Info About Thoeng, Please....

robenroute

Hi there,

We (missus & I) are currently looking into moving to Thoeng (about 60 kms east of Chiang Rai). We would appreciate any info on the place:

- Mathayom schools (names please)

- population (size & other interesting things)

- housing/accommodation facilities

- (daily) shopping situation (Tesco's or anything alike?)

Thanks a bunch for any info.

Guy

from http://intranet.m-culture.go.th/chiangrai/amphur-thoeng.htm

(thai language)

- area 810 Km^2

- population 78,636 people

- Mathayom school

โรงเรียนเทิงวิทยาคม (Thoeng witthayacom ) Tel.0-5379-5474-5

โรงเรียนปล้องวิทยาคม (Plong Witthayacom) Tel. 0-5395-4170

attraction - Amphoe Thoeng

Doi Pha Mon Agricultural Center

Doi Pha Mon is located at Amphoe Thoeng. During the winter months visitors are treated to splendid flower bed s of tulips, lilies, red salvia, poinsettias, etc. To get to Doi Pha Mon from the city, go along Highway No. 1020, then take Highway No. 1155. The journey takes approximately 2.5 hours.

Phu Chi Fa

Phu Chi Fa is approximately 25 kilometers to the south of Doi Pha Tang in Thoeng District. The cool climate produces colorful flowering shrubs and the large meadow on the top provides breathtaking views of Laos. In addition, spectacular scenery can be seen from the sheer cliff of Phu Chi Fa, especially the sea of mist at sunrise. Visitors can stay overnight at Ban Rom Fa Thong and Ban Rom Fa Thai.

Doi Pha Mon is located at Amphoe Thoeng. During the winter months visitors are treated to splendid flower bed s of tulips, lilies, red salvia, poinsettias, etc. To get to Doi Pha Mon from the city, go along Highway No. 1020, then take Highway No. 1155. The journey takes approximately 2.5 hours.

Many thanks Bambina! :o

My lady has been talking long time that she wants to see tulips. It is a dream for her.

Now I can save a very expensive trip to Holland and go to Thoeng instead!

Thanks again! :D:D:D

from http://intranet.m-culture.go.th/chiangrai/amphur-thoeng.htm

(thai language)

- area 810 Km^2

- population 78,636 people

- Mathayom school

โรงเรียนเทิงวิทยาคม (Thoeng witthayacom ) Tel.0-5379-5474-5

โรงเรียนปล้องวิทยาคม (Plong Witthayacom) Tel. 0-5395-4170

attraction - Amphoe Thoeng

Phu Chi Fa

Phu Chi Fa is approximately 25 kilometers to the south of Doi Pha Tang in Thoeng District. The cool climate produces colorful flowering shrubs and the large meadow on the top provides breathtaking views of Laos. In addition, spectacular scenery can be seen from the sheer cliff of Phu Chi Fa, especially the sea of mist at sunrise. Visitors can stay overnight at Ban Rom Fa Thong and Ban Rom Fa Thai.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. :o:D:D

Hello,

I know a little of Toeng as that's where I hang when the wife and I are in Thailand. It is the wife's home town. We actually have two houses there. One we live in and one is either rented out or vacant.

It is a fairly good sized town but the population figure of 78,000 seems a little (maybe it's for the whole amphur) high. It must be good sized cause it actually has a street light! It's in kind of a valley with mountains surrounding it in the distance. The Nom Mae Ing river runs through town. I don't know anything about the school system even though my wife has had many relatives go to school there. I would say for the Thais it is a nice town with almost everthing they need.

However, there are not many amenties for farangs. There are no western stores but some small grocery stores carry a few western items. You would have to go to Chiang Rai for a lot of your shopping. No western restaurants or nightlife (bars etc.) but a number of Thai restaurants and some pretty good street food when the sun goes down. There are a few Thai "nightclubs". These are the roadside joints with food and drink and entertainment in which you are expected to buy garlands for the singing lasses(and occasional lass).

I think there is one small hotel above a shop house but don't know anything about it. You can get the Bangkok Post and Nation (which i do everyday and spend half the day reading) and they have a few internet shops. I don't know how you would go about the housing situation. I guess buy or rent but I never see any signs so I don't know how you would find out what is available. I think my wife is ready to sell our second house let me know if you are interested. But there a no new housing developments.

Hope it helps a little and let me know if there is any other info you could use.

Sabaiguy

• 4 months later...

Try the fresh water prawn farm about 3 kms from Thoeng proper. Several shops can cook you prawn dishes. They scoop live prawns out of holding pens in the ponds, and thrown them directly over a pot of blazing charcoal.

Some shops have huts where you can take a nap after you pig out on the prawns. Best to go there during the cool dry season. Bring a sweater as there might be a breeze.

Another place to go which is not far from Thoeng is Pusang water falls. It is said to be the only hot (thermal) waterfall in the country.

Hi there,

We (missus & I) are currently looking into moving to Thoeng (about 60 kms east of Chiang Rai). We would appreciate any info on the place:

Guy

Try the fresh water prawn farm about 3 kms from Thoeng proper. Several shops can cook you prawn dishes. They scoop live prawns out of holding pens in the ponds, and thrown them directly over a pot of blazing charcoal.

Some shops have huts where you can take a nap after you pig out on the prawns. Best to go there during the cool dry season. Bring a sweater as there might be a breeze.

Another place to go which is not far from Thoeng is Pusang water falls. It is said to be the only hot (thermal) waterfall in the country.

Hi there,

Guy

i went to the waterfall but never notice any hot waterfall maybe is inside.

Which waterfall did you go to? Thailand is full of waterfalls. The Pusang waterfall is near Ban Huak (actually in Phayao province).

Hi Mate

not sure we are talking the same waterfall. the one i went is after thoeng town, the drive is not far from thoeng. it call phu sang waterfall. i have a photo in my forum site.

If you walk up the stairs to the left of the waterfall you come to a hot spring that delivers some of the water to the waterfall. You can talk a long nice walk around there on a track that takes you back to the waterfall.

:o:D :D