Australian expat stabs to death Phuket nightclub worker

webfact

BeforeTigers, on 11 Mar 2015 - 13:02, said:

Oh, TV

Day and night this forum sounds off about what a violent hell hole Pattaya is.

Now this dude has a little blade on him and suddenly he's a pussy just for having it?

What's wrong with carrying a knife?

Knives aren't for fighting. Nobody would say they were. What do you think; he was videotaping a fight in public just so he could assault someone?

If I ever felt the need to carry a knife in Thailand for self protection or to be used in self defence...............then I'd also know it's time to leave.

the problem with that is, the time you'll "feel the need" could probably be too late. I'm happy to pre-empt any "need" and support those that do also..

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP to the victim. As for the perpetrator, however this is dressed up he will likely die in a squalid hellhole of a cell. If guilty it will be his just desserts for an inability to either walk away from a confrontation or fight like a man

Sounds like you know all the details. How does a "man" fight?

will you get drunk ?

Before my stroke, I traveled all over the north and north east of Thailand on my CBR. I'm a 4th Dan in Shotokan, 2nd Dan in Akido, and held a Master's ranking in Military Martial arts, and yes, I still carried a 4" combat boot knife (concealed) with me. Fortunately, I never let myself be put into a situation where I had to defend myself, but if it did happen, I was prepared. Am I some "nutter"? I hardly think so. But I am a man who always tries to consider all possible scenarios and be prepared for them.

Seeing as how I don't drink, and haven't had a drink in almost 40 years, not too likely.

Oh, TV

Now this dude has a little blade on him and suddenly he's a pussy just for having it?

Knives aren't for fighting. Nobody would say they were. What do you think; he was videotaping a fight in public just so he could assault someone?

If I ever felt the need to carry a knife in Thailand for self protection or to be used in self defence...............then I'd also know it's time to leave.

the problem with that is, the time you'll "feel the need" could probably be too late. I'm happy to pre-empt any "need".

So what you're essentially saying is that you're happy to break the law INCASE you need to defend yourself? I've lived in Thailand for 4 years, never thought I required a weapon. If you carry a knife around and " pre empt" the need to use it then I hope the person you " pre emptly" pull it on doesn't have a gun or you may find " pre empting" has done you a cropper.

Oh, TV

the problem with that is, the time you'll "feel the need" could probably be too late. I'm happy to pre-empt any "need".

So what you're essentially saying is that you're happy to break the law INCASE you need to defend yourself? I've lived in Thailand for 4 years, never thought I required a weapon. If you carry a knife around and " pre empt" the need to use it then I hope the person you " pre emptly" pull it on doesn't have a gun or you may find " pre empting" has done you a cropper.

You're making stuff up. I never said break the law. Carrying a knife is not breaking the law, unless you are stupid enough to tell the police the reason you carry it is for "self protection".

Personally, I believe protecting one's life is a basic human right. Countries like Thailand don't have human rights so you need another legitimate reason to carry a knife.

The shoe is on the other foot. I lost count of Aussies that were mugged, stabbed or otherwise ripped off by locals. Still fresh in my mind is the poor female travel agent stabbed to death while having her handbagged grabbed in Patong ... simply walking home.

No excuse, I know, but we read a lot less of foreigners stabbing locals than the other way around.

He should get what he deserves but I expect self-defence may feature strongly in this one.

I just wonder what possessed Mark to want to film or photograph a fight outside Taipan. My reaction would be to get away from there as quickly as possible. I've seen and once even experienced violent reactions from people that have taken offence at being photographed.

Oh, TV

You're making stuff up. I never said break the law. Carrying a knife is not breaking the law, unless you are stupid enough to tell the police the reason you carry it is for "self protection".

Personally, I believe protecting one's life is a basic human right. Countries like Thailand don't have human rights so you need another legitimate reason to carry a knife.

Carrying a knife on one's person if it's over a certain size and not required for work IS ILLEGAL. It's classed as a concealed weapon.

And yes protecting ones life IF IN IMMEDIATE DANGER is a human right but that doesn't give people the right to walk around with weapons INCASE they need protection, if that were the case then I'd choose a gun as the range is slightly superior don't you think.

I'm 36 and have never once thought I needed to carry a knife around....I guess either I don't frequent places that I feel intimidated at or that I don't suffer paranoia. If anyone thinks Thailand is so violent they need a sharp potentially leathal weapon on them at all times, then maybe it's time to move somewhere else.

