Australian expat stabs to death Phuket nightclub worker

webfact

# 1 - No one should carry a weapon to go out drinking. If he feels he needs "protection", he's going to the wrong places.

# 2 - For those who will say he has every right to carry one, I say (see # 1) "why?" If he wants to trim his nails, carry a cuticle knife.

# 3 - It's a known fact many clubs do not want ANY videos being shot, outside or in.

# 3 - This man is 59. At this age, one needs to exercise better judgement, and in this case, do as he was told, then walk away.

# 5 - The alcohol always wins.

RIP to the young man. Let the perp feel the full extent of the law as there's really no other option. It isn't OZ.

Unless you have experienced assult, mugging, threats etc you can't really say what someone can and can't do. It's easy to judge.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 years living in the Sukhumvit Ghetto...

You learn 2 things to avoid trouble.

1) When trouble starts, walk away.

2) WALK AWAY !

That is if you can walk away. If you are laying on the ground getting beaten up it's not that easy.

"Initial police reports say he was walking past the Taipan nightclub at about 12.30am when he saw a scuffle involving a security guard evicting customers." - Brisbane Times

The first thing that makes sense and would explained instant and violent response from the guards.

I don't know about the rest of the world but in Sweden basically the only time bouncers are charged with excessive violence is when it's all been clearly caught on video.

will you get drunk ?

Before my stroke, I traveled all over the north and north east of Thailand on my CBR. I'm a 4th Dan in Shotokan, 2nd Dan in Akido, and held a Master's ranking in Military Martial arts, and yes, I still carried a 4" combat boot knife (concealed) with me. Fortunately, I never let myself be put into a situation where I had to defend myself, but if it did happen, I was prepared. Am I some "nutter"? I hardly think so. But I am a man who always tries to consider all possible scenarios and be prepared for them.

Phuketwan painting a very different picture.

Yes also other news reports all different views of what happened.

One report quotes the Police saying he got his head injuries trying to escape them.

I don.t understand why he needs to take a knife to a Rotary meeting.

One report quotes the Police saying he got his head injuries trying to escape them.

He is a boat builder. The knife is for cutting rope and fashioning wooden figureheads.

Australian businessman charged with murder over death at Phuket nightclub
Lindsay Murdoch

Bangkok: An Australian businessman living on the Thai resort island of Phuket has been charged with murder after a Thai nightclub security guard died from stab wounds early on Wednesday.

Mark Hamilton Pendlebury, 59, is believed to have been walking home from a Rotary meeting when he became involved in an altercation outside a nightclub in Patong, a tourist entertainment area on the island.

Formerly of Western Australia, Mr Pendlebury is involved in charity work, runs a boating business and has lived on Phuket for about 10 years.

Initial police reports say he was walking past the Taipan nightclub at about 12.30am when he saw a scuffle involving a security guard evicting customers.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/australian-businessman-charged-with-murder-over-death-at-phuket-nightclub-20150311-141bez.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2015-03-11

as all the armchair detectives have all ready worked this one out

let me add something from outside the box

the security guard had the blade and the Aussie was a Vet that knew hand to hand combat

the gung ho cocky young Thai security guard told the Aussie to stop video recording as he was doing or about to do something illegal ie use the blade on the people already fighting.

He turned on the Aussie and a fight started.

The Aussie managed to get the blade as the Thai and he fell to the ground.

The Thai fell on his own blade.

Nice and neat self defense.

A digger twice the age of the security guard?

Thats what happened.

BeforeTigers, on 11 Mar 2015 - 13:02, said:

Oh, TV

Day and night this forum sounds off about what a violent hell hole Pattaya is.

Now this dude has a little blade on him and suddenly he's a pussy just for having it?

What's wrong with carrying a knife?

Knives aren't for fighting. Nobody would say they were. What do you think; he was videotaping a fight in public just so he could assault someone?

If I ever felt the need to carry a knife in Thailand for self protection or to be used in self defence...............then I'd also know it's time to leave.

He is a boat builder. The knife is for cutting rope and fashioning wooden figureheads.

Yes fair enough should of thought of that.

Hang him dry brigade,

There's a law stating that if a person is feeling his life is somewhat in Danger, he has the right to protect himself by any means he feels to do so.
If that means using a weapon for him to protect his life then so be it. I'm also a man who always tries to consider all possible scenarios and be prepared for them. But don't carry knives or guns on me.

Many years ago an American guy I know had a kataoey bump/brush past him on Soi Nana, he hit the kataoey with his walking stick.

Five minutes later 4 Thai guys showed-up, near Soi 5, he ended up with a knife in the ribs, punctured lung, and a trip back to the States for treatment.

