Airport Departure Tax To Be Increased To 700 Baht

george

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it will discourage a few more people from leaving when the visa has run out. It will certainly make the newly found fiancé think about funding his departure when the money has run out.

Well if you are a tourist and you dont have enough money for the return trip of 700 Baht even if it went up to 1000 Baht you should have thought about that at your last barvisit. Do anyone in this forum travel that way at all, no matter destination?

We are talking about an increase of 200 Baht for crying out loud. A little bit over a drink at the bar.

If you are travelling in duty, save the reciept and leave upon return to the finance dept.

Don't get me started on construction, the general quality or lack of is a downright disgrace. Most of the builders here don't even vibrate their concrete.

They're probably using the latest high-tech concrete with delayed vibration composites added in the mix. It sets evenly and has the advantage that normal day to day traffic passing through the neighbourhood, together with back ground noise causes a resonation activating a chemical reaction in the concrete composites that over time results in a crack and bubble free structure.

i'm not a tourist, but I was once. Most people leaving the airport are tourists. I've been living here 7 years, came here as a tourist before that. In the time I have been here I have seen attitudes to foriegners worsen, that is something I do not like. Maybe it's because I now speak the language and understand the culture better than before that I notice it more, but i'm pretty sure things are getting worse.

My problem isn't actually so much with the 200 baht raise, but more with the fact that we (those using the airport), are expected to pay more than before when the deal we are getting is worse. So what if the airport is shiny and new, there is no public transport and no taxis from the main terminal. We are being expected to pay more whilst they think they can give us less in return, not a good deal in my opinion.

So my first answer relates to the title because I am fed up with prices rising in so many places in Thailand when standards and services are actually falling.

Yes i'm whinging, but I thought forums were a place where we can air our views?

Yes I did bring up the fact I may well leave, i'm just pretty fed up that no one can come back with something better than "you know where the door is".

I asked a sensible question, "is anyone else feeling the same?"

If not maybe tell us why I am wrong and why the 200 raise is justified, also maybe some examples of where prices are being raised, but services and standards are getting better as a result.

That would be a little more constuctive than "you know where the door is", which i've seen said by people a 1000 times on here and it's much easier to say than actually post a reply with data and stats to proove a person wrong in their assumption.

The thread is related to tourism as it involves the airport, and I think there's nothing wrong with taking someone to task when they state tourists are ######ing up the country, when in all likelyhood they first came here as a tourist. Also stating problems with the tourist and housing industry when that person themselves is an owner and therefore directly a part of that problem is a bit hipicritica don't you think?

I am still a tourist and I have found the attitude in Thailand quite pleasant. Having landed in BKK 4 or 5 times in the last year there was always someone willing to offer assistance, give directions and I am not sure where you are looking for taxis (or not looking) as there are taxis everywhere at the airport. Compared to other airports in the world I would say that I am usually on my way quicker into the city than elsewhere with the exception of JFK. I am sure glad that there are no other issues of consequence in Thailand right now to worry about if this is the hot topic of conversation :o

Mike

Is the AOT a publicly traded company?

refer to per Post#5 of this lenghty thread.

it's a highly lucrative company for those in the right places that have 30% of the ownership of the company in the form of public stock (70% government ownership).

Your payment, and everyone else's too, boosted those profits to 171% last quarter alone. :o

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060816/3/2ojuv.html

Edited by sriracha john

ho hum. Big surprise, prices gone up.

It's been five hundred for the last six years (as long as I've been here) so I guess one could have been expecting it. A 40% jump is quite a lot, they're just gearing up for the extra money finding your luggage in the new airport..

Yes Womble, I know how you feel. I was getting jack of legislation that enables farang to be charged 10x the local price for a border permit into Cambodia. That was, until I realised that you've just got to play the game. I spend a 10th on the Thai relo's to what I spend back home. A night out for them is a bbq restaurant and hot milk ... total price: 400bt for the night. But my Thai wife and I happily spend $100 for dinner for two back home. When we come to Thailand our second hand clothes are washed, pressed and handed out to the relo's like Christmas presents. While the Thai maintain the discriminatory legislation and attitude we are going to be "kin-yow" - with a smile.

