Cannot lose money in pigs teerak...hmmmm

Ok just met a great girl from sakon nakon...mum owns lots land. Girl says she has fallen in love with me ( or my money lol ) she wants us to go live in isaan ( these thai chicks move fast ) anyway she does seem like a lovely girl and i just spent a couple months with her . She told me her mum will give chanote for about 6 rai of land to me if i want to make pig farm with my new teerak. I smell a rat and am definately in no hurry to waste or throw money into this venture. I do know that meal is getting more expensive but my girl has told me that meal csn also be substituted with other food such as coconut husks etc etc but i dont know. She does firmly believe she cannot lose money in pigs. I simply dont know but am curious to learn about this as if i did stay with her long term i would consider this. Sure it eould be better than investing money into a pattaya bar surely lol. She said about 500.000 baht should start us off. She has he own money also plus she has house she can borrow money off back of from bank but she wants joint venture. Your thoughts please

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What previous experience does she have of running a pig farm?

What makes you think she could run one successfully now?

(or any other business for that matter)

How many new Thai business ventures have you seen fail within 6 months with a total loss to all investors?

How many new Thai business ventures have you seen fail within 6 months with a total loss to all investors?

She hasn't but the parents probably have.

The OP is only good for the money he will put in......the rest is up to them.......till they get fed up with him and throw him out.

Ive lived in isaan for a good number of years with x wife .kalasin region. Yes i wonder if this venture is so good why mamma has not done so before ? Mama has other land growing palm oil etc. Things i would like to learn about is such as how much for piglets . Where to buy from which wholesaler in sakon nakon province. Total cost from piglet to sow and price to sell live . I am in the middle of reading an article from isaan aussie . Very very informative.

If the Family dont Skin You, C.P. will.They get all their info from your food suppliers they own in the area,know exactly what u got then drop their prices to hurt your margins.If youre big, they approach you to raise for them, same as they do to Fish Farmers.

Ask any pig farmer from the american mid-west to eastern timbuktu. = You can loose a lot of money with pigs. While the statement of GF "you can not loose money with pigs" stands correct, if one is willing and (financially) able to sick with it for 10 years.

Since the Thai-Mentality is not geared for long term-thinking, (unless having chinese ancestrial roots and chinese upbringing) at the first sign of adversity, they will throw in the towel and OP will be faced with a 100 % write off in the magnitude of 500'000 Bht

Generally: Small to mid-sized Farmers in Thailand will gladly confirm: "There is no money in Farming".

OP has 2 ways to disperse of 500'000 Bht:

- Engage in pig- business and loose 500'000 Bht and write a book titled "How I lost 500'000 Bht in Thailnd with pigs" OR;

- How I engaged 500 Hostesses in Thailand and I had the time of my life.

The financial result of both avenues will be the same: All the money gone !

But witch book title would sell better than the other? biggrin.png

Cheers.

If the Family dont Skin You, C.P. will.They get all their info from your food suppliers they own in the area,know exactly what u got then drop their prices to hurt your margins.If youre big, they approach you to raise for them, same as they do to Fish Farmers.

yea i have heard that , i heard from a guy years ago in udon thani , he lost 3 million because of such a thing.

I cant believe your even considering it after only a two months of being together.

I lived in Isaan for a few years too, and I think unless your getting married, FORGET IT.

oh no , no intentions after a couple months. just wanted to find out if there is any truth in what she says about pig farming as i allready suspected from the start that she doesnt know what shes talking about or else her mama would be doing it allready !!!

or she is trying to play me like a deck of cards whistling.gif

my sincere advice:

Never and Ever trust to put any cach, or do investment with a Thai lady...

trust me, many foreigners are married fir decades and have hlaf dozen of kids and finally got cheated..

Never join venture, or spoil urself,

invest ur money in stock market, or do something where u can have full control.

beware man..

Are you bored with life? Are you retired? Are you just looking for something to do? Did you work for 20 or 30 years, have now earned your retirement, but are eager to get busy again and pick up a whole boat load of day to day problems? Then go for it. But the odds of financial success are against you. The odds of you being pushed aside when you stop bringing in fresh money are significant. You have to understand how strong the drive is for the daughter to do anything for the mother, despite the girl's outward likeness of you

I cant believe your even considering it after only a two months of being together.

