'Don't I have the right to use this sidewalk?' pedestrian asks

webfact

Stop moaning. At least you have the choice to use sidewalk ( IF AVAILABLE)

I dont, cannot walk but never moan about it.

You must lead a very sad boring life, if that is all you can moan about.

Well you are wrong.Why do you think silom vendors have been cleared in daytime?(creeping back tho) And it aint because of complaining farangs! Fact is folk often have to walk in the road due to one narrow gap on sidewalks. The reaction you get if try to push past their "made up shop" and it unsettles their stall is "W.T.F are you doing". It's a case of "that part of the footpath is MY space"! Edited by kingalfred

I have good friend who is blind and sidewalks here are of little use so he walks in street with his white cane . I bought him some bright shirts but feel like it's only a matter of time before he is hit . As great as Thailand is for him because of no sidewalks he moved back to states . Miss him but he is safer now I suppose [emoji85]

How about one side of the side sois with food carts and the other side for "walking" and fix the holes !

the army needs to re-think some of these ideas ,

as it puts many people out of work who may have liked the Army before but will be the new opposition,

From Rodney King

• People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids? … It’s just not right. It’s not right. It’s not, it’s not going to change anything. We’ll, we’ll get our justice … Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, we’re all stuck here for a while. Let’s try to work it out. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to work it out.
    • King appealing for calm during the Los Angeles riots (May 1, 1992)

I walk on the road most of the time, it's safer than turning your ankle on a loose tile & ending up arse over tit on the pavement.

Understand that. That's a related problem ... actual smooth sidewalks IF they are EVER cleared.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Baby steps. Baby steps. One thing at a time. IME Thais get confused if they have too many things to do at the same time. E.g. today crash hats ignore DLs. Tomorrow DL check ignore crash hats.
  • Like 1

Don't get me started on bikes riding on the sidewalks that do exist!

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yeah, once the sidewalks are cleared the motorcycles use them. A few days ago there was one behind me and he started honking to get me out of the way. Knowing most of this scum are carrying guns or knifes, I always have to swallow my anger and let them pass.$¥%##^>~
Yeah just like the Pattaya moto taxi drivers. When the only available parking spot, because all the kerb is taken up by motorcycles for rent that never get rented, and parking encroaches just a bit on what the moto taxis call "their road" watch out or you'll come back to find your car has been 'keyed'.

My favorite is when out for a walk and see a chair reserving the kerbside parking is to sit in it a while. That really seems to upset the shop owners but they don't / can't do anything, too many witnesses.

Edited by Keesters

Personally I think the street vendors should be ON THE STREET not the footpath

I was hit by a motor cycle while trying to pass some of these peddlers

All I got for my troubles was a fractured leg and my wallet found in the gutter MINUS my cash

What gives anyone the right to block the foot path

Block the path where these creatures live and watch the fireworks

Let them sell food in a controlled area and let them pay to use it

Also start to collect taxes from these vendors

• Like 1

Personally I think the street vendors should be ON THE STREET not the footpath

I was hit by a motor cycle while trying to pass some of these peddlers

All I got for my troubles was a fractured leg and my wallet found in the gutter MINUS my cash

What gives anyone the right to block the foot path

Block the path where these creatures live and watch the fireworks

Let them sell food in a controlled area and let them pay to use it

Also start to collect taxes from these vendors

Not on the street either. A couple weeks ago I was trying to retrieve my motorbike from where I'd legally parked it. Couldn't do so because some vendor blocked my exit. I asked politely. Ignored. I asks again. Ignored. I had to wait 15 minutes while she served up hot steaming noodles to a queue of people standing in the busy street slowing traffic.

When will they grow up and start considering the people around them instead of only themselves.

This is one of the reasons I've chosen Thailand as a place to live. These little venders on the sidewalk poses no threat to me

Walking on uneven sidewalks (Pathways) is more of a danger for pedestrians. I hate these brick cobble stone walkways, not only being uneven,

maintenance is for the most part nonexistent. I would rather see these venders working, making an honest living, then out at night

looking for ways of making a fast buck such as ripping a gold chain off of a person neck, or robbing a drunk passed out in an alleyway.

This is not Paris, London, or Berlin. Leave them alone, many other things in society to complain about then street venders!

This is one of the reasons I've chosen Thailand as a place to live. These little venders on the sidewalk poses no threat to me

Walking on uneven sidewalks (Pathways) is more of a danger for pedestrians. I hate these brick cobble stone walkways, not only being uneven,

maintenance is for the most part nonexistent. I would rather see these venders working, making an honest living, then out at night

looking for ways of making a fast buck such as ripping a gold chain off of a person neck, or robbing a drunk passed out in an alleyway.

This is not Paris, London, or Berlin. Leave them alone, many other things in society to complain about then street venders!

Well I think you'll be pretty much on your own. The Thai government, who consist of many Thai people, have decided in the interests of public safety whatever have decided to remove vendors from main roads. They apparently set up places (anybody know where they are) where they could go but the vendors refused. So now the vendors are blocking sidewalks of many sois. The vendors just don't get it. They are sidewalks, walks not stop and shop. They have been breaking the law for years and are now being asked not to. But instead of accepting their lot and saying 'well I got away with it for years time to move on' they do the same thing again in another place. Personally I would start slapping big fines to anybody that buys from them. Take away the vendors revenue and they'll soon find something else to do that probably also breaks a law as they have shown a disposition for doing so.

