Officials consider banning kids from motorbikes

Lite Beer

Officials consider banning kids from motorbikes
By Coconuts Bangkok

children_on_motorbike.jpg

BANGKOK: -- To improve road safety officials are considering making it illegal for children under 6 to ride on a motorcycle.

The move comes as Thailand tries to come to grips with its high mortality from road accidents. More than 10 percent of children involved in road accidents end up dying, and most cases involve them riding on a motorcycle, according to Office of The Consumer Protection Board.

Read More: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/03/11/officials-consider-banning-kids-motorbikes

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-03-11

• Like 2

Good intention but a ban won't happen. Most the govt/police will do is try to increase public awareness of the associated danger (which will fall upon deaf ears), increased police check points, and a higher fine. But if a ban did occur I bet it would only result in a fine if caught.

I thought they were going to stop children DRIVING scoots. That might be possible to do. I see 8 year olds driving around all the time.

Riding on scoots? Fergetaboutit.

If they were old enough to understand bribes I'm sure they would. Too much paperwork,no compensation, and it's too bloody hot 555.

• Like 1

A complete ban isn`t a good idea IMHO. Even in germany a child of as little as 5 or 6 can be a passenger on a motorbike with appropriate child seat (of course only ONE per vehicle and with helmet). If children aren't allowed to be passengers on a motorbike, what comes next? Ban them from riding their own little bikes to elementary school? They must have the right to be outside traffic participants! Otherwise everything will even more focus on cars, cars, cars. There are really enough of them in thailand!

post-27134-0-66156800-1426108806_thumb.j

Edited by jackinthebox
  • Like 1

Thailand has enough traffic laws, Just not the will to enforce them properly.

here's the first one, education,

know the traffic laws then get a license

Running red lights

driving opposing to traffic

16 years old to get a license, ie; no more 7y/o's riding around .

Police prepared to do their job

• Like 2