Australian expat stabs to death Phuket nightclub worker

webfact

Australian expat stabs to death Phuket nightclub worker

Eakkapop Thongtub

1426044749_1-org.jpg

Mark Penlebury is seen here being questioned by police at Kathu Police Station this morning.

PHUKET: -- An Australian expat was arrested in the early hours of this morning (March 11) after he stabbed to death a member of staff outside of the Tai Pan nightclub in Patong.

At about 12:30am rescue workers who were called to the scene gave the victim, Sanya Khlueawaengmon, 25, an employee at Tai Pan from Lopburi, CPR and rushed him to Patong hospital where he died of his injuries.

Police were able to apprehend the suspect, named as Mark Hamilton Pendlebury, 59, from Australia in front of the Bangkok Bank about 100 metres away from Tai Pan. Police also seized a pocket knife which they say was used to stab Mr Sanya.

Pendlebury was taking a video on his mobile phone of a fight which was taking place between a Frenchman and an Indian in Tai Pan.

Mr Sanya asked Pendlebury to stop taking the video, a fight ensued during which Pendlebury allegedly stabbing Mr Sanya in the stomach.

Pendlebury is currently being held at Kathu Police Station.

Pendlebury has been in Phuket more than 10 years and is the owner, with his Thai wife Cha Cha, of Phuket Sail Tours, which conducts sailboat tours, mostly in Phang Nga Bay.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/australian-expat-stabs-to-death-phuket-nightclub-worker-51338.php

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2015-03-11

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP to the victim. As for the perpetrator, however this is dressed up he will likely die in a squalid hellhole of a cell. If guilty it will be his just desserts for an inability to either walk away from a confrontation or fight like a man

Anyone who carries a three inch chase when out and so easily uses it needs to have his background checked. I suspect this isn't his first time to at least injure someone.

RIP to the security guard and condolences to his family.

Let's hope this Aussie gets what he try deserves.

Yep, hope he gets everything he deserves. Might also shut up a few of the knuckle heads on TV who constantly crow about their "rights" to carry weapons in this country especially the multitude that are proud to tell everyone they carry knives on their person in their vehicles and wherever else for "protection". Weapon carried by cowards pure and simple.

Yep, hope he gets everything he deserves. Might also shut up a few of the knuckle heads on TV who constantly crow about their "rights" to carry weapons in this country especially the multitude that are proud to tell everyone they carry knives on their person in their vehicles and wherever else for "protection". Weapon carried by cowards pure and simple.

Spoken by someone who has no concept of the actual realities of life.

Before the "there must be more to the story" or "it was a set-up" crowd butts in: if you are 59 tears old and carry a knife to go on the piss then there is something fundamentally wrong; at that age he should be smarter than that.

What business was it of the bouncer to tell anyone one to stop filming? Does he own the rights by any chance? These bouncers go around thinking they can do whatever they want. Hopefully this unfortunate event will make the rest wiser about confronting people without a right in an atmosphere clearly prone to conflict

Firstly we dont know if he was defending himself from a beating from a much younger person, but yes let hang him high...facepalm.gif

Secondly a huge % of Thai males carry weapons in their cars, you think those market stalls have all that stuff just for show?rolleyes.gif

Thirdly you better be able to escape, cause some will use them for minor slight.crazy.gif

Please help me understand who the gentleman is in the foreground.

He seems large, white and not Thai.

Are there Farang police here in Thailand??? and if so, do we grasp that this person is both judge and jury for the Thais, since language is a hurdle here, and the Thai would rely heavily on his interpretations and judgment. And please do not tell me that those Thai police speak English. Yes, to a small degree, but to truly understanding Australian English ??... no way. I am American and can not understand what folks from Oz are talking about half the time ! 555 !

In other words, who is this guy? Is he an official, or friend of the man charged?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The aussy must be crackers or can't hold his beer.

But, if one carries a knife one does so for a reason, and not to sharpen pencils on a night out....... alt=whistling.gif>

RIP young man......

Normally scared or just a Nutter. Some people do get in a lot of trouble with all day drinking. I cannot work out what a man of that age is doing carrying a blade

Please help me understand who the gentleman is in the foreground.

He seems large, white and not Thai.

Are there Farang police here in Thailand??? and if so, do we grasp that this person is both judge and jury for the Thais, since language is a hurdle here, and the Thai would rely heavily on his interpretations and judgment. And please do not tell me that those Thai police speak English. Yes, to a small degree, but to truly understanding Australian English ??... no way. I am American and can not understand what folks from Oz are talking about half the time ! 555 !

In other words, who is this guy? Is he an official, or friend of the man charged?

Tourist police.

It would be interesting to find out the real story and the outcome. If a Thai was carrying, and used, a deadly weapon in a fight for self defense it will be a mitigating factor in the case, as would him being drunk. This man has clearly taken a few hits himself, whether from the victim or not we don't know, but he could have been fighting for his own life.

If he was a Thai guy and the victim was a farang he would be out on bail today. Look at the bar owner in Samui who shot a farang in the back and then point blank in the head and the whole thing was filmed on CCTV, and he got bail!

I'm definitely not saying that is the way it should be, I'm just pointing out how messed up the legal system is in Thailand. Let see what happens with this guy, but all guesses are he's gonna be locked up in a hellish cell for the rest of the short life he has left starting today.

looks like the Aussie got the shiit kicked out of him ...so I would say he retaliated as an Aussie would do ....I am Aussie and we do not like to be used punching bags ...as for the knife he most probable used it as an equalizer ....fence post would have been better

he's covered in blood from the fight, took a beating to the front, side and back of head

I agree. The story does say that a fight broke out. It doesn't say who started it. There might be more to this story, the way Thais fight.

This is a reason I don't trust Thailand. If he was being beaten, it would be self defense where I come from.

I dunno what happened...

Before my stroke, I traveled all over the north and north east of Thailand on my CBR. I'm a 4th Dan in Shotokan, 2nd Dan in Akido, and held a Master's ranking in Military Martial arts, and yes, I still carried a 4" combat boot knife (concealed) with me. Fortunately, I never let myself be put into a situation where I had to defend myself, but if it did happen, I was prepared. Am I some "nutter"? I hardly think so. But I am a man who always tries to consider all possible scenarios and be prepared for them.

Errrr, Aussies are not generally aggressive people, especially when drunk.......

This must have been an exception.......

RIP, Sanya Khlueawaengmon.

Hope the man that killed you gets what he deserves.

Costas, read a few Australian newspapers and you'll see that this occurs frequently over there. That's even after they banned the possession of knives when out in public.

With cheap airfares comes the ability for the riff-raff to travel around the region (and the world) and transport their 'kulcha' with them.

My local policeman told me to carry a samurai sword in my pick up in case of " robber" he was VERY serious and produced one to show me what to get.

I never did but he was serious.

I wish we'd get all of the facts if possible before passing judgement. The Aussie is covered in blood that's probably his own. He has wounds to his face, neck, head and perhaps arm and that didn't happen with a bouncer's fists. I think that blood on his shirt is also his own.

I carry a pocket knife for utility, not for defense.

I suspect there may be a lot more to this story and I hope the Aussie doesn't get taken out if there is.

Errrr, Aussies are not generally aggressive people, especially when drunk.......

This must have been an exception.......

RIP, Sanya Khlueawaengmon.

Hope the man that killed you gets what he deserves.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Archived