BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Mencken

Online Jobs Throughly Unimpressive...Wait It Out.

Decent article and followup on the AJ board regarding teaching for peanuts. Urge anyone working public schools jobs to have a read.

Looking at the Aj board which now has nearly nine rows of badges, totally nearly 40 and the ridiculous posts to Craigslist. Some agencies have multiple badges, appearing even more desperate. Toss you a few extra K over 30k, its just a sweetener 33, 35k to entice you to jobs which agencies have burned out their teacher base. If it were a proper, decent job it would offer 40k at a minimum and witbout three paragraphs of stipulations.

The only thing worse than the standard online noise is the plethora of annoying "job boards".

You can really see the desperation and the crappy jobs stick out by the amount of ads any given agency is running.

Another striking thing, appears on the Aj board, there are all sorts of totally sketchy agencies. Seems like pimping you is such good money, everyone severyone trying to get in on it. So, well established or totally unknown, your fate is often the same.

If you are bound and determined to take an online job, if I were you, I would just wait it out and hope the salaries get raised. If not, head for China.

Unless a plum job calls your name, just sit the dance out, these 30-35k 25hr teaching, 40hr office jobs with zero overtime pay (in reality) and sketchy eoy bonus and non existent holidays aren't going anywhere.Sketchy head teachers that will do you know favor.

If you are applying for a bog standard teaching job - just wait, or better make way for China.

The question here is who blinks first. Which days a lot about your next employer.

Highly recommend a year or two in China. Maybe TCT will half sort itself out while you are away. Maybe your waivers will disappear. What's to lose?

"Lifestyle" choices are for people that have savings and options.

How or why anyone that actually needs the money will work for 30-35k a year is beyond me. I do understand the Filipino situation, but westerners working for less than the US national minimum wage (a kot less), is just pathetic.

Get some dignity, go to China and barring that wait till May or June. Thise shitty jobs are going nowhere.

Edited by Mencken

I understand your point and I agree.

I am assuming you are a teacher, so I say this with great kindness.

You are making those of us who are capable of our jobs look ridiculous by this post, which is littered with spelling mistakes. I hate the 'spelling police' as much as the next guy but you are just taking the piss.

Proof read your post please. wai.gif

Apologies. My poor eyesight + tablet screen.

Point well taken.

Edited by Mencken
  • Like 1

Beggars can't be choosers mate.

Stated like a man not in control of his destiny. It will be 25k for you sir.

You'd better multiply that by 8.

If you are bound and determined to take an online job, if I were you, I would just wait it out and hope the salaries get raised. If not, head for China.

Unless a plum job calls your name, just sit the dance out, these 30-35k 25hr teaching, 40hr office jobs with zero overtime pay (in reality) and sketchy eoy bonus and non existent holidays aren't going anywhere.Sketchy head teachers that will do you know favor.

If you are applying for a bog standard teaching job - just wait, or better make way for China.

​ Your post only shows your psychological circumstances you're in and you seem to be completely disillusioned.

Please Google American minimum wage and compare that with 35 K in Thailand. I do not know why you're trying to make many of us look like idiots, working for peanuts.Have you ever heard about people doing two or three jobs, to be able to survive in the States? Please see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage_in_the_United_States

And please do me a favor and go to China immediately. The guys I've met who did that all regret that they left their teaching positions to make slightly more money. working and living in a strange communist environment, etc....

I'm from a cold country in Europe, not even ten elephants could bring me back to the place where I grew up. I've quite well adopted to life in Thailand, speak the language good enough to get around and appreciate life here.

Got a lovely wife and a 16 year old son, who's very different to teenagers his age. We live in a nice villa, pay only 4 K/month, always have enough and decent food and I always have petrol in my tank.

I 'make" only 33 K a month, my wife a few baht, but we live a good life. Your story about 25 hour weeks, not paid holidays, etc... is a sort of misleading for many who might read your post.

Not all are working for agencies and there're schools out there, who treat foreigners the way it should be. With respect. All holidays, whole October and April paid. Plus many unexpected free days. I have six business days I can use when I want, as well.

​ Yes, I could definitely make a lot of money in Europe, but I couldn't live there anymore. And to work for monkey brain eating people who believe that makes them smarter and those who spit in swimming pools when people like us have a swim doesn't seem to be fun.

Finally, I'd like to wish you a nice flight to China. Best of luck, I truly hope that you'r not one of those who regret leaving Thailand after only two weeks.

Please keep us updated. 有好的旅行到中国 !( Have a good trip!) Niehauu Maa. thumbsup.gif

post-158336-0-07507500-1426076498_thumb.

post-158336-0-21441100-1426076937_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

Reading your post was akin to eavesdropping on someone else's' conversation,

i tried but could not understand your post, i was interested because i know how

badly paid the teachers are in Thailand BUT I also know a neighbour who taught

in China, he said not a good experience, i could not understand your post in

regards to the meaning of AJ Board or TCT, sorry i am not a teacher.

Beggars can't be choosers mate.

yes they ca,, they chose to be beggars, and the post is right about china, they will pay & pay well. they want to to taught, they want to learn. here not so much :-)

These 35k contracts are crap. Working in government schools where you don't get paid for 3 months a year equals out to about 26,000 a month considering the holidays you have to save for. That's peanuts. Considering that the demand for "qualified teachers" is higher and higher every year, will they start to pay more? How long before a TEFL and BA isn't enough and it must be a teahcing degree? I'm glad enough to have moved on to a 50,000 a month teahcing job because if I had to stay and work in one of these government schools for any longer I would also have moved to China, which I've heard nothing but good things about, or maybe even back to Japan.

These 35k contracts are crap. Working in government schools where you don't get paid for 3 months a year equals out to about 26,000 a month considering the holidays you have to save for. That's peanuts. Considering that the demand for "qualified teachers" is higher and higher every year, will they start to pay more? How long before a TEFL and BA isn't enough and it must be a teahcing degree? I'm glad enough to have moved on to a 50,000 a month teahcing job because if I had to stay and work in one of these government schools for any longer I would also have moved to China, which I've heard nothing but good things about, or maybe even back to Japan.

Sorry mate, but you seem to be another passenger on a flight to Beijing soon. Having "Lucifer" and some others on board might be very interesting.

In ten years working in Thailand, always with a proper visa and work permit, I always had 12 months contracts, summer and midterm break fully paid, inclusive all the holidays, etc...

I do not know any government school in Sisaket, nor in Ubon that only pays you for nine, or ten months. Do we really talk about the same topic now?

Have you ever heard the song "Money can't buy me love?" If not, please click on this link, please.

You've heard nothing but good things about teaching in China? Wow. How comes that I've never met one who's happy to work- and live- there?

It's the way of life why I made Thailand to my home country. I truly hope that your plane will always be on the Radar. -Niehauu Maa.-thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Yes, these are poor wages for qualified teachers. Not to brag but to bring an even deeper sense of the poor wages referred to in this discussion, I make $91,000 USD a year teaching English As a Second Language at a community college in the USA plus benefits (health and state pension). That amounts to 15 hours a week in the classroom for 9 months a year with holidays (Xmas Break of 3 weeks and Spring Vacation one week). Of course, I have been doing this for many years, and I am at the higher end of the salary scale. You can't compare it to Thailand. I just want to validate that you (English language teacher) are really worth so much more!

• Like 1