Aussie expat Mark Pendelbury granted bail in Phuket murder case

webfact

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you about the legal part. It is a joke and moreover tool to utilize for more sordid purposes.

I also agree that one of the more wiser choices is to stay away, yet I do oppose your assumptive interpretation that Mark " ...deliberately walked towards trouble and decided to film it.".

I believe that it is unfair, in this context, to be biased against Mark for crossing the street to film, when we have not had a chance to get his views on this, or even hear him out if he would do this again in the future when it happens again.

I completely understand your views, yet I also suspect (with respect to your person) that you have not mentioned your respect, in turn, for those who do do these things in perfect curiosity and in perfect innocence with regard to their actions and behaviors and do not expect the sort of reaction thus.

I am not, in my view, confusing anything. I do agree with you, yet I also understand that my standards of principles, morals and ethics are far above those of the ones you fail to bring to the light and incriminate for their (THEIR) unjustifiable behavior.

Why Mark did what he did is not a crime, and in no instance anywhere on earth in this day and time can Mark's actions be used as a reason or excuse to justify the kind of reaction he got, unless one decides to dismiss the subject of sub-human behavior and the existence of primordial beings still in existence.

It may be what it is, as you say, but leaving it at that, and moreover ignoring the reaction and telling people to "Don't feed the apes" when the apes are not behind the bars and roaming free, is ludicrous. You are trying to describe a zoo environment, when in fact it is a jungle environment... no cages (self-restraint and fear of repercussions).

I am quite certain that you and I would agree on a lot of points. It is simply that you have lost the desire to hold fast and persist for what is right and what is wrong, and moreover have given up on others. It is alright to give up on yourself, but to sit in the bleachers and toss tomatoes at the other side for hanging in there and fighting the good fight is disingenuous. Why even attend the game if you are going to condone the one side cheating and belabor the other side for hanging in there and fighting... even to the point of using the same tactics that the cheating side uses when the chips are down... and to Hell with the referees?

Apologies for digressing, and respect to your person if I stepped on your toes.

I agree with pretty much everything you have said.

The only thing I disagree with is, despite Mark being well within his legal rights, was crossing to road to film the thugs. They do not want to be filmed giving someone a beatdown.

I just wished that Mark had not crossed the road, or at worst, had not filmed the assault by the bouncers. I stand by the fact, that as a 10 year resident, he should have known better. He just made an error in judgement in my opinion.

To be honest, I am not that upset at the dead Bouncer. I am more upset for Mark and the trouble he has found him in. He doesn't deserve it by any stretch, and I hope he gets through this. I know that I would never want to be in his position.

But he taunted the Apes, and we both agree that these feral thugs have no moral compass and they unexpectedly ran into a guy that was armed with a knife.

So, we agree 99%...it's just that crossing the road bit...

Good night sir.

Hope they do a tox screen on the bouncer. Well this played out like I thought it would. There is another thread running that asks TVreaders if you mind your ow. Business while here in Thailand. Sad but seems like this guy was trying to help and know could loose everything.

If u don't respect the law and step over the line u get clipped. Maybe this analogy explains it better than the fire analogy I used. Simple enough?

no you are still defaming him , breaking the law both criminal and civil , by your own admission you should spend the next 10 years of your life in a Thai jail and pay a princely sum to mark and have the sh1t beaten out of you by anyone that feels like it

Mark did not step over any line, he respected the law, was filming an assault to see that the offenders were properly prosecuted, he was then turned on and illegally assaulted, attempted to decamp the scene and avoid an altercation, was pursued by several would be attackers, was clearly in fear of his life or serious injury, defended himself and in so doing one of the attackers died.

Not sure about Thailand but in most western countries if someone ends up dead as a result of you undertaking illegal activity, either alone or in company, then you are guilty of murder, so the 4 other accomplices are the ones that would be charged with murder.

A post in which the quoted content had been altered to change the context of the quoted post has been removed as well as the replies:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

• 2 weeks later...

That is what you get for carrying a knife and waving it instead of legging it.

The CCTV footage shows him trying to leave but was chased down by the security guard and then others came running to join in.

I have this amusing mental image of seeing a bunch of Thai guys running over

to join in the fun of a pack of Thais performing the standard beating of a farang,

watching the lead " fighter" get stabbed, and then running like hell in the opposite

direction once they realized the farang meant business........

• 1 month later...

Posted on the topic earlier this week and stand by what I said then. I sensed it would come down to this. Mark, unfortunately will regret his decisions, regardless of the back n forth by us all of "who can, should, or would" in such a situation. At 59 and a 10 year resident here, he should know it's best to turn the other direction and exit with pace when he sees impending trouble like this..., not become an active participant.

My heart goes out to him and to the family of the man now deceased. There's nothing but sad written all over this event.

And that seems like a good post to resurrect this thread on, given that the case goes to court this coming Wednesday.

FWIW, I completely agree with you - he made a fundamental error of judgement crossing the road then (allegedly) attempting to film the incident. The question isnt whether he deserved to be assaulted - of course he didnt - but we're not talking about someone fresh off the plane stumbling into trouble. He obviously knew he wasnt dealing with the top 10% of Thai society here, and he knew they were fired up. I understand that he didnt want to see any more of the sickening violence which had put his friend in a wheelchair, but how many here seriously believe another YT vid would make a jot of difference to the clubbing decisions of drunken tourists ? Even if he had somehow managed to get that venue closed, how would it change the culture that allows thugs with zero training and no apparent fear of the law to masquerade as 'security staff' ?

It's worth noting that at no time during my late-night escapades in Pattaya or BKK have I felt the need to carry a knife, and I'd be interested to know how many here do so as a matter of routine. Unlike a walking stick or similar, IMO its not a defensive weapon unless you consider the best defense a good offense. Waving it at a group might have the desired effect but I wouldnt want to bet my life on it in a country where many of the locals reportedly carry knives of their own - in any case, once you produce it you have to be prepared to use it. I'll leave it to the TVF legal experts to determine if carrying a bladed weapon signals intent, and I guess we'll find out soon enough how the Thai judiciary sees said weapon in the context of this incident.

Archived