The realities of life, Hanging around bars, nightclubs etc, should be getting old for those over 50. Why on earth would anyone at that age

be hanging around low life, trash life styles. What is their to gain, night after night sitting in the same stool, listening to the same old jokes, same old

bar flies hustling drinks, loud music, yelling, shouting, and the parade of despicable acts as adults? What kind of life style do you call this? A Party Goer,

A bar stool Jock? A happy go lucky guy? ......someone just on Vacation?..........Or some old person who lost themselves in an atmosphere of resentment

to society, and decency? What happened to the nice little bar around the corner you stop in and order a beer and talk about the weather or the latest on the new.

Nowadays, its motcho men poking remarks to each other seeing who's the biggest blot in the bar. I just don't get it! Most decent men stay away from such establishments. They come here looking for some fun, some aquatints with the girls. then leave and go home. Yet little do they realize their actions in a bar drunk will determine their fate when sober. Having a concealed weapon in a bar is plainly against the law, and no excuse. He was watching a fight that broke out in the bar. He wanted to take a video of it with his Cellular phone or camera. One of the bar workers told him not to photograph it. he didn't listen.

The young man pushed the camera out of the way. The Australian man got belligerent and pull out his knife......the rest is history which he will be shrugging in

his mind for quiet some time. And all for what?........He came to Thailand to have a good time.........one Thai dead, and one in jail for a long time..........some fun!

as all the armchair detectives have all ready worked this one out

let me add something from outside the box

the security guard had the blade and the Aussie was a Vet that knew hand to hand combat

the gung ho cocky young Thai security guard told the Aussie to stop video recording as he was doing or about to do something illegal ie use the blade on the people already fighting.

He turned on the Aussie and a fight started.

The Aussie managed to get the blade as the Thai and he fell to the ground.

The Thai fell on his own blade.

Nice and neat self defense.

A digger twice the age of the security guard?

Thats what happened.

Yep, I believe you.

The guard had the knife and attacked the man quietly taking a video. Often people take a video in violent situations.

It is a peaceful way of saying.

Hey stop now, people are watching, there will be evidence. Hopefully he got enough on camera to show some truths. Somebody tell him to make many copies, as through self experience, evidence disappears all the time.

The police are not his friends.

He should remember that at all times.

Hang him dry brigade,

There's a law stating that if a person is feeling his life is somewhat in Danger, he has the right to protect himself by any means he feels to do so.

If that means using a weapon for him to protect his life then so be it. I'm also a man who always tries to consider all possible scenarios and be prepared for them. But don't carry knives or guns on me.

You can defend yourself as long as, your immediate life is in danger but IF he's carried that knife around then the first question the police need to ask is "why he does".....saying it's for protection is not a viable answer as it's illegal to carry around weapons such as knives unless entitled to do so. No one knows what happened yet so speculating is pretty pointless, what I will say is that IF it is his knife then he's going to be charged with something.

Errrr, Aussies are not generally aggressive people, especially when drunk.......

This must have been an exception.......

RIP, Sanya Khlueawaengmon.

Hope the man that killed you gets what he deserves.

Err, how can you generalise that?

Yep, hope he gets everything he deserves. Might also shut up a few of the knuckle heads on TV who constantly crow about their "rights" to carry weapons in this country especially the multitude that are proud to tell everyone they carry knives on their person in their vehicles and wherever else for "protection". Weapon carried by cowards pure and simple.

My local policeman told me to carry a samurai sword in my pick up in case of " robber" he was VERY serious and produced one to show me what to get.

I never did but he was serious.

but he wont do your prison time for you

The realities of life, Hanging around bars, nightclubs etc, should be getting old for those over 50. Why on earth would anyone at that age

be hanging around low life, trash life styles. What is their to gain, night after night sitting in the same stool, listening to the same old jokes, same old

bar flies hustling drinks, loud music, yelling, shouting, and the parade of despicable acts as adults? What kind of life style do you call this? A Party Goer,

A bar stool Jock? A happy go lucky guy? ......someone just on Vacation?..........Or some old person who lost themselves in an atmosphere of resentment

to society, and decency? What happened to the nice little bar around the corner you stop in and order a beer and talk about the weather or the latest on the new.

Nowadays, its motcho men poking remarks to each other seeing who's the biggest blot in the bar. I just don't get it! Most decent men stay away from such establishments. They come here looking for some fun, some aquatints with the girls. then leave and go home. Yet little do they realize their actions in a bar drunk will determine their fate when sober. Having a concealed weapon in a bar is plainly against the law, and no excuse. He was watching a fight that broke out in the bar. He wanted to take a video of it with his Cellular phone or camera. One of the bar workers told him not to photograph it. he didn't listen.