I have visited some wonderful off road markets selling fantastic street food. These places charge the same, pay rent, probably taxes and should be supported. Not the sidewalk encroachers.

• Like 2

Well I think you'll be pretty much on your own. The Thai government, who consist of many Thai people, have decided in the interests of public safety whatever have decided to remove vendors from main roads. They apparently set up places (anybody know where they are) where they could go but the vendors refused. So now the vendors are blocking sidewalks of many sois. The vendors just don't get it. They are sidewalks, walks not stop and shop. They have been breaking the law for years and are now being asked not to. But instead of accepting their lot and saying 'well I got away with it for years time to move on' they do the same thing again in another place. Personally I would start slapping big fines to anybody that buys from them. Take away the vendors revenue and they'll soon find something else to do that probably also breaks a law as they have shown a disposition for doing so.

I have visited some wonderful off road markets selling fantastic street food. These places charge the same, pay rent, probably taxes and should be supported. Not the sidewalk encroachers.

exactly! The designated site stalls are far more polite. Street vendors are arrogant and impolite.It's about time the army gov "did what they say they would do" Uphold the law! Dont hold your breath. We have seen the reaction when nons thai sell goods on street or even in designated area. Work permits blah blah..

Sidewalks ... hmmm .... what is the give away .. "side" or "walk"

They are meant for walk, it is suppose to be a place where people can walk safely from point A to point B

Having to step of the sidewalk onto the road where cars a zooming by is hazardous and should be unnecessary

The food carts / vendors should not be allowed to totally block a sidewalk under any circumstances

After all .... how will motrcycle taxis get by with the food carts in the way? 555

• Like 1

I do like to walk and I do have a disabilty so these venders piss me off when they use city sidewalk to line up chairs and tables and I have to step into the street.

A tourist on beach road was struck in the back of the head by a truck mirror, never did hear how that turned out. just because of the blocked sidewalk.

They finally paved and market spots at the night market pier funny how many vendors disappear. now see a couple with the stuff all set up and blocking sidewalk on Sukumvit. I just walk right through the middle. side walk not food walk.

Stop moaning. At least you have the choice to use sidewalk ( IF AVAILABLE)

I dont, cannot walk but never moan about it.

You must lead a very sad boring life, if that is all you can moan about.

Sorry you cant walk; really. However, that misfortune should not be used as a talisman to waive off a different point of view. You too were attracted to the thread!

• Like 2

They are a pain in the ass. Pure and simple. Every Thai I speak to is fed up with their sidewalks being taken over by the vendor mafia. It is not just foreigners moaning about it. What a pleasure it was to walk down Silom about an hour ago and not be dodging here and there around vendors. Now could the boys in green now go over to Sukhumvit Soi 11 and do likewise to the vendor mafia there. Many thanks.

• Like 2

And once the vendors or whatever are out the way hopefully the sidewalks can be repaired so you in your wheelchair can use them and get off the dangerous road. It is for you as well this action. We are on your side. Lighten up.

I have to admire your courage in using the road but there are better and safer alternatives.

Edited by Keesters

What are sidewalks for? They're for pedestrians walking beside the road. Now that this incredible feat of brain work is settled, what is there to do with the street vendors? Every body loves the street vendors. Is there not a solution which accommodates both pedestrians and street vendors? Also, how many of these street vendors are VAT and tax registered?

In the G7 country where I come from, the large cities auction off a limited allocation of street-vendor spots which invariably end up controlled by a street vendor mafia.

And in the G7 country where you come from how much does street food cost compared to Thailand? I bet people pay more taxes to, direct and indirect.

Yes, in the G7 country where I come from lay-by food vendors are sometimes controlled by some unsavory types - and the police do bugger all about it because it's the least of their worries.

Sidewalks on Sukhumvit in Thonglor are very wide and not blocked by vendors. So what happens?

They become secondary roads for motorcycles running up and down them to avoid having to weave through traffic.

Given the choice between the vendors and the motorcycles, I will choose the vendors. You don't necessarily have to walk out into the street, you just walk under their canopy (most of the time).

That said, a compromise might be that when the vendors tie up the sidewalk, they put up one of those temporary barricades that carves 4 or 5 feet out of the road to make it safe for pedestrians to walk around them. This would obviously not work everywhere, but would be a reasonable solution for some places.

Wheel chairs are another issue. The topic is about people being able to use a footpath that was built and designed for pedestrians. I feel people have a right to complain when they cannot use the public structure for what it was intended for. That is exactly why they call it a footpath not a food stall path. wai.gif

• Like 1

Wheel chairs are another issue. The topic is about people being able to use a footpath that was built and designed for pedestrians. I feel people have a right to complain when they cannot use the public structure for what it was intended for. That is exactly why they call it a footpath not a food stall path. wai.gif

Sorry but people in wheelchairs have as much right to the footpath/sidewalk/pavements as those who are able bodied. We are all pedestrians because we are not motor vehicles which belong on the road. So the discussion is about wheelchair users as well. I find your comment very offensive to those in wheelchairs.

Add on to previous post. Are we to assume using your logic that prams and pushchairs are also another issue and not to be discussed here because they don't have feet.

Edited by Keesters

Sorry but people in wheelchairs have as much right to the footpath/sidewalk/pavements as those who are able bodied. We are all pedestrians because we are not motor vehicles which belong on the road. So the discussion is about wheelchair users as well. I find your comment very offensive to those in wheelchairs.
can you please explain what exactly you find offensive on Callaway' post?