Australian expat stabs to death Phuket nightclub worker

webfact

His problem in the first place is carrying a weapon like a knife. If you start doing that you really should think about returning back to your home country . So whoever started the fight is not really that important , We all know that you should avoid any confrontation with Thais.

Now he has to pay the prize, maybe for the rest of his life.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As to the club policy on cameras. Tai Pan disco encourages photos, videos, etc. Anyone who says they had a policy against filming has never been to this part of Thailand.

This disco is at the main Bangla intersection.

There are CCTV cameras all around. Everything is on tape. I wonder when the footage will leak out.

Thais in this area, including the bouncers at this disco, and the tuk tuk and motorcycle drivers that park within meters of this club are prone to mob foreigners. It's never one on one.

Also, this incident happened quite early. Tai Pan doesn't even START to get busy until about 2am. About 3:30-4:30 it's really rockin.

At just after midnight, the night is just beginning.

About the only thing I have read in this thread as yet that is factual, other thing (and I am not disputing what the reports from differing sources say, but all Tai Pan security staff wear black pants, white or black collered shirts (depending on theme night) with Tai Pan logo front & back and Black FBI base ball caps. there are a couple of senior security who are in plain clothes, the guy in the pic is not one of these (maybe he was a new member of staff? as said 00.30 Tai pan is dead at that time, the Tuk Tuks will have just started to pull up and rank outside, is camera's all about so pics will come out... there is no Police box facing Tai Pan, Bar 69 directly faces it, normally a BIB sat having coffee top of Sansabai, just round corner 30 meters away, more to this than meets the eye or these initial reports, as for that knife, dont tell me that could not kill you, looks a bit more than a pen knife to me?

The realities of life, Hanging around bars, nightclubs etc, should be getting old for those over 50. Why on earth would anyone at that age

be hanging around low life, trash life styles. What is their to gain, night after night sitting in the same stool, listening to the same old jokes, same old

bar flies hustling drinks, loud music, yelling, shouting, and the parade of despicable acts as adults? What kind of life style do you call this? A Party Goer,

A bar stool Jock? A happy go lucky guy? ......someone just on Vacation?..........Or some old person who lost themselves in an atmosphere of resentment

to society, and decency? What happened to the nice little bar around the corner you stop in and order a beer and talk about the weather or the latest on the new.

Nowadays, its motcho men poking remarks to each other seeing who's the biggest blot in the bar. I just don't get it! Most decent men stay away from such establishments. They come here looking for some fun, some aquatints with the girls. then leave and go home. Yet little do they realize their actions in a bar drunk will determine their fate when sober. Having a concealed weapon in a bar is plainly against the law, and no excuse. He was watching a fight that broke out in the bar. He wanted to take a video of it with his Cellular phone or camera. One of the bar workers told him not to photograph it. he didn't listen.

The young man pushed the camera out of the way. The Australian man got belligerent and pull out his knife......the rest is history which he will be shrugging in

his mind for quiet some time. And all for what?........He came to Thailand to have a good time.........one Thai dead, and one in jail for a long time..........some fun!

Daniel the ozzie was passing outside on his way home from a meeting with his disabled friend in a wheelchair. He saw a fight in the entrance and stopped to take a photo.

Did you read news article?

People really need to be a bit more selective/sensitive about the situations and places in which they are wielding camera-phones

Daniel, hanging around bars,clubs, & pubs is a great British-traditioncoffee1.gif , to which advancing years are not in any way a hindrance! I am still an apprentice-drinker, and I turned fifty in January.

Our Aussie cousins could well have inherited this from us.thumbsup.gif

On my previous comment, many photo-journalists will attest to the dangers of using cameras in tricky-situationsw00t.gif

he's covered in blood from the fight, took a beating to the front, side and back of head

Exactly looks to me like it was self defense, he was approached and attacked by the sound of it and having been in Phuket ten years and in business hardly likely to suddenly become a murderer.

I have seen Thai nightclub staff in Phuket attack people (tourists) taking pictures before.