The young man pushed the camera out of the way. The Australian man got belligerent and pull out his knife......the rest is history which he will be shrugging in

his mind for quiet some time. And all for what?........He came to Thailand to have a good time.........one Thai dead, and one in jail for a long time..........some fun!

Daniel the ozzie was passing outside on his way home from a meeting with his disabled friend in a wheelchair. He saw a fight in the entrance and stopped to take a photo.

Did you read news article?

Did you see it happen?

Firstly we dont know if he was defending himself from a beating from a much younger person, but yes let hang him high...facepalm.gif

Secondly a huge % of Thai males carry weapons in their cars, you think those market stalls have all that stuff just for show?rolleyes.gif

Thirdly you better be able to escape, cause some will use them for minor slight.crazy.gif

sorry, but if he want to defend himself because he got beaten .. just pulling or showing the knife would be enough to hold them off and get out of there ..

no need to stab someone dead in my opinion..

Let me guess, you are one of those misinformed people who think that "just pulling a gun out and waving it around" is a good idea to protect your property, scare off a burglar or for whatever else you can think of??

This story stinks from beginning to end, and my benefit of the doubt absolutely goes in favor of the man defending himself against permanent injury or worse.

As I have stated before, any time a foreigner is involved in an issue that gets a story, the foreigner's statement NEVER reaches our eyes or ears. It is either pure bad reporting with all the Thai details, or something as ludicrous as this piece of crap.

The ones bashing the man need to step back and take a breathe and realize that:

We are talking about Phuket: Death Island Number 2

A foreigner is accosted by a Thai worker without provocation: as stupid as a 7-11 attendant chasing down a robber and getting stabbed to death.

The foreigner is battered about the head by one and maybe more Thais. Head wounds bleed profusely, and even more so when alcohol thins the blood. This man was probably covered in blood and going into a state of panic/shock before he felt the overwhelming sense of self-preservation.

The Thai/Thais did not back off. They were probably like a pack of jackals attacking a wounded lion. They probably had THEIR blood lust up and were simply not going to let this man off easy with a warning, as attested by the multiple head wounds.

We don't know any facts beyond the photograph and the report that the Thai man who put those wounds there had to do so before he received the death wound in his stomach. Clearly, the Thai man did not stop until he received the wound.

And because why... because a foreigner was filming another fight that all the Thai workers were just standing around and watching and doing nothing... and had enough time to case the joint and watch out for what other people were doing instead.

One question is, would this Thai man, or those Thai men, have given any indication to the profusely bleeding and bruised foreigner that they were going to cease and desist. Between their calls to each other on which approach to get to the man and lay in another punch, and their profanity aimed at the foreigner, does anyone think that they spoke kindly to the man to hand over his phone and put his hands in the air (before the knife was produced)?

There are so many holes in this puzzle, yet I am absolutely certain of the despicable, animal behavior of the Thai men on these islands (Phuket and Koh Tao) as ALWAYS depicted in daily newspaper headlines, that the man was entirely fighting for what he emphatically believed was his life.

He was in a corner and surrounded. He lives there for 10 years. He knows all the stories. He knows what happens when these wolf packs attack a foreigner. He knows no one escapes without serious bodily injury. He knows that Thais can't stop head stomping and face kicking once they get rolling and the victim is unfortunate enough to go down beneath their unmerciful blows.

Before he was attacked, he was not doing anything that anyone else might do, and do so without any feelings of violating any rules, code, ethic, etc. The idiot that attacked him should have been doing his job and should have been breaking up the fight going on instead of worrying about a foreigner filming the fight. Who knows how many bar girls and other Thais were also filming the fight, which perhaps inspired the foreigner to join in? Possible? Absolutely.

The disgusting behavior of the Thai worker and his cohorts are what caused all of this. The death is a matter of self-defense. The deceased, in all likelihood was in a sober rage that far and beyond incriminates him compared to a drunk customer minding his own business and being forced (FORCED) to protect himself from what he knows, in all likelihood, was an out and out over the top beating.

Stab wounds come from being in close quarters, and I doubt the foreigner was the one chasing the Thai around the premises and carrying the fight to the Thai.

Self-defense; in that he did nothing wrong before being singled out and compelled to fight for his life, or be permanently injured or worse were he to take what they were dealing out to him.

Just my take, and I wonder how many Aussie bashers have ever had their heads caved in and, still being capable, did nothing. Clearly his counter punches were not effective enough to make these animals stop. Clearly, when in shock, if plan A does not work, regardless of the consequences, one goes to plan B. Not doing anything results in ones permanent injury or epitaph. I think the Aussie sensed that in a fleeting moment even though he was drunk. The disgusting thing is that a grown adult sober man did not have the sense enough to stop trying to injure or kill a drunk, elderly (ELDERLY) man for using his telephone to film a stupid fight that the grown adult sober man ignored.

