Koh Samui are getting increasingly fed up with garbage being left around the island. One angry resident wrote to the Samui Times today saying “I write this out of frustration about the big mess in our soi (soi sundays opposite talaad Bophut).

rubbish-2-169x300.jpg

Two weeks ago I again collect myself some of the biggest bags full of garbage, on the pictures you can see the result after two weeks. These are only three pictures I took but if you look in the small river (which leads to the sea) on the right side you will see a complete garbage belt. Why is nothing done about this, for example no more free plastic bags at the supermarkets and convenience stores (Makro is doing a good job), the placement of garbage containers and dustbins. I know nothing will happen so next week I go collect some garbage again.

I simply don’t understand how Thai people can live in a place (Samui) which looks like a garbage belt. This is not only what i see but also what all the thousands of tourists which visit Thailand see.”

rubbish-3-300x169.jpg

Another today informed us that many of the green government rubbish bins around the island appear to have disappeared especially in the area between Maenam and Nathon. Yesterday a frustrated resident sent us many photographs of the landfill site near the prison and another is gravely concerned about the amount of rubbish finding its way into the sea.

While the local government seems to be doing little to rectify the garbage situation some residents are taking matters into their own hands to clean up the mess. The Samui Times are making inquiries to try to establish what is going on with the islands waste systems.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-03-10

last year i took some friends on a boat trip to Ang Thong, while we stopped at one (pristine) beach i swam around to the next bay and got greeted by ankle deep rubbish all over the beach. it really was heart breaking, the water was full of crap everywhere and there were huge floating debris islands offshore as well. samui itself and most of thailand for that matter has rubbish dumped all over it, the rivers are disgusting.

i can't really understand why thai people do this, i thought they loved their country?

• Like 1

When I lived with my Girlfriend in Phuket she diligently collected our packaging or whatever and placed in a bin even picking up the rubbish others had left on the ground, at her home in Issan anything goes just toss it on the ground and let it blow away strange.

Many posters have mentioned the anomaly of the Thais who every morning sweep up the fallen leaves ignoring the plastic and other crap that is a real eyesore.

• Like 1

A sad scenario being replayed across the land. One only has to look at any vacant lot and see the garbage and trash that is allowed to fester day after day, month after month.

The property owners are not forced to clean up and monitor their property and the same seems to be the mindset on public land.

Infrastructure seems an afterthought and once the damage is done it is allowed to sit and migrate into the landscape at will. A sad state of affairs in Thailand and elsewhere.

IS it not possible that This Samui newspaper or some of the local concerned Thai people, can speak publically with the islands Mayor about this disgusting situation ?

Samui residents get increasingly frustrated with the garbage situation

rubbish-1-300x169.jpg

Many residents in Koh Samui are getting increasingly fed up with garbage being left around the island. One angry resident wrote to the Samui Times today saying “I write this out of frustration about the big mess in our soi (soi sundays opposite talaad Bophut).

rubbish-2-169x300.jpg

Two weeks ago I again collect myself some of the biggest bags full of garbage, on the pictures you can see the result after two weeks. These are only three pictures I took but if you look in the small river (which leads to the sea) on the right side you will see a complete garbage belt. Why is nothing done about this, for example no more free plastic bags at the supermarkets and convenience stores (Makro is doing a good job), the placement of garbage containers and dustbins. I know nothing will happen so next week I go collect some garbage again.

I simply don’t understand how Thai people can live in a place (Samui) which looks like a garbage belt. This is not only what i see but also what all the thousands of tourists which visit Thailand see.”

rubbish-3-300x169.jpg

Another today informed us that many of the green government rubbish bins around the island appear to have disappeared especially in the area between Maenam and Nathon. Yesterday a frustrated resident sent us many photographs of the landfill site near the prison and another is gravely concerned about the amount of rubbish finding its way into the sea.

While the local government seems to be doing little to rectify the garbage situation some residents are taking matters into their own hands to clean up the mess. The Samui Times are making inquiries to try to establish what is going on with the islands waste systems.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-03-10

When I lived with my Girlfriend in Phuket she diligently collected our packaging or whatever and placed in a bin even picking up the rubbish others had left on the ground, at her home in Issan anything goes just toss it on the ground and let it blow away strange.

Many posters have mentioned the anomaly of the Thais who every morning sweep up the fallen leaves ignoring the plastic and other crap that is a real eyesore.

Couldn't agree more! Unbelievable that they sweep up the leaves (which will eventually "degrade" back into the earth), yet ignore all the rest of the garbage lying about.

I was forced to move from a nice bungalow a few years ago because of all the rubbish dumped as "landfill" nearby. The smell was horrific, and swarms of flies made sitting outside unbearable. When I complained to the landlord his attitude was that it wasn't his problem, as he wasn't the one dumping the rubbish, and it wasn't his land!

Edited by sambum

Couldn't agree more! Unbelievable that they sweep up the leaves (which will eventually "degrade" back into the earth), yet ignore all the rest of the garbage lying about.

I was forced to move from a nice bungalow a few years ago because of all the rubbish dumped as "landfill" nearby. The smell was horrific, and swarms of flies made sitting outside unbearable. When I complained to the landlord his attitude was that it wasn't his problem, as he wasn't the one dumping the rubbish, and it wasn't his land!

Okkk seriously I'm not the only person who has seen this done every morning. I thought I was imagining it or being hyper critical as it seemed so illogical.

mainland china is the same way,in the market streets of any city the trash is past ankle deep when the stalls close. it is the only place i have seen cockroaches & rats stroll instead of scurrying around. what a mess. need more education, plain & simple. :-)

Well at least the locals are talking about it now, so that is a start..... if each household could just take pride in their own little space, it would be a good thing..

and if every household paid the garbage collection fee - the govt would have some money to do more. whistling.gif

Well at least the locals are talking about it now, so that is a start..... if each household could just take pride in their own little space, it would be a good thing..

and if every household paid the garbage collection fee - the govt would have some money to do more. whistling.gif

The problem is that paying the fee for collection doesn't solve everything. Where I am everyone was paying the collection fee each month but the rubbish man decided that it was too hard to actually collect the rubbish, after 3 months of nothing being collected the Phuyaibaan decided that he would take over, for 200 baht more a month the rubbish is now being collected everyday.

Of course all that does is move the rubbish into one big heap (or 4 in the case of Samui) where nothing happens to it.

Collection is only the one step in waste disposal, the others have to be sorted as well.