Airport Departure Tax To Be Increased To 700 Baht

george

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm interesting, is there an air quango in Thailand? And are any regulatory departments working in a transparent manner, they certainly arn't for the telecomunications sector.

Dunno what a qango is. Sounds like a fruit drink.

There are no regulatory departments as such, due to a combination of many things, including lack of regulatory capacity, funding and in some cases, political will. However, cabinet has formally approved the CPI-X price capping methodology. Clear and transparent it will never be, as the minister will ultimately have the sign off. As far as PSC goes, as I have said that it is actually under priced. For other airport pricing, the main concern is to stay competitive with Singapore.

I must add on this last point that rates of return on Singaporean infrastructure (ports and airports) tend to be quite low. Why? It is owned by Tamesk, so it is deliberate government policy not to have a realistic rate of return of its strategic assets, so that other sectors of the economy can flourish. There is a reason it is called Singapore Inc. Cause that is what it is!

Actually Samran I find this really interesting and I can see you are obviously in the know, could you tell us more of wht you know about the airport, maybe you have some stuff that will change the opinion of many towards the new airport. In your eyes will it be a force to be reckoned with compared to it's rivals in the region?

Dunno if I'll ever change your mind….

I must re-stress what I said in my first reply on this topic….all this info is from a previous life.

Will BKK be competitive? Probably. BKK can compete with Singapore (its main competitor) because it has (as I recall) a slight geographical advantage for flights between Europe and Australia. Fuel to weight ratio's of the jumbo's and all that. Plus the prevailing winds apparently.

In terms of a shiny new spanking airport. I guess so. Thai's are good at surface looks. So yeah, probably.

I for one am not impressed at all with various aspects, but i'm hoping there will be good shopping and other facilities that will make it an improvement on the current airport. Also speedy electric walkways as walking so far in the airport now is a pain.

I'm guessing so. The old airport was not designed with shopping in mind. You can be sure that the new one will.

If I have to pay more to use it with greater inconvenience i'm not happy, but if they are giving other services maybe it wont be too bad. My biggest gripe is getting the bus to get a taxi, I won't put up for a taxi scam, maybe get a taxi from departures, but I did read somewhere that they were going to stop meter taxi's picking up customers.

Do you know who has the concession for taxi's within the main terminal?

Odds are it will be the same mob(s) that are at Don Muang now. As for meter taxi's. I think it is starting to filter out that they will be available from the arrivals hall via radio dispatch, with the option for people to catch the bus.

If not, I'd like to think you will give Thai's some credit for rectifying the situation quickly. There is no way that the existing limo fleet will be able to handle masses of passengers arriving by the hour.

To be frank, by greatest concern is the enforcement of the no-parking rule in front of the terminal. I'm a bit worried to many hi-so Mercedes and BMW drivers will find all that too hard to bear.

My 2 cents worth.

Any time anyone says anything negative about Thailand, someone always posts a "If you don't like it..P*ss Off" kind of message.

In all reality, people just want to vent their anger and get some kind of feed back rather than some petty retort that just equates to "I'm alright Jack..sorry you are not...now...P*ss off".

A chat forum is for chat, discussions and somewhere to let off steam, but there are quite a few here that just belittle anyone who has a negative comment about Thailand…maybe they are on Taksin’s books too.

I’m sure these people find no issue with paying to enter The Grand Palace when Thais go for free. I’m sure they are happy to pay all fees applicable to farang only.

These people must enjoy reading ( if they can ) the signs in Thai that say “we respect Thai people”.

These same people will love the fact that only limousine services run directly from the new airport and that anyone wishing to get a taxi needs to lug their bags onto a bus and travel to the taxi stop.

These people will rejoice at the new drinking laws.

These people must clap and applaud the judges who make a farang pay for an accident irrelevant of who caused it.

I could go on, but we get the picture, so if anyone posts a comment asking if anyone else feels the same, the replies should generally come back from those who do. Anyone else can ignore them because the question isn’t asking if there is anyone out there who feels like posting sarcastic comments. Nor does it ask if anyone knows what that person can do if they don’t like it.