Virg'

I for one am gettiing extremely fed up with the way tourists are being treated here. So much so that i'm considering leaving this country. We are treated as if we are fools and all they want is to take our money with no upgrades in service or thoughts for our welfare.

the taxi situation and lack of public transport at the airport is a prime example. Also the national park fee increase when they provide us with nothing, not even signs in English.

Is anyone else getting fed up with the way we are continually being taxed without being given anything back.

I really feel strongly about this as I think it shows a complete lack of respect and also it shows that they must think we lack intelligence.

I'm pretty close to taking my money elsewhere where it is appreciated and I will at least have some rights and be treated fairly.

Anyone else feeling the same?

I also feel that from an investment point of view Thailand has had it's day, there are now better places to conduct business where rules protect us and returns are better. There are many places now looking more attractive than Thailand IMHO.

I for one am gettiing extremely fed up with the way tourists are being treated here. So much so that i'm considering leaving this country. We are treated as if we are fools and all they want is to take our money with no upgrades in service or thoughts for our welfare.

the taxi situation and lack of public transport at the airport is a prime example. Also the national park fee increase when they provide us with nothing, not even signs in English.

Is anyone else getting fed up with the way we are continually being taxed without being given anything back.

I really feel strongly about this as I think it shows a complete lack of respect and also it shows that they must think we lack intelligence.

I'm pretty close to taking my money elsewhere where it is appreciated and I will at least have some rights and be treated fairly.

I also feel that from an investment point of view Thailand has had it's day, there are now better places to conduct business where rules protect us and returns are better. There are many places now looking more attractive than Thailand IMHO.

WOW!!! you must be a real tight-a ss Womble!!

700 bht is hardly much at all (AUD $25 to be exact!).. you probably earn twice that amount in 1 hour!!!

Everything is cheap as chips in thailand, so i really dont understand what you are complaining about!!

And regards to not "even being provided with English signs", then why dont you go to a country is English speaking then??

There would be not fun in being a tourist if everything was posted in English!! Gee, next you'll be complaining that thai's dont speak english!!

That a chill pill and enjoy being in a foreign country with thier own rules.. their own taxes and thier own signs!

Concerning the departure tax, you can thank the lunatics who wish to become martyrs for that. They wish to kill infidels so they can rejoice in paradise with their virgins. :D

As far as airport services, has anyone actually experienced the transportation problems? Of course not! :o How can you bitch about something that has not and may not be a problem?

:D:D:D

well folks don't forget last to leave, TURN OUT THE LIGHT :o:D:D:D:D

No! Don't! The buttons are not up to standard so are dangerous! I will do that for you!

nice eh.. i must be the only one who voted with my feet,back here after almost 10 yrs love hate relationships with this country.. this ain't land of honest smiles, but when u learn whys & hows , u may actually start appreciating the place. Yes some racism IS HerE , comparing to more "civilized" countries, but what's the point, if here everyone is treated nicer than in most other equial opportunity places, where everyone is treated equially lousy...ah yeah , brit .. they should go for 40 quid,, like nice 1,500 baht we all "happily" pay in UK.. & keep it rising, like every second year :D

I always found that if you treat people with respect you generally get it back. Especially in Thailand. I have some very nice Thai friends here, and none of them sponge off of me.

Well, we shall wait for the opening of the new airport.

See how it goes with the new transport system and as for the increase in price, if the govenrment has made the decision to do so, can the foreigners go on a strike? Guess Thais wouldn't say no too.

Anyway, most of the Thais who can afford to take a plane can afford to pay the taxes. And as for us, the non-Thais, we'll still pay at the end of the day if we want to stay.

Tourism will not decrease because of that because they jolly well know that they won't come here like 5 times a year. And shopping here is still cheaper than their own countries for the moment.

My sis who is an avid shopper tried changing lieu and visited Vietnam instead. She screamed at the price of the clothes, the lousy quality, and the limited designs.

The fact is that Thais are really good in imitating. Just as good as the Filipinos learning music. So designs of the products, they copy. Materials, they produce. Quality may not be as good but seeing how similar they are to the real stuff or how nice the products look, tourists buy them.

Verdict? nothing much will change.

Airport fees to go up

The international departure tax would be increased by Bt200 to Bt700 and domestic passengers would incur a Bt100 fee, up from a current Bt50. The increase would be effective from February 1 .

