Australian expat stabs to death Phuket nightclub worker

webfact

There is something suspicious here. The Aussie was presumably holding a camera or a phone taking a video which is a good position from which to either start a knife fight or defend yourself against a knife. We can probably assume he was assaulted while holding the camera by the deceased and a number of his colleagues who decided to prohibit people from filming in the street which is a public thoroughfare. There is no statement from the Aussie in the article and it is not yet clear whether he produced the knife himself or wrested it from one of his assailants. Let's wait for some more clarity on this one.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the source that cannot be mentioned they interviewed him already, says self defense as he was being badly beaten by security guards for filming another altracation outside the club.

That news item presents a very different story on the incident. Have to say that the photo with the police all looks very relaxed, no cuffs, no pointing. Maybe the true story will surface.

The Aussie was minding his own business

The Thai took it upon himself to get involved with the Aussies business

A situation developed due to that... and someone unfortunately lost their life... Could have been avoided easily....

The other Phuket paper--not sure if it can be linked here, so I won't do so--paints a very different story of what happened. The Australian had just attended a Rotary Club meeting and was returning from bringing a disabled Danish surfer home (there was another thread on that guy recently). He was walking by this pub, saw a fight, and pulled out his camera (according to him - not a handphone). The security guard ordered him to stop, and a beating quickly ensued. He says that a couple of Indian tourists helped extricate him and believes he would have been killed otherwise. Apparently, this guy has a good rep in Phuket as a generous and helpful person. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at this time (waiting for more evidence of course). Others should not be so fast to judgement.

This is about right...my ex was telling me this morning that she and friends saw this and basically she told me the same as you post...The guy is a known "Mr Niceguy" and this is an unfortunate situation for him to be in IMO..good luck to him..All you TV know-it-alls posting total crapola about him should wait until you hear the facts! bah.gif

# 1 - No one should carry a weapon to go out drinking. If he feels he needs "protection", he's going to the wrong places.

# 2 - For those who will say he has every right to carry one, I say (see # 1) "why?" If he wants to trim his nails, carry a cuticle knife.

# 3 - It's a known fact many clubs do not want ANY videos being shot, outside or in.

# 3 - This man is 59. At this age, one needs to exercise better judgement, and in this case, do as he was told, then walk away.

# 5 - The alcohol always wins.

RIP to the young man. Let the perp feel the full extent of the law as there's really no other option. It isn't OZ.

There must be more to this story. Someone with a pocket knife stab to the stomach is not going to die on the way to hospital.

Don't be too sure. It says he was stabbed in the stomach which means down low where there are a lot of vital organs including arteries that feed the torso and legs. All that knife has to do is cut something like that and a person will bleed out really fast.

Also, unlike a bullet, it's possible for a knife to make a slashing motion and cut a pretty wide swath. I've said many times I'd rather be shot than stabbed because a bullet makes a smaller hole that has a chance to miss anything vital.

Another report i read says that there was trouble inside the club between a group of French and Italians and the Bouncers got them out.

Also report says that the Ozzie got his head injuries from running away from the Police.

In the source that cannot be mentioned they interviewed him already, says self defense as he was being badly beaten by security guards for filming another altracation outside the club.

That news item presents a very different story on the incident. Have to say that the photo with the police all looks very relaxed, no cuffs, no pointing. Maybe the true story will surface.

Sorry I'm out of "likes". I do hope that's what happened. The Aussie looks very badly beaten.

Oh, TV
Day and night this forum sounds off about what a violent hell hole Pattaya is.

Now this dude has a little blade on him and suddenly he's a pussy just for having it?

What's wrong with carrying a knife?
Knives aren't for fighting. Nobody would say they were. What do you think; he was videotaping a fight in public just so he could assault someone?

Please help me understand who the gentleman is in the foreground.

He seems large, white and not Thai.

Are there Farang police here in Thailand??? and if so, do we grasp that this person is both judge and jury for the Thais, since language is a hurdle here, and the Thai would rely heavily on his interpretations and judgment. And please do not tell me that those Thai police speak English. Yes, to a small degree, but to truly understanding Australian English ??... no way. I am American and can not understand what folks from Oz are talking about half the time ! 555 !

In other words, who is this guy? Is he an official, or friend of the man charged?

Don't know, but he must be very cool wearing shades indoor.

Yep, hope he gets everything he deserves. Might also shut up a few of the knuckle heads on TV who constantly crow about their "rights" to carry weapons in this country especially the multitude that are proud to tell everyone they carry knives on their person in their vehicles and wherever else for "protection". Weapon carried by cowards pure and simple.

Spoken by someone who has no concept of the actual realities of life.

Indeed, Just1Voice, spoken by someone who has no concept of the actual realities of life, you.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There must be more to this story. Someone with a pocket knife stab to the stomach is not going to die on the way to hospital.

And you obtained your doctorate at which university? Or are you just speculating which the majority of people do on here?

Errrr, Aussies are not generally aggressive people, especially when drunk.......

This must have been an exception.......

RIP, Sanya Khlueawaengmon.

Hope the man that killed you gets what he deserves.

Costas, read a few Australian newspapers and you'll see that this occurs frequently over there. That's even after they banned the possession of knives when out in public.

With cheap airfares comes the ability for the riff-raff to travel around the region (and the world) and transport their 'kulcha' with them.

well you might enjoy getting a good beating by people on the street. Other people might feel that it's their right to defend themselves. And yes that means using deadly force if their life is at risk.