Read the question carefully..think about whether your comment is constructive or not and if not, just don’t post.

Now, in reply to the person asking whether anyone else feels the same, my answer is “yes”. The whole deal P****es me off, but….I’m sticking around.

Tango .... 700 baht ..... topic ...... :o

But since that has been put off.

If I get in an accident ... the insurance company comes and deals with it. I have NEVER heard of a case that went to court that a Judge said "the white guy pays".

The Grand Palace? No problem. It's a museum and temple that belongs to the Thai People/monarchy! <National Parks? I pay what the Thai folks pay>

Drinking/alcohol laws? I drink when and with the Thai folks too ... plus you will find some places ignore the laws in favor of the tourist, even on high holy days!

So ....... if this crap bothers you enough to make a statement in a forum .... "I am thinking of leaving!" Then by all means GO!

Now ...... back to the topic! All the drama about the 700 baht PSC seems to be overblown, The date when/if this increase comes into effect has been delayed/postponed :D <Same with Taxis being an issue since apparently they won't be able to have a huge queue of taxis but they will pick up AT ARRIVALS. But please feel free to get really upset about things that haven't happened yet!

The new airport? Keep reading about the taxis/limos!

Edited by jdinasia

My 2 cents worth.

Any time anyone says anything negative about Thailand, someone always posts a "If you don't like it..P*ss Off" kind of message.

In all reality, people just want to vent their anger and get some kind of feed back rather than some petty retort that just equates to "I'm alright Jack..sorry you are not...now...P*ss off".

A chat forum is for chat, discussions and somewhere to let off steam, but there are quite a few here that just belittle anyone who has a negative comment about Thailand…maybe they are on Taksin’s books too.

I’m sure these people find no issue with paying to enter The Grand Palace when Thais go for free. I’m sure they are happy to pay all fees applicable to farang only.

These people must enjoy reading ( if they can ) the signs in Thai that say “we respect Thai people”.

These same people will love the fact that only limousine services run directly from the new airport and that anyone wishing to get a taxi needs to lug their bags onto a bus and travel to the taxi stop.

These people must clap and applaud the judges who make a farang pay for an accident irrelevant of who caused it.

I could go on, but we get the picture, so if anyone posts a comment asking if anyone else feels the same, the replies should generally come back from those who do. Anyone else can ignore them because the question isn’t asking if there is anyone out there who feels like posting sarcastic comments. Nor does it ask if anyone knows what that person can do if they don’t like it.

Read the question carefully..think about whether your comment is constructive or not and if not, just don’t post.

Now, in reply to the person asking whether anyone else feels the same, my answer is “yes”. The whole deal P****es me off, but….I’m sticking around.

Great post, mate! I agree with you 100%.

Quando podeces te regi eorum fecerunt?
Noli nothis permittere te terere :o
13) English language is the only acceptable language on thaivisa.com, except of course in the Thai Language Forum where Thai is encouraged.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules

Would you 2 care to stick with the Forum rules re: language? or just translate?

Edited by jdinasia

Quando podeces te regi eorum fecerunt?

Noli nothis permittere te terere :D
13) English language is the only acceptable language on thaivisa.com, except of course in the Thai Language Forum where Thai is encouraged.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules

Would you 2 care to stick with the Forum rules re: language? or just translate?

Sorry...will stick to English..but will that require my saying things like napkin instead serviette ? :o

Edited by Tango7

I am curious about the post that said a Thai had to pay 2,000 baht departure tax. My wife and I have been flying in and out of BKK since 1999 and I don't recall her ever having to pay anything other then the 500 baht.

TH

Not true, I have traveled with Thais many times and they always pay the same, 500bt.

Maybe it was the case in the past I don't know, but certainly not now or for the last few years.

