Cannot lose money in pigs teerak...hmmmm

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a few things about your pig farm idea:

1) you don't need 6 rai to build a pig farm, so.you have plenty of land.

2) 500k is not enough to get a decent pig businesses started. You want to build a medium size pig farm ( say for about 400-500 pigs) you need about 1m to build the farm.

3) you will have to buy the pigs ( either babies or mom pig or combination) to get started. 1 baby pig about 2000 baht, mom pig about 15,000 baht

4) pig food. Very important. your biggest cost driver,so you need to understand how to make pig food at low cost and still have the right mix, ie protein.

5) I recommend a biogas system, this way you have free electrcity, cooking gas and also important your farm doesn't smell,especially if the land is near a village.

6) other running costs to consider is hiring a farmer to do the work - unless I guess her family would do it.

7) Also very important is you need to know where you sell your pigs to once grown up. Best to have some deal with a company/business where to sell your pigs to.

All in all I think it is a good business but do a lot more research to understand yourself what you invest in amd look at it like a business. I have realised many Thais have no clue about their costing/break even cost, how pig price moves etc. You should establish at least a small business plan for this and recommend at least 1 year time before starting to learn about pig farming.

hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information

I think I have heard this farm type story many times over in Isaan but this is this the first time with pigs. Mum and the girl have obviously put lipstick on the pig to make the proposal sound enticing and exciting to you but you need to tread with great care. Pig farming is very time consuming and costly and unless you know what you are doing your money will soon disappear after which you will be dispensed with. Please remind yourself of the story about fools and money.

post-233406-0-84470500-1426310214_thumb.

"She does firmly believe she cannot lose money in pigs." She is a very honest lady. She will never lose money from the pigs because it is your money 55555. Even if she invests half then when the value of all the pigs get to 50% you will be sent packing then at least she will get all her investment back. You.......Well who cares. Only silly farang and with her looks and sweet ass she can get more. Momma taught her all this good way 555555. wai.gif

....don't "invest" 1 baht in this country...!!!.....tell her if it is "such a good investment" why hasn't mama borrowed the money off the bank previously to start it up?

...."give you the chanote for about 6 rai of land".......utter BS

Get the hell away from this girl that has "fallen in love with you"...and that you..."have spent 2 months with her"

Do you really want us experts on TV to spell it out for you??

Mama has already spotted the "farang sucker"...and I guarantee you will advising daughter on the snaring tactics

I purchased a whole pig last week killed , cleaned and Bbq at my doorstep for 2000 baht and that's Farang price ,you will get a lot of piggys for 500,000 baht . When the vet comes to give them there inspection and needles for 700 baht a piggy remember that is her brother or husband. Good luck in your new venture hope it brings home the bacon.

If you are looking for a diplomatic solution; suggest to your GF that you buy only a few piglets/pigs and see how the business works for a year. Keep an accurate spreadsheet so you know the costs and can make a business plan. Also it buys you time….

My GF used to keep a few pigs and she says it can be a 24/7 job at times and of course smelly, but she did make money.

As an aside, we were at my GF’s Father’s house last month and he keeps 6 pigs; suddenly there was an almighty amount of squealing because a 6’ (2m) black snake had got in with the pigs, Father just picked up stick and dispatched it! Not something I would like to even attempt!

I just couldn't wait to reply quickly enough.

It sounds exactly like my ex, in the exact

same region,, tried the same thing with me

they (family) wanted to be rich, knew of a

young Dutch guy married to a Thai girl who

ran a pig farm and were very successful

selling piglets, the family wanted to do the same.

They were from the region close to you.

After so many previous failed business starts i

think, not another one, my girl hounds me for

the same amount of money you describe, oh i

just can't deal with lazy Issan people always

looking for the JACKPOT falang,, i stood my

ground and refused to hand over the cash,

within a week they kicked me out of my house,

i was really happy to leave, now i think i have

been replaced by a new JACKPOT, you.

good luck, please PM me with more information

as i would love to tell you more of the missing

pieces,, one thing the Issan people hate more

in the whole world, the dreaded 4 letter word,,,,

W-O-R-K

Bulls#it! Another racist wa#ker without a clue!

Ask any pig farmer from the american mid-west to eastern timbuktu. = You can loose a lot of money with pigs. While the statement of GF "you can not loose money with pigs" stands correct, if one is willing and (financially) able to sick with it for 10 years.

Since the Thai-Mentality is not geared for long term-thinking, (unless having chinese ancestrial roots and chinese upbringing) at the first sign of adversity, they will throw in the towel and OP will be faced with a 100 % write off in the magnitude of 500'000 Bht

Generally: Small to mid-sized Farmers in Thailand will gladly confirm: "There is no money in Farming".

OP has 2 ways to disperse of 500'000 Bht:

- Engage in pig- business and loose 500'000 Bht and write a book titled "How I lost 500'000 Bht in Thailnd with pigs" OR;

- How I engaged 500 Hostesses in Thailand and I had the time of my life.

The financial result of both avenues will be the same: All the money gone !

But witch book title would sell better than the other? biggrin.png

Cheers.

"- Engage in pig- business and loose 500'000 Bht and write a book titled "How I lost 500'000 Bht in Thailnd with pigs" OR;

- How I engaged 500 Hostesses in Thailand and I had the time of my life."

the OP won't even need to miss pig farming since a significant % of these encounters appear to be akin to animal husbandry

Tell your lady you are not interested in the venture or living up in Isaan & i bet her loving attitude towards you will change? but if she's ok with your reply that could mean there's no trick involved & you can always say to her later that it was a good idea after all.

Tell your lady you are not interested in the venture or living up in Isaan & i bet her loving attitude towards you will change? but if she's ok with your reply that could mean there's no trick involved & you can always say to her later that it was a good idea after all.

