Officials consider banning kids from motorbikes

Lite Beer

and what will poor people do?

ignore it?

Get a job? instead of riding around with kidsthumbsup.gif

So or the poor people who can't afford a car will do what to get their kids to school?

These people can't afford the private schools, or school bus fees and rely and the low cost temple schools or government schools.

I commented many times on the lack of safety with mum or pop riding a motor bike with one or more young kids - all without helmets. My misses pointed out that perhaps they have very little option.

If they can afford a motorcycle and the petrol/gas that goes with it, they can also afford to catch public transport. Last time I checked the availability of public transport in Thailand was absolutely AMAZING. There are literally half a dozen options even in the remotest village. You have motorcycle taxis (oops...maybe not in this case) or songthaews, minivans etc. There is absolutely NO need for anyone in Thailand to drive any vehicle themselves, if they don't want to. Public transport is everywhere. And it's also quite cheap. Ditch the motorcycle and catch a songthaew to school. Probably works out cheaper too.

Thailand ain't America my friend.

ignore it?

Get a job? instead of riding around with kidsthumbsup.gif

So or the poor people who can't afford a car will do what to get their kids to school?

These people can't afford the private schools, or school bus fees and rely and the low cost temple schools or government schools.

I commented many times on the lack of safety with mum or pop riding a motor bike with one or more young kids - all without helmets. My misses pointed out that perhaps they have very little option.

Financial status does not prove a need for motorbikes. Across the border in Yangon, people are much poorer, yet all two wheeled transportation has been banned in the city. No motorbikes, no bicycles. Still people seem to be able to get where they need to be.

• Like 1

Thought it was going to say "Banning kids under six from being in control of a m/cycle".

To me that would save more kids lives, I mean only license holders be in control of any motorised ride, as well as enforcing the already in place law about wearing a crash hat...

All the usual arrogant Caucasian responses bred from being brought up in developed relatively rich western nations.

I would applaud raising safety standards such as helmet wearing, safer riding etc. but transport reality in nations such as Thailand, Vietnam, etc. Includes motorcycles and taking children on them.

I ride a motorcycle to work in Bangkok, since where I work and where I live makes public transport a slow process, and a car even slower. I occasionaly take my child (5 years) to school or an event on the motorcycle, they wear a fitting helmet and I ride with great care.

I consider myself a responsible parent and I know that there is a risk. But I won't stop my children, and I have three older adult children, from participating in many activities purely based on some potential risks.

Let the Expat "sit in a bar all day" judges say what they want. Get off your a## and enjoy life

I think you are the arrogant one.

Did you know that there are actually Thais out there that REFUSE to ride a motorcycle and similarly REFUSE to let their children even ride one as a pillion passenger, let alone ride one themselves? Many of these Thais are middle-class, well educated and live in Bangkok. They tend to own cars of course and case in point, I happen to live with one such family. Yes, my fiancee and her family. Although my fiancee rides as a pillion on my bike, we don't tend to drive very far, usually only in the moo baan or a little outside to go to 7-11 or the shops. Otherwise, it's everywhere by car. Her younger sister has NEVER sat on a motorcycle ever and she's in her early 20s. Her brother did maybe a few times as a young kid but now in his mid 20s he hasn't been on a bike for like more than 15 years. In fact, her sister wouldn't even sit on a motorcycle if it was driven by me. She's just scared of them.

ignore it?

I thought kids or 'underage drivers' were banned from riding motorbikes, and the rules were just not enforced. So what will happen? Just like banning motorbikes from riding on the sidewalks about two months ago, it will last for about 24 hours.

This time why not confiscate the bikes, then the stupid parents won't have a bike to give their 10 year olds the key to.

• Like 2

This would be a good law if it was enforced.

Unfortunately we all know the ability and desire of the BIB to do so.

But of the utmost importance is for the Government to offer alternative means [public transport]

for the community in the sticks to get from A to B.

When one reads that 80% of deaths on the roads is due to motorcycles, one cannot understand that

a lot of these could have been avoidable by strict enforcement of existing laws.

As others have said if they can do it in Vietnam, why can't they do it here?

I guess it all comes back to educating the populace on using common sense,

which seems to be lacking in a lot of Thais.

In my Mue Baan the kids of 7/8 years old drive a 125cc Honda to school if the feet touch the floor they can ride.

Police say nothing to them on the road underage (18yrs) no helmet no ins no tax .

If i was stopped on the road with no helmet i would be fined ,there are posters advertising KFC saying 100% helmet.

But kids can ride themselves and 3 others on the bike .

• Like 1

This is SE Asia. It is still developing, and many things are behind the West. This is not western Europe or the USA. But that does not give anybody on here the right to be rude, scornful and condescending regarding the local populace and their means of transport. It is what it is, accidents do happen, but if mum and dad and 3 kids need to get to the market, on their only transport, a 100cc motorbike, then that's the way they are going to travel. The small moped revolutionised transport and travel in Asia, 2 or 3 generations ago, and is still needed today. Pity we in the West don't open our eyes more often to stuff that is simpler, cheaper and easier.

And why do the 3 kids need to go to the market? Millions of people in this country do agree with you, and do exactly as they please with regards to safety, which is why Thailand is, has been, and will always be...............'developing'

The UK has roughly the same population as Thailand, but a road death toll of 1500 per year to Thailand's 26000,

It's a pity you are blinded by the 'it's their country' train of thought.

I see kids driving motorbikes all the time, against traffic or on the pavement where i'm walking.

I see loads of motorbikes on the backroads who even don't have any light nor a helmet.

Also i don't understand why motorbikes are not protected, give them a special lane on the highways where cars are not allowed to drive and many more people will start driving motorbike.

In Europe the police is very strict to children not wearing seatbelts while in the backseat of a car. In Thailand the kids drive on daddy's motorbike in the most dangerous citytraffic of the world.