I'm not sure about the dates that sbk mentioned (2001), but I do recall that earlier than this in 1997 during the height of the Asian crisis the Government did increase the departure tax to B2000, but it was rescinded a few months later once Thailand had secured a loan from the IMF. I never actually left Thailand during this period, so it never effected me :o

My 2 cents worth.

"If you don't like it..P*ss Off"

• 3 weeks later...

The reputable ovenman reporting on the scene just now as he's departing from the new airport that they collected

NO DEPARTURE FEE at all, not 700, not 500... not one red satang....

Apparently in all the disarray there, they've neglected to set up the necessary equipment and personnel to collect it.... so for now... it's FREEEEEEEEEE!!!

Also, he reported the overall state of the airport as:

"It'll be a really nice airport.....................................someday."

Perhaps by December when construction is probably finished.

Edited by sriracha john

...and to follow-up on the above report, nobody hit me up onboard my AirAsia flight to Penang for departure tax, so this appears to be a neat little hole in the system for now. Wonder whether the powers-that-be will get the ticket machines and booths in place for the official opening later this week?

For what it's worth - my guess is that they need to move the old departure tax ticket vending machines from Don Muang. No sense buying all new machines when there's nothing wrong with the old ones. I suppose that still doesn't explain why they weren't selling tickets by hand, but hey, I'll take whatever I can get for free! :o

Well its 25 nzd to leave nz!

bout the same

And you pay 240 baht for a heine there

And you would be extremely lucky to have a sexy on your knee your whole visit.

Lets face it People whine about thailand being third world but dont want to pay for the upgrades.

Again .... Thais pay the same departure tax that we do ....

The service seems to have great potential at the new airport to be a VAST improvemnt over Don Muang

There IS PUBLIC transportation available from the terminals. That service is called a FREE SHUTTLE

This WILL reduce the overwhelming fumes present at Don Muang.

The increase of the fees will be for ALL departures via plane internationally throughout the Kingdom and not just a user fee at the new airport.!

I am NOT sure about your assumption that MOST users of the airport will be tourists <in Thailand at least> You certainly cannot count yourself as a tourist as you did in your first rant ... and you can't count me as one ....

I am looking forward to the new airport and all the ADDITIONAL choices it will have for Public Transportation options when compared to Don Muang!

There's a difference between paying for an upgrade and paying the highest departure tax in the region when Thailand actually has far lower running costs than any of the other major airports in the region.

The costs to use the new airport to both the airlines and to tourists will be the highest in the region, this is in a country that is cheaper than Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong and Japan.

I find it hard to believe this airport will become a hub with such high fees.

It may help to establish Thailand as the leading maintainence destination due to the low costs for labour, why can't they provide the airport at more competitive rates, surely it will achieve a larger profit in the long run if it can lure airlines away from other airports.

surely they should be looking at special reduced rates at first instead of huge increases?

does that not make sense?

Why one earth can't they have the airlines collect the tax as part of the ticket, like any other civilised airport?? :o

My understanding has always been that somebody connected runs the company that collects the departure taxes, so that's why the current system remains in place.

There's a difference between paying for an upgrade and paying the highest departure tax in the region when Thailand actually has far lower running costs than any of the other major airports in the region.

Phnom Penh is far higher. They charge 25 USD (approx 950 baht) departure tax. And on arrival, there is no free VOA, just a hand written Tourist visa for 20 USD or Business for 25 USD, :o:D but that is proper to a new VISAs thread.

...and to follow-up on the above report, nobody hit me up onboard my AirAsia flight to Penang for departure tax, so this appears to be a neat little hole in the system for now. Wonder whether the powers-that-be will get the ticket machines and booths in place for the official opening later this week?

For what it's worth - my guess is that they need to move the old departure tax ticket vending machines from Don Muang. No sense buying all new machines when there's nothing wrong with the old ones. I suppose that still doesn't explain why they weren't selling tickets by hand, but hey, I'll take whatever I can get for free! :o

There were lots of booths set up and manned this morning for collecting the tax, but still no machines. I'd bet the machines are way down on the priority list of things to move and setup at the new airport.