I lived in Isaan for a few years too, and I think unless your getting married, FORGET IT.

oh no , no intentions after a couple months. just wanted to find out if there is any truth in what she says about pig farming as i allready suspected from the start that she doesnt know what shes talking about or else her mama would be doing it allready !!!

To make money with pigs you need to cut costs everywhere, which means internalizing costs for supplies, feed, etc.

So... pig farming alone, no...

But I do believe there is money to be made by creating a vertically integrated chain of businesses - this works in countries where finding quality meat is problematic.

One of the challenges for meat/sausage factories is to find animals of the proper "standard", for example pigs that have the right age, weight and fat percentage, or beef with the desired characteristics.

It means there is a need upstream in the product chain to produce animal food and also downstream for meatproducts (eatable wieners are terribly expensive in Thailand) and leather, leatherwares...

That's the way to make money with livestock.

To make wieners you will also need sheep (for the casings) ... the wool can be used for a lot of things and the meat for tasty kebabs at last !!

But to get back down to reality, all the above needs qualified personnel on one hand and on the other hand loyal people able to control the staff, i.e. the authoritarian foreman type, I don't believe westerners can fill the role in Thailand.

During my 15 years in Thailand, I have seen many small pig farming start-ups. Not one has survived. That suggests to me that it is not easy to earn money with pigs, especially without knowledge/experience.

First establish a market for the finished pigs. No point if you cannot sell the pigs for a decent price which allows a profit. You need to have real customers and not just the odd village funeral or house warming party, but people who butcher pigs or on-sell to a network. People who do it for a living.

Read the last few pages of the Farming Forum "Pigs 101" pinned topic to understand just how difficult that can be.

To make money with pigs you need to cut costs everywhere, which means internalizing costs for supplies, feed, etc.

So... pig farming alone, no...

But I do believe there is money to be made by creating a vertically integrated chain of businesses - this works in countries where finding quality meat is problematic.

One of the challenges for meat/sausage factories is to find animals of the proper "standard", for example pigs that have the right age, weight and fat percentage, or beef with the desired characteristics.

It means there is a need upstream in the product chain to produce animal food and also downstream for meatproducts (eatable wieners are terribly expensive in Thailand) and leather, leatherwares...

That's the way to make money with livestock.

To make wieners you will also need sheep (for the casings) ... the wool can be used for a lot of things and the meat for tasty kebabs at last !!

But to get back down to reality, all the above needs qualified personnel on one hand and on the other hand loyal people able to control the staff, i.e. the authoritarian foreman type, I don't believe westerners can fill the role in Thailand.

i think your spot on .

And the mom has not helped her in this sure thing, why? She's going way too fast and you are just being taken for the ride.

yes for sure , maybe daughter has best intentions, though if mum knows so much why didnt she do it, its a big no no from me. like im thinking this is thailand , its their country , they have been bred into farming life all their generations , why would they need farang ? 555

quess i just needed to hear what i knew all along. and i needed to glean some info off you guys in the know to hit her back with. also warning to anyone else. as i say these girls move fast, beware thumbsup.gif

And the mom has not helped her in this sure thing, why? She's going way too fast and you are just being taken for the ride.

plus she just been back from singapore selling her ass few months ago. advice taken guys

Calling this a business venture is like calling Nigerian emails a business venture.

So now she knows you have at least THB 500K to your name (since you did not already decline on the grounds of not having that kind of money).

Another aspect to consider doing this venture with her: after a few years of working on the pig farm......she will not be the little sexy tight pretty hot thing that she

(presumably) is now.

smile.png

Some guys might tell her they have a sick buffalo that needs all their financial resources right now so she knows that you know, or they might be Nigerian and explain a deal where they have an inheritance big enough to buy ten pig farms but they need 1.5 million to pay the taxes to get it out of probate.

Does that mean u are putting in half 250k.I think it sounds interesting.Watched a program about pig farming in Spain the other night.It was the poorest region in Spain and the farmers didnt realise how much there pigs were selling for.These were the wild type -black rather than pink.Keep researching and keep your options open and good luck.

There are three initial questions you ever need to ask yourself when embarking in any business venture:

1. Do I have the personal expertise needed?

2. What does the business plan and ROI look like?

3. What investment protections / barriers to entry to I have?

From the sound of your OP, I assume your answers are:

1. None

2. There isn't a business plan

3. None

My suggestion: If you want to invest your money, invest it in the thing you have a lifetime of expertise in. Anything else is guaranteed to fail (no matter what the actual intentions/motivations)

Archived