It seems the Aussie was defending himself from the victim.

Please help me understand who the gentleman is in the foreground.

He seems large, white and not Thai.

Are there Farang police here in Thailand??? and if so, do we grasp that this person is both judge and jury for the Thais, since language is a hurdle here, and the Thai would rely heavily on his interpretations and judgment. And please do not tell me that those Thai police speak English. Yes, to a small degree, but to truly understanding Australian English ??... no way. I am American and can not understand what folks from Oz are talking about half the time ! 555 !

In other words, who is this guy? Is he an official, or friend of the man charged?

Farang police volunteer

Before my stroke, I traveled all over the north and north east of Thailand on my CBR. I'm a 4th Dan in Shotokan, 2nd Dan in Akido, and held a Master's ranking in Military Martial arts, and yes, I still carried a 4" combat boot knife (concealed) with me. Fortunately, I never let myself be put into a situation where I had to defend myself, but if it did happen, I was prepared. Am I some "nutter"? I hardly think so. But I am a man who always tries to consider all possible scenarios and be prepared for them.

" But I am a man who always tries to consider all possible scenarios and be prepared for them."

Illegally.

"Am I some "nutter"? "

I would say yes, clearly, you are somewhere on the nutter scale.

Quite a difference between Phuketwan's version ( Captain Marks version) and the Thai's version ( phuketgazette and thephuketnews). Captain Marks version is he was attacked and defending himself, while the Thais version is that he was drunk and attacked the guard. I tend to believe Captain Marks version as being a bit more credible seeing as how he just got out of a Rotary meeting and was walking a disabled man home that was previously attacked by locals while sitting in a wheel chair.

All you Farang, stop acting like your special in Thailand. You left your country for a reason, and it's not because you were rich or a rock star. Behave, stop drinking so much, stop buying weapons. Get your self a good girl and stay out of Trouble. You might live long enough to enjoy Thailand.

Most farangs DON'T act as their are special. But that does not stop some of the security guards and tuk tuk drivers to be maffia-wannabes that know that they will get away with most.

"Behave, stop drinking so much, stop buying weapons." ? Same goes for thais.

I wish we'd get all of the facts if possible before passing judgement. The Aussie is covered in blood that's probably his own. He has wounds to his face, neck, head and perhaps arm and that didn't happen with a bouncer's fists. I think that blood on his shirt is also his own.

I carry a pocket knife for utility, not for defense.

I suspect there may be a lot more to this story and I hope the Aussie doesn't get taken out if there is.

Ironically, you're suggesting that "we get all the facts first" and then you post some daft non-factual speculation. You're excluding yourself from your own rules?

What possible "utility" could you need to carry a knife for in normal everyday life? None.

Errrr, Aussies are not generally aggressive people, especially when drunk.......

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

...only in the view of the witless.

Yep, hope he gets everything he deserves. Might also shut up a few of the knuckle heads on TV who constantly crow about their "rights" to carry weapons in this country especially the multitude that are proud to tell everyone they carry knives on their person in their vehicles and wherever else for "protection". Weapon carried by cowards pure and simple.

Spoken by someone who has no concept of the actual realities of life.

Spoken by someone who has zero idea of where I have been or what I have done. Like you do later I could provide a menu of martial arts I have done but I don't feel the need to blow my own trumpet. The first rule of any decent self defence is extricating yourself from trouble. Intelligent people avoid trouble and do their best to remove themselves from situations where they may occur (read being drunk in bar areas in the early hours of the morning) Ignoring the fact the this was a near 60 year old man on the piss in the early hours of the morning carrying a concealed weapon. In my experience two types of people carry weapons. Those that wish to feel tougher or bigger to replace other shortcomings in their anantomy or those that have the intent to use them. The former generally get them taken off them and used against them the latter eventually cause serious injury or as in this case kill someone. I have never felt the need to carry a weapon on me anywhere in the world and won't even though I am proficient in their use. Not sure what country your from but there are few countries in the world where getting punched in the head (whether you instigated the fight or not) entitles you to use lethal force certainly not in Australia where I am from and I am pretty sure not here.

There is a violent side among some Australians. All you need to do is to read the Australian media and watch ( Local) Australian news channels to understand that there are some serious violent people.

There is a violent side to EVERY nationality

Watch media in ANY country and see some "serious violent people."

If you think I'm wrong, tell me a country where there are no "serious violent people."

You don't know many Aussies do you.

Tourist/party places like Phuket usually attracts violence and drunken havoc. The aussies I knew in Phuket tended to want to show off their tattooes, muscles and toughness wrapped in a newly aquired muay thai shirt. The aussies that I've met in Bangkok have so far been decent, relaxed guys.

I think it's more a matter of the enviroment. If you have only met aussies, americans, englishmen, french etc in on Bangla, then yes, they will tend to seem to be violent and loud.

Short, I was stunned, thought "Sharky" Tim Ward the Kiwi - Australian,

"Infamous" facebook writer with a BIG follower group posted that.

He, who has 2 knives (once used to stab a Canadian teacher in Pattaya)

and a special screw driver against Ladyboys in his pocket - that one could crack skulls. blink.png

All proudly presented in fb. whistling.gif

Is it my imagination or is the death per week ratio in Thailand showing an upward curve ? Not a week goes by without someone being killed,bashed,suiciding or falling from a balcony.Maybe its the hot weather syndrome.

Archived