Will Samui Paradise turn into garbage heap?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Will Samui Paradise turn into garbage heap?Some people say that it already has, both figuratively and literally.

We where in 10 years ago with a govt. supported project. We brought a 400 horse power grinder and our aeration facility onto Samui and we did a good batch of compost. We received organic waste form Te

Really insightful stuff there, thanks for sharing Samui stopped being a paradise years ago. A a Mafia run shit hole where everything is overpriced.

Posted Images

When I lived with my Girlfriend in Phuket she diligently collected our packaging or whatever and placed in a bin even picking up the rubbish others had left on the ground, at her home in Issan anything goes just toss it on the ground and let it blow away strange.

Many posters have mentioned the anomaly of the Thais who every morning sweep up the fallen leaves ignoring the plastic and other crap that is a real eyesore.

• Like 1

A sad scenario being replayed across the land. One only has to look at any vacant lot and see the garbage and trash that is allowed to fester day after day, month after month.

The property owners are not forced to clean up and monitor their property and the same seems to be the mindset on public land.

Infrastructure seems an afterthought and once the damage is done it is allowed to sit and migrate into the landscape at will. A sad state of affairs in Thailand and elsewhere.

IS it not possible that This Samui newspaper or some of the local concerned Thai people, can speak publically with the islands Mayor about this disgusting situation ?

Samui residents get increasingly frustrated with the garbage situation

rubbish-1-300x169.jpg

Many residents in Koh Samui are getting increasingly fed up with garbage being left around the island. One angry resident wrote to the Samui Times today saying “I write this out of frustration about the big mess in our soi (soi sundays opposite talaad Bophut).

rubbish-2-169x300.jpg

Two weeks ago I again collect myself some of the biggest bags full of garbage, on the pictures you can see the result after two weeks. These are only three pictures I took but if you look in the small river (which leads to the sea) on the right side you will see a complete garbage belt. Why is nothing done about this, for example no more free plastic bags at the supermarkets and convenience stores (Makro is doing a good job), the placement of garbage containers and dustbins. I know nothing will happen so next week I go collect some garbage again.

I simply don’t understand how Thai people can live in a place (Samui) which looks like a garbage belt. This is not only what i see but also what all the thousands of tourists which visit Thailand see.”

rubbish-3-300x169.jpg

Another today informed us that many of the green government rubbish bins around the island appear to have disappeared especially in the area between Maenam and Nathon. Yesterday a frustrated resident sent us many photographs of the landfill site near the prison and another is gravely concerned about the amount of rubbish finding its way into the sea.

While the local government seems to be doing little to rectify the garbage situation some residents are taking matters into their own hands to clean up the mess. The Samui Times are making inquiries to try to establish what is going on with the islands waste systems.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-03-10

When I lived with my Girlfriend in Phuket she diligently collected our packaging or whatever and placed in a bin even picking up the rubbish others had left on the ground, at her home in Issan anything goes just toss it on the ground and let it blow away strange.

Many posters have mentioned the anomaly of the Thais who every morning sweep up the fallen leaves ignoring the plastic and other crap that is a real eyesore.

Couldn't agree more! Unbelievable that they sweep up the leaves (which will eventually "degrade" back into the earth), yet ignore all the rest of the garbage lying about.

I was forced to move from a nice bungalow a few years ago because of all the rubbish dumped as "landfill" nearby. The smell was horrific, and swarms of flies made sitting outside unbearable. When I complained to the landlord his attitude was that it wasn't his problem, as he wasn't the one dumping the rubbish, and it wasn't his land!

Edited by sambum

Couldn't agree more! Unbelievable that they sweep up the leaves (which will eventually "degrade" back into the earth), yet ignore all the rest of the garbage lying about.

I was forced to move from a nice bungalow a few years ago because of all the rubbish dumped as "landfill" nearby. The smell was horrific, and swarms of flies made sitting outside unbearable. When I complained to the landlord his attitude was that it wasn't his problem, as he wasn't the one dumping the rubbish, and it wasn't his land!

Okkk seriously I'm not the only person who has seen this done every morning. I thought I was imagining it or being hyper critical as it seemed so illogical.

mainland china is the same way,in the market streets of any city the trash is past ankle deep when the stalls close. it is the only place i have seen cockroaches & rats stroll instead of scurrying around. what a mess. need more education, plain & simple. :-)

Well at least the locals are talking about it now, so that is a start..... if each household could just take pride in their own little space, it would be a good thing..

Well at least the locals are talking about it now, so that is a start..... if each household could just take pride in their own little space, it would be a good thing..

and if every household paid the garbage collection fee - the govt would have some money to do more. whistling.gif

and if every household paid the garbage collection fee - the govt would have some money to do more. whistling.gif

The problem is that paying the fee for collection doesn't solve everything. Where I am everyone was paying the collection fee each month but the rubbish man decided that it was too hard to actually collect the rubbish, after 3 months of nothing being collected the Phuyaibaan decided that he would take over, for 200 baht more a month the rubbish is now being collected everyday.

Of course all that does is move the rubbish into one big heap (or 4 in the case of Samui) where nothing happens to it.

Collection is only the one step in waste disposal, the others have to be sorted as well.