Before my stroke, I traveled all over the north and north east of Thailand on my CBR. I'm a 4th Dan in Shotokan, 2nd Dan in Akido, and held a Master's ranking in Military Martial arts, and yes, I still carried a 4" combat boot knife (concealed) with me. Fortunately, I never let myself be put into a situation where I had to defend myself, but if it did happen, I was prepared. Am I some "nutter"? I hardly think so. But I am a man who always tries to consider all possible scenarios and be prepared for them.

as you sound like an expert let me ask a question;

are nunchaks not better than a knife?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Seriously, I can't imagine a 59 years old taking down a 25 years thug with a knife 3 inches long .

To my opinion, the Aussie has been framed to leave the real culprit off the hook.

In any case, he obviously acted in self defense.

He should be released immediately and cleaned of all charges , even better given a medal for his standing against Thai thugs.

Seriously?

Carrying a knife on one's person if it's over a certain size and not required for work IS ILLEGAL. It's classed as a concealed weapon.

And yes protecting ones life IF IN IMMEDIATE DANGER is a human right but that doesn't give people the right to walk around with weapons INCASE they need protection, if that were the case then I'd choose a gun as the range is slightly superior don't you think.

I'm 36 and have never once thought I needed to carry a knife around....I guess either I don't frequent places that I feel intimidated at or that I don't suffer paranoia. If anyone thinks Thailand is so violent they need a sharp potentially leathal weapon on them at all times, then maybe it's time to move somewhere else.

Your argument is so stupid. It's like saying if you feel the need to wear seatbelt at all times, then it's time to stop driving anywhere. (Do you wear a seatbelt?)

If you don't agree with other people taking prevention then that's your problem.

There was a fight between a Frenchman and an Indian and a 59 year old Aussie was filming the ordeal.....A Thai employee tells him he cant film it and a fight ensues. The Thai 25 not pictured could have been a 200lb thug bouncer ......could be the Aussie wasnt drunk...could be the Thai had a bat...Could be Self Defense........

So the guy is fighting one person then starts on the Aussie guy who defends himself quite rightly in this case the Thai guy comes off worse. No one has the right to attack you if you are filming an incident. It could have easily ended up with the aussie dead. lets face it you can be attacked for a 100 baht and killed. take the Yank in BKK. Poor devil butchered on the street over 100 odd baht fare. Bonkers.. Amazing Thailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

# 1 - No one should carry a weapon to go out drinking. If he feels he needs "protection", he's going to the wrong places.

# 2 - For those who will say he has every right to carry one, I say (see # 1) "why?" If he wants to trim his nails, carry a cuticle knife.

# 3 - It's a known fact many clubs do not want ANY videos being shot, outside or in.

# 3 - This man is 59. At this age, one needs to exercise better judgement, and in this case, do as he was told, then walk away.

# 5 - The alcohol always wins.

RIP to the young man. Let the perp feel the full extent of the law as there's really no other option. It isn't OZ.

Considering the line of work he was involved in, it would not be out of the bounds of reason that he habitually carried a knife.

As a utility (EDC), not for defence or offence.

I say this only in his defence for perhaps having the knife, not with what he did with it.

For the last 42 years, everyday, i have carried a knife on my person. If going out on the town I have never intentionally taken one out with me, but on occasion found one in my pocket on returning home.

Successfully never stabbed anyone either.

What business was it of the bouncer to tell anyone one to stop filming? Does he own the rights by any chance? These bouncers go around thinking they can do whatever they want. Hopefully this unfortunate event will make the rest wiser about confronting people without a right in an atmosphere clearly prone to conflict

There are some places in this world that does not allow photography - like a super market.

Hopefully this unfortunate event will make the rest wiser about confronting people without a right in an atmosphere clearly prone to conflict

On the other hand, the bouncers will be wiser and send the initiator to his creator faster.

coffee1.gif

So the guy is fighting one person then starts on the Aussie guy who defends himself quite rightly in this case the Thai guy comes off worse. No one has the right to attack you if you are filming an incident. It could have easily ended up with the aussie dead. lets face it you can be attacked for a 100 baht and killed. take the Yank in BKK. Poor devil butchered on the street over 100 odd baht fare. Bonkers.. Amazing Thailand

WOW! Once again Thailand at fault!

as you sound like an expert let me ask a question;

are nunchaks not better than a knife?

In practicality, yes, but also much harder to carry around or conceal. lol

Your argument is so stupid. It's like saying if you feel the need to wear seatbelt at all times, then it's time to stop driving anywhere. (Do you wear a seatbelt?)