Apologies if I insulted anyone, but at least I did not leave any profusely bleeding head wounds.

This story stinks from beginning to end, and my benefit of the doubt absolutely goes in favor of the man defending himself against permanent injury or worse.

As I have stated before, any time a foreigner is involved in an issue that gets a story, the foreigner's statement NEVER reaches our eyes or ears. It is either pure bad reporting with all the Thai details, or something as ludicrous as this piece of crap.

The ones bashing the man need to step back and take a breathe and realize that:

We are talking about Phuket: Death Island Number 2

A foreigner is accosted by a Thai worker without provocation: as stupid as a 7-11 attendant chasing down a robber and getting stabbed to death.

The foreigner is battered about the head by one and maybe more Thais. Head wounds bleed profusely, and even more so when alcohol thins the blood. This man was probably covered in blood and going into a state of panic/shock before he felt the overwhelming sense of self-preservation.

The Thai/Thais did not back off. They were probably like a pack of jackals attacking a wounded lion. They probably had THEIR blood lust up and were simply not going to let this man off easy with a warning, as attested by the multiple head wounds.

We don't know any facts beyond the photograph and the report that the Thai man who put those wounds there had to do so before he received the death wound in his stomach. Clearly, the Thai man did not stop until he received the wound.

And because why... because a foreigner was filming another fight that all the Thai workers were just standing around and watching and doing nothing... and had enough time to case the joint and watch out for what other people were doing instead.

One question is, would this Thai man, or those Thai men, have given any indication to the profusely bleeding and bruised foreigner that they were going to cease and desist. Between their calls to each other on which approach to get to the man and lay in another punch, and their profanity aimed at the foreigner, does anyone think that they spoke kindly to the man to hand over his phone and put his hands in the air (before the knife was produced)?

There are so many holes in this puzzle, yet I am absolutely certain of the despicable, animal behavior of the Thai men on these islands (Phuket and Koh Tao) as ALWAYS depicted in daily newspaper headlines, that the man was entirely fighting for what he emphatically believed was his life.

He was in a corner and surrounded. He lives there for 10 years. He knows all the stories. He knows what happens when these wolf packs attack a foreigner. He knows no one escapes without serious bodily injury. He knows that Thais can't stop head stomping and face kicking once they get rolling and the victim is unfortunate enough to go down beneath their unmerciful blows.

Before he was attacked, he was not doing anything that anyone else might do, and do so without any feelings of violating any rules, code, ethic, etc. The idiot that attacked him should have been doing his job and should have been breaking up the fight going on instead of worrying about a foreigner filming the fight. Who knows how many bar girls and other Thais were also filming the fight, which perhaps inspired the foreigner to join in? Possible? Absolutely.

The disgusting behavior of the Thai worker and his cohorts are what caused all of this. The death is a matter of self-defense. The deceased, in all likelihood was in a sober rage that far and beyond incriminates him compared to a drunk customer minding his own business and being forced (FORCED) to protect himself from what he knows, in all likelihood, was an out and out over the top beating.

Stab wounds come from being in close quarters, and I doubt the foreigner was the one chasing the Thai around the premises and carrying the fight to the Thai.

Self-defense; in that he did nothing wrong before being singled out and compelled to fight for his life, or be permanently injured or worse were he to take what they were dealing out to him.

Just my take, and I wonder how many Aussie bashers have ever had their heads caved in and, still being capable, did nothing. Clearly his counter punches were not effective enough to make these animals stop. Clearly, when in shock, if plan A does not work, regardless of the consequences, one goes to plan B. Not doing anything results in ones permanent injury or epitaph. I think the Aussies sensed that in a fleeting moment even though he was drunk. The disgusting thing is that a grown adult sober man did not have the sense enough to stop trying to injure or kill a drunk, elderly man for using his telephone to film a stupid fight that the grown adult sober man ignored.

Apologies if I insulted anyone, but at least I did not leave any profusely bleeding head wounds.

I sincerely hope you never ever ever become a police officer. There are these little things called facts, writing down what YOU THINK happened is not factual.

You say those bashing the man need to step back before YOU then going on to write a version of events that almost defines SPECULATION. I remember a similar story a few years ago involving a group of 3 English thugs who got involved in a fight with some Thai bouncers ,ended up jumping into the sea and one drowned. Everyone then raved and ranted about how the bouncer thugs should serve life and that they're animals only to conveniently disappear when the truth came out about how the three Brits were violent thugs who had just recently been released from prison for a string of violent acts in the UK.

You seem like another apologist, in fact maybe you should defend the Aussie, you have your closing statement already prepared it seems.

Archived