After 40 years in the making Suvarnabhumi has cost Bt150 billion.

Hey, "somebody" has to pay for all those billions of baht spent on corruption and that "somebody" is:

YOU!

{a generic term used for all passengers}

=================================================================

John, I totally agree, but you fotgot to mention:

NEW MEASURES ARE A GREAT WAY TO PROMOTE TOURISM ! ! ! ! :D

DUUUUUUH !

:o

Tired of Thailand (sometimes!)

Airport fees to go up

The international departure tax would be increased by Bt200 to Bt700 and domestic passengers would incur a Bt100 fee, up from a current Bt50. The increase would be effective from February 1 .

After 40 years in the making Suvarnabhumi has cost Bt150 billion.

Hey, "somebody" has to pay for all those billions of baht spent on corruption and that "somebody" is:

YOU!

{a generic term used for all passengers}

=================================================================

John, I totally agree, but you fotgot to mention:

NEW MEASURES ARE A GREAT WAY TO PROMOTE TOURISM ! ! ! ! :D

DUUUUUUH !

:D

Tired of Thailand (sometimes!)

I often wondered what the telephone company’s acronym, TOT, stood for…

Thanks for that information.

What is predictable is the constant stream of complaining and comments about corruption and it's so horrible here and Thais don't love us or respect us...

You want equality with Thais when being a farang means paying a few baht more for something than they do, but you want to be treated like you were little farang kings & queens when it comes to service. You want to be loved and respected, but all you do is spew hate and condescension.

Most of you were probably at the bottom of the food chain back in your home country and figured you'd come out to the third world and be big stuff, wowing "the natives" with your amazing intellect and innate superiority.

Get over it. If you think you'll find a better deal elsewhere, then be happy for the good times you had in Thailand and move on. Every place has it's pluses and minuses, but if you're being consumed with constant anger about everything, the problem is you. Thailand isn't going to change to suit you (and many of us like it as it is, warts and all), so find a place where you will be happy.

Corruption, useless politicians, bent cops, mediocre government services, rising costs...these things are everywhere. If you know of some place where everything works just as you want it, bon voyage, but I bet in a couple of years you'll be bitching about everything there too...the problem is you, your frustrations and self-esteem issues and those will follow you where ever you go.

Well said! I totally agree with you!

I do want to be treated as a Thai since i am not a tourist. I also pays taxes the same way as any other Thai do.

But there is a big difference in be treated as a Thai and be treated as a King. Most expats think they should be treated as Kings when they go to the third-world countries!

One short advice: Treat people well and you will probably get the same in return!

Your right - I'm fed up with this place too - I'm off to Malaysia - they are making it so easy for me to stay there and the roof over my head is 100% mine and nobody can take it away from me!

Hey, just one advice about Malaysia: Be sure you don't bother yourself with bad smelling people! :D

And if you want to go to the movie, be sure you buy all the surrounding seats... Just in case... :o

So how does this new airport affect me? Let's see..

An extra 200 baht in departure tax + an extra 200 baht in extra taxi fare to get there (further away for me) = 400 baht.

Okay, I can live with that I guess.

But - oh yes, don't forget the inconvenience factor...no taxis to pick up at the airport - they are banned - did you know that ? Only allowed to drop off. Taxi rank now off-site.

So unless I am going to queue for a shuttle bus that drives me 6 km to the taxi ranks, then I'll have to pay for one of the in-house airport cars at the new terminal. I see Thai Airways cars just went up to 1,500 Baht -compared to the 250 baht I used to pay to get home from Don Muang in a meter taxi, that makes the extra costs to get home another 1,250 Baht.

So the grand total of new, additional and annoying costs to get in and out of the new airport for me is: B 1,650.

Don't even think about getting me started regarding King Power!!

Oh, it's just a pain trying to find the 500baht change sometimes or the 550pesos in Manila airport, and it would be good if it were included in the ticket price, but really most of us are unaware how much departure tax we really pay in other countries as it's buried in the total ticket price.

700baht is still ok for a foreigner earning an average salary, but a lot of money for departing average Thais!

I'll be content to pay the additional if the new airport lives up to it's expectations.