However let the facts be known and wait for the full story.

The realities of life, Hanging around bars, nightclubs etc, should be getting old for those over 50. Why on earth would anyone at that age

be hanging around low life, trash life styles. What is their to gain, night after night sitting in the same stool, listening to the same old jokes, same old

bar flies hustling drinks, loud music, yelling, shouting, and the parade of despicable acts as adults? What kind of life style do you call this? A Party Goer,

A bar stool Jock? A happy go lucky guy? ......someone just on Vacation?..........Or some old person who lost themselves in an atmosphere of resentment

to society, and decency? What happened to the nice little bar around the corner you stop in and order a beer and talk about the weather or the latest on the new.

Nowadays, its motcho men poking remarks to each other seeing who's the biggest blot in the bar. I just don't get it! Most decent men stay away from such establishments. They come here looking for some fun, some aquatints with the girls. then leave and go home. Yet little do they realize their actions in a bar drunk will determine their fate when sober. Having a concealed weapon in a bar is plainly against the law, and no excuse. He was watching a fight that broke out in the bar. He wanted to take a video of it with his Cellular phone or camera. One of the bar workers told him not to photograph it. he didn't listen.

The young man pushed the camera out of the way. The Australian man got belligerent and pull out his knife......the rest is history which he will be shrugging in

his mind for quiet some time. And all for what?........He came to Thailand to have a good time.........one Thai dead, and one in jail for a long time..........some fun!

The situation and the kind of Thai people you are talking about simply do not exist in this scenario. You sound like a nice man reacting to a situation that is far beyond your comprehension. I am sure that Billy Graham would feel the same way, but everyone is not like you and likes to go out and meet friends for a nice cool drink. Additionally, there are a lot of wordings in your post that do not make sense. There was no camera, and a lot of your interpretations of things sounds like they are coming from a pulpit.

It is becoming clearer that the Thai had the knife. That makes sense as no one jumped in and helped him because they figured it was "under control", Thai style (i.e. Thai thug with knife against seemingly old man with telephone). I had wondered why the Thais did not jump him all at once, and this explains one of the last details of what I do suspect. They did not jump him all at once because the foreigner did not have the knife and they held back to watch the show instead of trying to stop their idiot co-worker from killing an innocent man. It all happened so quickly and was over so fast. I am only still wondering why they did not jump him afterwards... or, what kept the jackals from wading in. Maybe the pros had showed u0p by that time.

If you read the update in post 102 and follow the link you see how over the top you are.

I feel a bit vindicated as all my prior posts are proving more accurate than I thought, with the exception that the man was walking past and not in the disco. This truly does incriminate that dead thug and the establishment, its owners, the night manager and the employees. Off premises is nothing more than an assault and/or a robbery if one is touching and grabbing. If it can be followed up and proven that the knife is indeed the thug's, then this will vindicate the foreigner without any further BS.

If the knife is the foreigners, then he had a right to use it when he was attacked and sustained injuries by the dead thug, which required medical attention at the hospital; injuries he sustained before any knife was produced.

Either way, this did not happen on premises, and rather instead in a public place. I suspect that the police will be reluctant to let this fish get away, but the more the evidence comes out, the less likely they will be to pursue it, and maybe mitigate it down to involuntary manslaughter or even self-defense against an assault and robbery with intent to harm or kill.

That is simply my view/guess, etc. but these news reporters really screw things up when they keep coming out with an update and changing what they implied before. I wish the foreigner all the best and a full recovery, as well as his friend with him that night, who was himself assaulted by the same kind of thugs.

No, sustaining injuries does not give the right to use s knife.

In the source that cannot be mentioned they interviewed him already, says self defense as he was being badly beaten by security guards for filming another altracation outside the club.

I can't help feeling there has to be some truth in this. Unless this bloke is a total picklehead. A 50 odd year old bloke doesn't voluntarilly get into an altercation with a 25 yr old bouncer. He's been here a good while and will know how it ends. I don't condone the result but I do question how it came about.