If you don't agree with other people taking prevention then that's your problem.

Similarly your comparison to wearing seatbelts definitely wins today's star prize for stupidity...

Since when has wearing a seatbelt to limit harm to yourself ever caused harm to or killed anybody else??

Yes you are a nutter and a fool and as we Aussies say a tosser. With all your martial arts qualifications still need to carry a weapon? And yes concealed weapons are illegal that means wrong nucklehead. Ps having black belts in whatever does not mean u can fight in "real" scenarios. [emoji380][emoji380]

And the problem of the person being caught carrying an illegal concealed weapon.

need more info before we hang him.

All sailors carry knives.

Easily could have been in fear of getting kicked to death.

Certainly bouncers in this country have killed a few, as they have done in most countries.

All sailors carry knives.

cheesy.gif

Similarly your comparison to wearing seatbelts definitely wins today's star prize for stupidity...

Since when has wearing a seatbelt to limit harm to yourself ever caused harm to or killed anybody else??

Haha haha yeah, he clearly doesn't see the difference in what the law expects ie// wearing a seatbelt and what the law forbids ie// carrying a concealed weapon.

Some of the commentators on here have the reasoning of an amoeba.

The sole purpose of the seat belt is to protect your life in the very rare event that you may have a life threatening accident.

The sole purpose of carrying a weapon for protection is to protect your life in the very rare event that you may have a life threating incident.

The fact that your life is in danger warrants the use of deadly force. Do you honestly expect that saying to a murderer "please Mr Rapist/Home Invader/Robber don't hurt me" is enough to save your life?

I'd rather take my chances in court and be alive, than some high moralist lying dead in the morgue.

Yep, hope he gets everything he deserves. Might also shut up a few of the knuckle heads on TV who constantly crow about their "rights" to carry weapons in this country especially the multitude that are proud to tell everyone they carry knives on their person in their vehicles and wherever else for "protection". Weapon carried by cowards pure and simple.

My local policeman told me to carry a samurai sword in my pick up in case of " robber" he was VERY serious and produced one to show me what to get.

I never did but he was serious.

I carry a small pocket knife like 2 up to about 3 inch. It has nothing to do with self protection. it is for things that a pocket knife is made for. opening letters, and such and most important to cut meat on my dinner plate. What is it with Thai restaurants not giving you a knife with dinner? They give you a fork and a spoon with a meat dinner. They like to chop steak and chicken for you on a chopping block with bone splinters thru your meal.

I like to cut my own. It is ridiculous to forbid possession of pocket knifes.

I am all for locking the a*s-hole up for a long time for stabbing a man in the stomach with a pocket knife. Its not made for that. facepalm.gif

What business was it of the bouncer to tell anyone one to stop filming? Does he own the rights by any chance? These bouncers go around thinking they can do whatever they want. Hopefully this unfortunate event will make the rest wiser about confronting people without a right in an atmosphere clearly prone to conflict

Maybe he was filming to document a crime like a good citizen, or maybe he was just a violent lunatic making a video at someone's expense.

If he seemed to be getting pleasure from the fight, even perhaps laughing or cheering them on, i would tell him to stop as well. It's fair enough.

We don't really know why he was filming it.

Though, he stabbed someone to death with a concealed weapon. His own injuries seem superficial.

He might be an old violent thug who knew what he was doing. On the other hand, he could have been an innocent bystander trying to do the right thing, and when confronted got scared, and then stabbed someone in the wrong place.

The sole purpose of the seat belt is to protect your life in the very rare event that you may have a life threatening accident.

The sole purpose of carrying a weapon for protection is to protect your life in the very rare event that you may have a life threating incident.

The fact that your life is in danger warrants the use of deadly force. Do you honestly expect that saying to a murderer "please Mr Rapist/Home Invader/Robber don't hurt me" is enough to save your life?

I'd rather take my chances in court and be alive, than some high moralist lying dead in the morgue.

You've lost so why not give up, that hole is getting deeper.

Firstly wearing a seatbelt is a LAWFULL requirement, carrying a concealed weapon like a knife is AGAINST THE LAW.

And you've changed your argument, you never mentioned home invasion before...probably because this story has nothing to do with a home invasion yet because you're being schooled you've decided to change the goalposts.

All I know is that as an ex.Police officer I would have taken great delight in arresting you if I caught you with a concealed weapon, even more so if your personality in person is the same as you come across over the net. You're no dirty Harry so stop acting like one.

Archived