WOW!!! you must be a real tight-a ss Womble!!

700 bht is hardly much at all (AUD $25 to be exact!).. you probably earn twice that amount in 1 hour!!!

Everything is cheap as chips in thailand, so i really dont understand what you are complaining about!!

And regards to not "even being provided with English signs", then why dont you go to a country is English speaking then??

There would be not fun in being a tourist if everything was posted in English!! Gee, next you'll be complaining that thai's dont speak english!!

That a chill pill and enjoy being in a foreign country with thier own rules.. their own taxes and thier own signs!

It's not the amount, it's the principle. At what level does a raise become unacceptable, we have to draw limits somewhere. For me it's more about the attitude that so often here prices are raised often significantly (although in this case admittedly it's not that high) where at the same time we are getting nothing extra for the increase payments, actually often standards seem to go south.

Just because we are in a foriegn country it does not mean certain signs cannot be in english, thats a ridicualous attitude to take with a country expecting 15m visitors next year. An example I would like to make is the national park increase (still coming although delayed), this is a raise of several 100%. All this does is give you entrance, no english speaking guide on hand, signs not in english even when tourists are expected to pay significantly more than locals, with no facilities for them. Most don't even have western toilets and they expect thousands of westerners to go!

Theres a great example that shows this attitude so many Thai business and organisations seem to take. It relates to landing fees and to overtime pay for immigration officers. Can you believe they expect the airlines to pay for the overtime!!!

A cost comparison report marked ''Confidential'' and obtained by this writer clearly shows Bangkok is more expensive for an airline to operate a flight, than through arch rival airports in Southeast Asia. Contrary to Thai transport authorities' claims, the report revealed that the overall charges incurred to a flight at Bangkok were higher than the normal rates applied at Singapore's Changi Airport and Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA). The gap was even wider when the discounts currently rendered by the latter two competing airports are taken into account. It showed that the so-called airport turnaround costs, including landing/parking, navigation, immigration and custom overtime, baggage and security charges, at Bangkok International Airport and soon Suvarnabhumi Airport, are 57,315 baht for a A300-600 jet.

That compares with 57,130 baht at Changi before a 15% discount (applicable to 2008) which brings down the cost to 51,532 baht. The costs are marked lower at KLIA, at 23,904 baht for normal rates and 14,549 baht during the current ''promotion'' period.

For a B747-400 jumbo jet, Bangkok's rate is 105,867 baht, slightly over 105,768 baht, the discounted rate at Changi. KLIA is much cheaper at 54,643 baht for the same type of aircraft and as little as 24,627 baht in the promotional period.

The overall cost at Bangkok will inflate to 61,075 baht for A300-600 and 113,892 baht for B747-400 in April next year, when the 15% rise in landing and parking fee, which was delayed by six months, comes into effect. The charge comparison underlines the fact that Bangkok may be losing its edge against Changi and KLIA in terms of costs to attract airlines, which are trying to cut costs in every possible way to stay aloft.

While fuel accounts for roughly one-third of total airline operating costs, the airport turnaround cost constitutes as much as 10% of the total.

An airline will operate at an airport only if it is commercially viable and this will be determined partly by the cost effectiveness of such an airport. A competitive airport charge structure is crucial to maintaining Bangkok as a major air hub in Southeast Asia.

The importance of competitive charges will also determine the success of Suvarnabhumi, due to open on Sept 28, and its ability to meet financial commitments incurred from the 125-billion-baht development costs.

Thailand should not rest on its laurels as a major tourism destination in this region by making its gateway more expensive for carriers to fly in tourists. Airlines play a key role in promoting in-bound tourism and many other countries are prepared to go to any lengths to encourage carriers to make their countries a port of call by reducing or even waiving airport charges as part of the tourism promotion strategy.

With the expected arrival of 13.8 million foreign visitors this year, in-bound tourism should contribute 547.5 billion baht to the Thai economy.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) hopes to increase foreign arrivals to 15 million next year, generating revenues of 547.5 billion baht for the country.

Part of the problem with Thailand's high overall airport costs is that certain charges, such as overtime payment for immigration officials at the airport, are collected from airlines, a practice not seen anywhere else in the world. Aviation experts say that immigration, like security, is a state responsibility and such costs should be borne by the government.