RIP to the victim. As for the perpetrator, however this is dressed up he will likely die in a squalid hellhole of a cell. If guilty it will be his just desserts for an inability to either walk away from a confrontation or fight like a man

Let us see.......

I agree he may well be sentenced, whether he will complete it in Thailand or die before is unknown.

He is a businessman.

Firstly we dont know if he was defending himself from a beating from a much younger person, but yes let hang him high...facepalm.gif

Secondly a huge % of Thai males carry weapons in their cars, you think those market stalls have all that stuff just for show?rolleyes.gif

Thirdly you better be able to escape, cause some will use them for minor slight.crazy.gif

sorry, but if he want to defend himself because he got beaten .. just pulling or showing the knife would be enough to hold them off and get out of there ..

no need to stab someone dead in my opinion..

Sorry, but it bothers me that you are projecting so much onto so few known facts. - Like, in the heat of a battle, when you are seeing red and there is blood already shed and so you have a weapon - you are supposed to not use it - you are supposed to let the beating go on ??

He walked past on his way home from a rotary meeting. Where he was discussing how he could use his freetime to help those less fortunate than himself at no cost.

Just showing how there can be two sides to a story and how easily people on here jump to conclusions.

My bet is he saw some very unfair bull going on started to record it and was then attacked himself. Unfortunately for the attacker he defended himself well.

Most decent men stay away from such establishments. They come here looking for some fun, some aquatints with the girls. then leave and go home.

Are you by any chance the famous retiree the TAT is citing all the time? You know, the one who came here to discover Thainess and explore the temples…

Detective Daniel. Are you sure you have all the facts correct? Who are you to place your beliefs on everyone else because they happen to be over 50 years old. Who owned the knife? There is discrepancy about that if you read all reports. Furthermore some reports suggest this is a business manager who was on his way home from a Rotary meeting. He was not sitting on a corner bar stool as you suggest. However, may l suggest you check all facts before bomb blasting us with your opinions

Knowing the captain a little bit, he probably had a few at the meeting. On his way home he saw something he did not like and try to do the right thing, and was in over his head before he knew it.

RIP to the victim. As for the perpetrator, however this is dressed up he will likely die in a squalid hellhole of a cell. If guilty it will be his just desserts for an inability to either walk away from a confrontation or fight like a man

Let us see.......

I agree he may well be sentenced, whether he will complete it in Thailand or die before is unknown.

He is a businessman.

Some years ago I read the book "The Last Executioner", written by the guy who was the last man to execute people with a gun in Thailand (I think he did 58). In it, he states that Westerners given very long, or life sentences in Thailand only serve eight years, at which point they are transferred to a prison in their home country. However, in advancing years, eight years in a Thai nick might not be survivable.

In an English courtroom I believe this guy would be convicted of manslaughter (Although I am no legal expert, by any means!). As I understand it, he would not be considered to have set out with intent to kill/murder, or with malice-aforethought, to use the legal terminology.

However, TIT!wai2.gif Also, probably best to wait and hear his side of the story.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Assume the pocket knife was folded up and in his pocket. Fight breaks out, Mr Pendlebury is taking pix, then finds himself in a battle. He's bloody and bruised by all accounts, so he then pulls out the pocket knife and opens it.

That could have been tricky in the heat of battle, given how finicky pocket knives are to open. Even trickier if his fingers were covered in blood or shaking from adrenaline.

Just a random thought.

Hi WWW, just for clarity...................wink.png;b++){var>

If the below picture is correct (picture taken from TacoHell's post #149 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/807620-australian-expat-stabs-to-death-phuket-nightclub-worker/?p=9173122 ) then the knife is definitely a lock knife, assisted opening with both thumb studs and flipper, and is very easily opened.