My proposal is to phase in licensing and permitting on highways and streets ONLY MOTORBIKES WITH SIDECARS. The idea is to work to the point in a few years where a bike can not be licensed without a sidecar. Sidecars would force bikes to obey traffic rules more like cars and provide a better place for the cargo and multiple people that bikes often carry.thumbsup.gif

I can hear the foreigner pleasure bikers scream.bah.gif Maybe an "open road only" license could be used......... if you can find an open road.

• Like 1

I see school girls,3 to a bike...no helmets and under age for riding a bike. police at school gates just wave them on. I dread to think what would happen to me if involved in an accident with one of these kiddy transports.. GOT TO BE MY FAULT

Another idiotic proposal from Thai officials who as usual don't think anything through!

1. How ill they be able to tell whether the kids are under six

2. Why six and not 10,12,14

3. maybe they should try enforcing helmet laws as well ( something we all know will never happen and even if they bring the under six thing into operation it will never be enforced either)

I remember only last year that all buses and vans had now to have seat belts and passengers must wear them - blah blah blah

Last weekend I went up to Bangkok in a van that had no seat belts whatsoever and came back one one that did and I was the only one wearing one (not that I am such a obedient citizen but because I am absolutely terrified of the van drivers here - and I used to ride racing motor bikes with speeds well over 100 mph!!!!)

• Like 1

This is SE Asia. It is still developing, and many things are behind the West. This is not western Europe or the USA. But that does not give anybody on here the right to be rude, scornful and condescending regarding the local populace and their means of transport. It is what it is, accidents do happen, but if mum and dad and 3 kids need to get to the market, on their only transport, a 100cc motorbike, then that's the way they are going to travel. The small moped revolutionised transport and travel in Asia, 2 or 3 generations ago, and is still needed today. Pity we in the West don't open our eyes more often to stuff that is simpler, cheaper and easier.

And why do the 3 kids need to go to the market? Millions of people in this country do agree with you, and do exactly as they please with regards to safety, which is why Thailand is, has been, and will always be...............'developing'

The UK has roughly the same population as Thailand, but a road death toll of 1500 per year to Thailand's 26000,

It's a pity you are blinded by the 'it's their country' train of thought.

# Er, to buy and eat food, try some new clothes on, er, because they want to?

# Hey, i agree about enforcing a helmet law, i agree underage kids (say 14) should not be riding a moped by themselves, but i have no problem with a family of 5 (mom, pop, 3 kids) nipping down the shops or school on one moped.

# M/C accident statistics here; the vast majority are drink driving, no helmets, AND car/truck/bus OTHER vehicles taking out the M/C. Not a family of 5 nipping down to the school 3 clicks away.

• Like 2

It just shows how out of touch the current administration of the wealthy and privileged is with the everyday lives of the mass of Thai people. The country would come to a standstill if this ridiculous law were to be enacted. I recall a police chief saying as much years ago, but clearly none of the current ruling elite, who swan around in expensive, gas-gobbling grunt machines, would have even been listening.

• Like 2

This is good news, the Government is planning to buy car for everyone with child/children hahahahaha

equipped with air-bags, seat belts and children's car-seats for the smaller kids, (professionally fitted) and child restraints for the bigger kids - all usage policed and enforced in the same manner as crash helmets, stopping at stops signs, stopping at red lights, speeding, and riding on the correct side of the road.

Should cut the road toll to nearly zero.

Good luck with that! Around my neck of the woods half the scooters or small bikes don't have tail lights, many don't have mirrors. many have bald tyres, most people if not all people don't wear a helmet, many don't have licenses, kids as young as 7 ride and the police ignore all of it!

I don't care about motorbike riders not wearing helmets, they can only hurt themselves, but underage riders, they are more likely to cause accidents.

Motorbike riders of age, are bad enough, but children????

Or pay more fines to police....they should come up with a plan about how poor people get around first. They pile their kids on bikes as it's their only option

I agree although I do not think it is right but if that is the only form of transport they can afford it will be impossibel to enforce. What they could do however is get the under age kids who are riding bikes like idiots and confiscate their bikes and also the ones doing 70kph on public roads with no thought of the people they could harm or kill in the process. I often do 50-60kph going down Nernplabwan Road in Pattaya and get under age kids going so fast pass me I think I am going backwards, get the idiots first and worry about the rest further down the line

"To improve road safety officials are considering making it illegal for children under 6 to ride on a motorcycle."

in related news, Police are considering whether they can be bothered to enforce all the other road traffic laws that Thailand already has......

• Like 2

ignore it?

This is 100% correct. These are the kinds of laws you get when only rich people are in positions of authority in the government. They have a complete lack of empathy; they have zero inability to put themselves in the position of the poor people in their own country. While the government is trying to do the right thing, it is not something that is practical in a poor country such as Thailand where many people cannot afford to own a car and many others can barely afford a single old used motorbike.

I know a few old folk in the UK that cannot afford any ride cos of the legal stuff and cash.

Why should LOS be any different.?...........Not so long ago a buffalo was the transport here.

My neighbor has a fairly decent attachable child's chair for his bike, this may provide a compromised working option.

Child safety is a massive industry and even things like bicycle helmets for children have extortionate inflated prices taking advantage of the mantra it may sound extortionate but what price can you put on a child's life, of course they will grow out of that helmet in 12 months.

But let's say the government mass produced child seats and children's helmets and made these available to families, this might actually be a better solution with regards to the intent of making it safer.

Out of interest at those share a bicycle schemes across Bangkok, do they come with helmets?

Enforcing the traffic laws for motorcycles would probably have the biggest impact on road deaths. They are without doubt the largest section who blatantly ignore road laws and safety while causing accidents too.