In particular, all the government agencies, including Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) and TAT, should put their heads together to work out a transparent and competitive structure, rather than just minding their separate interests. Perhaps Thai authorities should study Changi or KLIA, whose airport authorities have control over all airport charges.

Meanwhile, AoT should also look more keenly at ways to improve productivity, to lower operating costs; for instance, by boosting revenue through commercial sources, such as airport shops. Some of the successful airports in this region earn as much as 60% of their revenue from commercial sources.

Finally, it is advisable that AoT undertake meaningful and effective consultations with airlines to work out a long-term charges structure that will make Bangkok cost efficient, and provide financial certainty for both airlines and the airport.

Boonsong Kositchotethana is Deputy Assignment Editor (Business), Bangkok Post.

A bit of perspective is in order here; but i have to say that I agree with the principles of what Womble is saying. Too many Thais have this false sense of entitlement to other people's money; without doing sod-all to earn or justify it. And no-one is accountable for anything, seemingly. Typical Third World hand-out-for-alms attitude. :o

Attitudes towards foreigners havn't got worse over the years though, Womble. You just know what they're talking about you now! :D I sometimes feel like leaving here for good myself. Then I take a break out of the country for a couple of weeks and find myself missing it like hel_l. Warts and all.

jdinasia - I might have this wrong but a previous post of yours seems to imply that you might still be doing visa runs to Laos/Cambodia.

If that IS the case the you ARE still a tourist - however long you live here, you would still be classed as a tourist wouldnt you?

If not - then I grovel, unreservedly :o

You do have it wrong :D

I think it will discourage a few more people from leaving when the visa has run out. It will certainly make the newly found fiancé think about funding his departure when the money has run out.

Well if you are a tourist and you dont have enough money for the return trip of 700 Baht even if it went up to 1000 Baht you should have thought about that at your last barvisit. Do anyone in this forum travel that way at all, no matter destination?

We are talking about an increase of 200 Baht for crying out loud. A little bit over a drink at the bar.

If you are travelling in duty, save the reciept and leave upon return to the finance dept.

Careful now ..... you are deliberatly bringing this thread back to being On Topic!

It's not the amount, it's the principle. At what level does a raise become unacceptable, we have to draw limits somewhere.

And the principal is user pays. The 700baht you pay (as I already have mentioned) doesn't even cover the costs of the services that are ultimately provided to an average passenger.

At what point does the raise become unacceptable? When in the case of a monopoly asset such as an airport, that point is reached when the PSC is simply a form of price gouging. We are far from that point.

As I have said before, the PSC is being held artifically low, effectively subsidised by the Thai taxpayer (ie people who will never fly, can probably least afford to pay it).

There is a robust and transparent pricing model out there. But to apply it would have raised even louder howls of 'Thailand is ripping us off' from certain members of this board.

It's not the amount, it's the principle. At what level does a raise become unacceptable, we have to draw limits somewhere.

And the principal is user pays. The 700baht you pay (as I already have mentioned) doesn't even cover the costs of the services that are ultimately provided to an average passenger.

At what point does the raise become unacceptable? When in the case of a monopoly asset such as an airport, that point is reached when the PSC is simply a form of price gouging. We are far from that point.

As I have said before, the PSC is being held artifically low, effectively subsidised by the Thai taxpayer (ie people who will never fly, can probably least afford to pay it).

There is a robust and transparent pricing model out there. But to apply it would have raised even louder howls of 'Thailand is ripping us off' from certain members of this board.

This post will be duly ignored by the whingers.

This thread was hi-jacked long ago by the "it aint fair" crowd

erm.........

Do you have any stats to back up your argument?

If it doesn't cover the costs, how much are tax payers paying?

If tax payers are paying for this, why are they not paying the overtime for immigration officers?

Yes an airport is a monopoly asset, but it's demand is not inelastic, when prices become overal too high, people will go elsewhere. This airport is in huge danger of loosing out to HK, KL and Singapore. I'm not just talking about the 700 baht here, i'm talking about costs for everything from landing fees to higher taxi fares and inconvenience from lousey transport options.

Show us you pricing model then, hot air is of no interest to me or others on this forum that prefer arguments backed up by sources and statistics.