An alternative perspective; in rural CM, a lot of pig-farming, (and chickens too) are that you link to a total firm, like Betagrow. They supply the piglets and the food, all you do is fatten them up. Then after about 5 months the big firm arrange collection and take to market. You get the pay for fattening them up, that's all. I say this from experience - yes, I started a capital loan of 1m bt to my new wife to start a pig farm for 600 pigs. That was 13 years ago. She employed family members, so that kept the family happy. She's a good business woman, the pig farm has grown to 1,800 pigs, with alternative fuel system of methane from the pig shit. My wife has now developed 12 rai of Lumyai orchard, and a chicken farm for 10,000 chickens, (same system as the pig farm).

I know of another farang locally with a similar story - so in essence, to the OP, it can be done, despite all the doom-merchants of TV

I know Betagro ( same Betagrow?) I like the idea. Can you send me the contact details ?

The OP wrote in another thread "i was slapped with a 790 euro fine and charges in dublin airport" cause he bring with him too much gold.

So now, the best thing other forum users can do is not reply to people who tend to do stupid things and write troll post. As Thai Visa admin I would lock the thread, probably will fine myself too for put this thread in the newsletter page.

Basically he did some really big stupid think in his past and is trying to feel better taking fun of others especially other BMs who could think that investing in a business that don't smell so good is a great opportunity.

this is the last im posting,,

i dont feal the need to try and convert,

every one to there own thing, im into farming,,,

Dear PJ,

Please keep posting, I enjoy reading your replies, it's nice to read posts from someone that has such a nice life in Thailand.

I like to ask questions, if I didn't ask, you wouldn't be giving me such interesting replies.

Good to hear your farm in Thailand is self supporting, one of the few GOOD mixed business/relationship stories around.

Some joint venture....you put up the money, her mom sells the land?.......sounds like your getting the short end of the stick.

You can't own the land In Thailand Unless you are Thai. So in fact she will own the land, the mother gets the 500,000 baht, And in six weeks

you are out of the picture....Screw that! It Sucks!

If the Family dont Skin You, C.P. will.They get all their info from your food suppliers they own in the area,know exactly what u got then drop their prices to hurt your margins.If youre big, they approach you to raise for them, same as they do to Fish Farmers.

yea i have heard that , i heard from a guy years ago in udon thani , he lost 3 million because of such a thing.

A friend of mine knew this guy, he ended up having to go into hiding, but at least this guy got some of his things out of the house when she was out. Maybe a different guy, maybe many fall into this trap in Udon Thani

Or may be same woman, different guy

I grew up on a USA farm that raised pigs.

Bad news, very bad smell, routine health shots and castrations.

Good news, easy to keep a stable population, they care for themselves, the litters are huge.

Pig farming is not too bad. Initial investment of half mil seems high even if you have to buy first herd of pigs and their food. It is easy to compute volume eaten per head and cost per head from birth to sale. Check pork market...does it vary a lot? Is there a dependable local market? Do you have to prep the pork or just sell on the hoof? You will need a truck bed larger than pickup or try a trailer. You will always have the best pork steaks.

Pig farming is well documented in books/Internet so you can plan ahead with cost/profit computations which are no mystery.

Good Luck !

Well, unless you are qualified to run a farm, and have work permits to do so, you will just have to hand over loads of cash to set it up, then bankroll the employment of her extended family to do the actual work, because you are not allowed to.

Then there is something about helping Thais with money. It's never enough, and they will immediately come back for more, or even ask for more before they've even been away and come back.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Just as much money, if not more, in the hideous and illegal dog meat trade.

The only outlay is a truck, a few cages and a catching device.

"Animal husbandry" is not an issue. Barbeque a few locally to cover the fuel bills to the border.

And you won't have to pay taxes, only a bit of cash to the local authorities to look the other way and lubricate your run to the border. There's big money waiting in China and Vietnam.

Or tell her that you are really getting into Buddhism, and can not harm any animal, let alone eat one, or support a facility which allows other people to harm animals ... and eat them.

Ohh dear .... (sorry) What a complex world this is.

Well honey. For 500.000 i can also give you special oilmassage and make you feel good, really good! But you don't want to be there and you don't want to do that and she is not the only one. So stop that thinking and tell her what you actually want of her and see where it goes from there. Cows is much better because they. can eat all the free grass out there.

Guess here family owns all that land from different bf that fell in love and after some time realised <deleted> am i doing here.

But in the end it's your life not mine.

Good luck

We have had 20 pigs (females).

It is a lot of work and no day free.

The only way we could make money with it was to mix the pig food ourselves (ready mix is to expensive).

Breed the piglets ourselves (we kept 1 male for that, otherwise it will cost you 700 baht every time) (buying pilets cost you around 1200 -1600 baht)

Feed the piglets untill they are over 100 kilos (in 3 or 4 months)

slaughter the pigs ourselves at home.

Put the meat in bags of 5 kilos and drive around ourselves in the car to sell the 5 kilo bags for 500 baht.

That was the only way we made some money with it....but not a lot.

remember also that our living standards are not the same as the Isaan living standards..... we just need more money than a Isaan farmer.

Apart from the question about whether you could stand working in a pig farm and living in the tedium of the average village, you have not mentioned what you do/did for a living. What is your skill set? Can you not make far more money at that than trying to make money out of pigs?

In a nutshell You cannot own land here in Thailand as a foreigner Thats the rule . So what will you do when she kicks you off the land

Get real dude she smell a lottery why do you think she moved so fast cheesy.gif

You came here for advise I have been here for almost 20 years as a Farang

Typical way for your "teerak" to get the insurance your money will go to her and her family and won't end up in the pocket of another thai lady... 2 months relation + isaan + pig farm... even being color blind I see big red flags...

Archived