'Don't I have the right to use this sidewalk?' pedestrian asks

webfact

'Don't I have the right to use this sidewalk?' pedestrian asks
By Coconuts Bangkok

sidewalk_-_header2.jpg

BANGKOK: -- While street food is one of the best things Bangkok has to offer, the chaos it creates on the sidewalks isn’t.

An unhappy pedestrian brought up the forever-issue of street vendors occupying sidewalks on Pantip yesterday by posting images the ordinary scene of other walkers forced to step into traffic because there’s so space on the sidewalk for them.

“Don’t I have the right to use this sidewalk?” the anonymous user asked.

The photos were reportedly taken on Soi Sukhumvit 16. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/03/11/dont-i-have-right-use-sidewalk-pedestrian-asks

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-03-11

• Like 1

It's not like it's km after km of sidewalk. I don't mind bits of sidewalk (urgh, I mean pavement!) with street food on it as I love street food and it's a minor inconvenience

I can understand the difficulty for people though

I assume the carts had to get permits and things though?

What are sidewalks for? They're for pedestrians walking beside the road. Now that this incredible feat of brain work is settled, what is there to do with the street vendors? Every body loves the street vendors. Is there not a solution which accommodates both pedestrians and street vendors? Also, how many of these street vendors are VAT and tax registered?

In the G7 country where I come from, the large cities auction off a limited allocation of street-vendor spots which invariably end up controlled by a street vendor mafia.

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 2

Jingthing . You are wrong , you say it dont affesct me anymore. !!!HUH!!

i CANNOT GET MY WHEELCHAIR ON THE SIDEWALKS. Because they are to bloody high/ full of holes loose/ uneven slabs.

In short they are not safe to use walking or in a wheelchair.

Safer on the road, asyou are not a wheelchair user, you are not qualified to comment.

Yes let sellers use them , as they are not fit for anything else. Rant over do have a nice day

Think in your position i would be looking for a way to convert a sedgeway or something similar, i was once wheelchair bound almost 2 years so can imagine how it feels.

Bottom line in modern Thai culture pedestrians are ranked somewhat about soi dogs. If that.

Yeap wink.png

Probably because they don't have enough money to buy a motorbike or a car facepalm.gif

That is why motorbikes ( i love them) rank lower as cars.

• Like 1

Bottom line in modern Thai culture pedestrians are ranked somewhat about soi dogs. If that.

Yeap wink.png

Probably because they don't have enough money to buy a motorbike or a car facepalm.gif

True. That's what Thais think. Personally I can afford but don't want.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The answer is to build properly regulated hawker food courts as in Singapore ...

But it will never happen - they don't know how to regulate or organise anything - that's why they have food stands higgledy-piggledy blocking the PAVEMENTS. whistling.gif

• Like 2

Jingthing . You are wrong , you say it dont affesct me anymore. !!!HUH!!

i CANNOT GET MY WHEELCHAIR ON THE SIDEWALKS. Because they are to bloody high/ full of holes loose/ uneven slabs.

In short they are not safe to use walking or in a wheelchair.

Safer on the road, asyou are not a wheelchair user, you are not qualified to comment.

Yes let sellers use them , as they are not fit for anything else. Rant over do have a nice day

But let's get the vendors off the sidewalk, fix it so you can use it and get you off the dangerous road.

Please don't be so negative we are on your side.

• Like 2

I walk on the road most of the time, it's safer than turning your ankle on a loose tile & ending up arse over tit on the pavement.

Understand that. That's a related problem ... actual smooth sidewalks IF they are EVER cleared.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app