Advice reqd please

ldb123

Hi there,

I have been trawling the forum for some time now and im getting a little closer to having to make a decision about my future but havent found the answers so i hope you wont mind me asking your valuable opinions please.

I, like many others want to come to Thailand to teach English, i am aware i need a BA to do this, although i have read that it will soon need to be a B.Ed, is this correct?

What my quandary is, do i go for the English BA which is £5500 and possibly struggle as i dont find it particularly interesting but am aware it may help me when im out there or do i go for BA History, which i will find more interesting but it is £12500, both of these are through The University of London and are online degree's, id also like to know if that University is recognised out there.

Either way i go i intend moving out in 3-4 years time depending on how long it takes me to get the degree and aim to stay out there indefinatley, 10, 15, 20 years +

im aware it may be down to individuals taste but welcome any comments.

Thanks for your time,

Lee

If you're keen to make a career of teaching do your credentials for it, so something akin to a B.Ed or PGCE and get QTS. If you've already made up your mind to spend 20+ years doing this then get it done right. Just my take on this, as it sounds like you're very early in your uni educational career and still have some time to explore options.

• Like 1

Lee, as a NES with a degree - you should be fine with a BA. Not just in Thailand but also other neighboring countries.

Teaching is a peculiar career path. Many of us get bogged down by the daily nonsense and get out after a few years.

OTOH, it's rewarding to work with young people.

When do you plan to come over?

Would like to come over asap but been advised not to come without a BA. So will be starting that this summer then hopefully complete that in 3 years at best then here i come. Although i do here things will be very different in 3-4years and maybe no jobs for westerners or is that from the doom and gloom merchants??

I now 20 year old guys from Scotland who're employed as "trainers/" at a well known school in lower northeast.

They'd even EAT the shoe the Thai teacher was using to "punish" her students, that they'll all remember her.

I was just asking my 16 year old son what he'd have done. His answer was quite straight forward.

Make sure that she's to swallows both shoes within 5 minutes. And I totally agree wit him on that. cheesy.gifwai.gif