This does not however make it automatically an offensive weapon alone, most of the good EDC (every day carry) knives are lock knives for safety reasons.

post-76988-0-85696100-1426128195_thumb.j

Although it is difficult from the picture to see the actual size of the knife, I think it would be something similar to the Gerber shown below. The blade length is only 2.75 inches long, great utility tool but can also be quite a formidable weapon for its size.

post-76988-0-05265100-1426128215_thumb.j

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Aussie looks likes a big guy and by the looks of all blood he must of been getting a WHOOP'N so trying to even it out, Out came the blade..

Yep may have panicked if he was getting a good shoeing

Please help me understand who the gentleman is in the foreground.

He seems large, white and not Thai.

Are there Farang police here in Thailand??? and if so, do we grasp that this person is both judge and jury for the Thais, since language is a hurdle here, and the Thai would rely heavily on his interpretations and judgment. And please do not tell me that those Thai police speak English. Yes, to a small degree, but to truly understanding Australian English ??... no way. I am American and can not understand what folks from Oz are talking about half the time ! 555 !

In other words, who is this guy? Is he an official, or friend of the man charged?

Well here's a thought as to why you don't get understood: you don't speak Thai.

Maybe, just maybe after 10 years in Thailand this Aussie actually managed to learn how to speak Thai and fluently at that. You'd think 1 year would be enough to learn any language, but 10 years is certainly more than enough.

I don't know, but just saying.

My two cents worth, in regards to comments about carrying a knife. I'm a tradie and carry a pocket knife(leatherman) on me always. I use it half a dozen times a day, both when I'm working or a day off. To me its a tool, no different to a screw driver, which can be considered a weapon too. If you want to tell me I'm an idiot, fine. Once looked down the barrel of a pistol one night on the Myanmar border held by a drunk local. Had my pocket knife but certainly didn't consider myself armed.

I do realise that, in Australia, carrying a leatherman outside of work is illegal. A law to cover the lowest denominator.

Sorry if this has been posted, and that I can't seem to get it embedded. Anywho, you can see the Aussie on the left in a white shirt, than crossing the road, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hn6TsoSx2g&feature=youtu.be

This link is from another topic, but it's well worth posting here. Watch the guy in the white shirt cross the road (time 0:30) from left to right side (Taipan) with camera phone in hand. What do you think happened?

Someone mentioned it was a case 3 inch pocket knife. Is this fact? This is typically a knife carried for peeling fruit, opening a box or times you just need a cutting tool other than inflicting wounds. Most people collect them and not for self defense. Not taking anyone's side just mentioning the weapon used is usually not going to result in death if pulled out so it is hard to say this man carried a knife for ill reasons. RIP

Photo of the actual knive in police evidence

attachicon.gifknife.jpg

THIS IS NOT the same knife LMAO... &lt;deleted&gt;, go have a look at the previous articles and on other sites of the knife covered in blood in the plastic bag as evidence, where did you get this pic??? Have a look at your own site and more recently on page 11 of this thread showing the alleged "actual" knife, nonsense, just like this saga, NO CREDITABILITY at all.

I can tell you now, there are cameras out the front of the club, on a pole opposite, on the corner of the street adjacent plus as i mentioned previously, a manned Police Box is DIRECTLY opposite. Just another farang bashing, but in this case a Thai got killed coz the farang protected himself.

i saved BOTH images, but i cant post pics as a comparison... how do you do it? It just allows URL's not JPEG images etc... anyway if you look at the "bagged" knife as evidence a few posts up, compared with the one attached to the Mods post, they are clearly different looking at the blade where it meets the body/handle.

I may be blind, but i dont think so, what do you guys think looking at both pics? SAME SAME but different, as we say here... maybe its the other side of the knife, not sure.....Either way, its not a protective weapon designed only to kill, its a utility knife.

<snip>

THIS IS NOT the same knife LMAO... <deleted>, go have a look at the previous articles and on other sites of the knife covered in blood in the plastic bag as evidence, where did you get this pic??? Have a look at your own site and more recently on page 11 of this thread showing the alleged "actual" knife, nonsense, just like this saga, NO CREDITABILITY at all.

Just shows you that you cannot trust some news websites... oh well

Archived