Officials consider banning kids from motorbikes

Lite Beer

My proposal is to phase in licensing and permitting on highways and streets ONLY MOTORBIKES WITH SIDECARS. The idea is to work to the point in a few years where a bike can not be licensed without a sidecar. Sidecars would force bikes to obey traffic rules more like cars and provide a better place for the cargo and multiple people that bikes often carry.thumbsup.gif

I can hear the foreigner pleasure bikers scream.bah.gif Maybe an "open road only" license could be used......... if you can find an open road.

You are joking right? If not, I suggest you apply to one of the non-elected seats in the new Government. They need people like you!

How about banning kids from riding motorbikes? On samui there are hundreds of kids ranging from 9-15 years old riding motorbikes. Hundreds. Causing accidents and all kinds of mayhem. They know nothing about anything when it comes to bodily harm. They kill people with their lack of skills. Do the authorities do anything? No. Why not? Apathy. Indifference. Lack of cash to be earned?

• Like 1

Enforcing the traffic laws for motorcycles would probably have the biggest impact on road deaths. They are without doubt the largest section who blatantly ignore road laws and safety while causing accidents too.

Van drivers (and in BKK taxi drivers) take the absolute biscuit for reckless driving. Van drivers are the kings and drive like they don't fear death for themselves, their passengers or other road users. Motorcyclists are just more exposed is all.

• Like 1

and what will poor people do?

ignore it?

This is 100% correct. These are the kinds of laws you get when only rich people are in positions of authority in the government. They have a complete lack of empathy; they have zero inability to put themselves in the position of the poor people in their own country. While the government is trying to do the right thing, it is not something that is practical in a poor country such as Thailand where many people cannot afford to own a car and many others can barely afford a single old used motorbike.

I know a few old folk in the UK that cannot afford any ride cos of the legal stuff and cash.

Why should LOS be any different.?...........Not so long ago a buffalo was the transport here.

If you can't figure out the differences between a very poor country and a richer country then far be it for me to educate you. Here's a hint. Try living in the boonies in Issan and use your imagination. Tell me how you would solve all their transportation problems when this country does very little to really help it's people. Better yet, try living on 8000 baht a month in a country that does little for it's poor citizens.

This country needs to provide far more assistance to it's poorer citizens and then they can and should start making laws like this.

• Like 1

ignore it?

This is 100% correct. These are the kinds of laws you get when only rich people are in positions of authority in the government. They have a complete lack of empathy; they have zero inability to put themselves in the position of the poor people in their own country. While the government is trying to do the right thing, it is not something that is practical in a poor country such as Thailand where many people cannot afford to own a car and many others can barely afford a single old used motorbike.

I know a few old folk in the UK that cannot afford any ride cos of the legal stuff and cash.

Why should LOS be any different.?...........Not so long ago a buffalo was the transport here.

If you can't figure out the differences between a very poor country and a richer country then far be it for me to educate you. Here's a hint. Try living in the boonies in Issan and use your imagination. Tell me how you would solve all their transportation problems when this country does very little to really help it's people. Better yet, try living on 8000 baht a month in a country that does little for it's poor citizens.

This country needs to provide far more assistance to it's poorer citizens and then they can and should start making laws like this.

Not only Issan but ALL of rural Thailand, north,south, east and west.

ignore it?

Get a job? instead of riding around with kidsthumbsup.gif

Inane comment.

Have you considered how kids will get to school in the poorer parts of the country if they can't ride pillion?

Many villages are located up to around 5km from the school the kids go to. What would you have them do? Walk all the way?

• Like 2