Advice please - Teaching

We are considering our options, to move to Thailand from UK, in a few years time, when I will be in early 50's. I am happily married to my Thai wife for some years now.

I have degree (BSc) plus a post grad diploma in sciences. I am considering starting a TEFL course.

Given, I would be residing in Thailand via the marriage visa and have a degree, what is the likelihood of obtaining teaching work at around 52, or maybe 55 yrs old? Is the TEFL a good route or are there any recommended alternatives?

You would find it easy to find work but the majority of it you may not find satisfactory. I wouldn't recommend a state school for someone starting their teaching career. If there are no financial pressures, it would be best to take your time in selecting a position as most of it is underpaid drudgery.

• Like 1

My school considers applicants up to 60, but as we know in Thailand it's probably more important how you look than what your actual age is. If you wear it well, you'll probably be okay.

What with the uncertainty of the teacher's license/waiver situation, "qualified" applicants will be fewer and farther between. Putting age restrictions on top of that will only make matters worse for schools. Something's gotta give.

• Like 2

Ok, point taken regarding a challenge, and the risk of underpaid drudgery. My wife's parents are retired teachers, so yes, there is a chance of some networking to help find a good school.

But, like I raised in my original post, is there anything else I could do to increase the chances of finding a good position, like additional qualifications?

Would you consider starting a teaching career in a school in UK or US or elsewhere in Farang Land at 55? Aside from the probable age and experience discrimination against you when applying at the "better" schools, consider the likely reception you would get from students. If you envision them being all loving and eager to learn from the elderly newbie in your home country, you may be fantasizing and it won't be much different here.

Since you've got science degrees, try to find work as a math & science teacher. My school claims that I'm getting a higher salary than my coworkers because I teach math, physics & some other sciency-type subjects like health & nutrition. I've no way to know whether that's true or not since I don't know what the other teachers' salaries are, but that's what they claim.

• Like 2

I'm 60 + and could / can always find work, but really hate the nonsense / time wasting and BS that is involved , in schools

the students usually are great though, so when called upon I work in private business with older / attentive students ... then it's a pleasure.

• Like 1

Ok, point taken regarding a challenge, and the risk of underpaid drudgery. My wife's parents are retired teachers, so yes, there is a chance of some networking to help find a good school.

But, like I raised in my original post, is there anything else I could do to increase the chances of finding a good position, like additional qualifications?

CELTA...

• Like 1

Would you consider starting a teaching career in a school in UK or US or elsewhere in Farang Land at 55? Aside from the probable age and experience discrimination against you when applying at the "better" schools, consider the likely reception you would get from students. If you envision them being all loving and eager to learn from the elderly newbie in your home country, you may be fantasizing and it won't be much different here.

What if the overall perception is not one of being an elderly newbie, but rather one of being an experienced professional? Or, you could have the younger, inexperienced, ex-backpacker?

Addendum: Why would you think any person 55 or older is too old to start a teaching career? Many of our finest university professors started their teaching careers after having retired from a profession. If this man has made his living with his university degrees in science . . . he is that experienced professional.

Edited by smotherb
  • Like 2

I have heard from some people that they love to hire young, blond, American/Australian girls/women (22ish). I'm sure if they look like someone in a movie, step to the front of the line!!!

Proficiency in the English language might be a top-10 concern.......might.

In my experience, employers who seek a teaching qualification such as CELTA (e.g. International Schools) are the ones who place an upper age limit on new teachers, typically 45. With just an online TEFL qualification, I was able to teach at Government Schools, a Language School and a University from the age of 59 until voluntarily retiring five years later. Salaries were acceptable but not brilliant.

PGCE is the minimum you should have to turn you into a correctly qualified teacher in Thailand.

Nonsense. If you only plan to do TEFL, a degree and a good TEFL qualification like CELTA is all you need.

Should be, problem being that to get a Thai teachers license it won't cut it. Sad, isn't it? ><

PGCE is the minimum you should have to turn you into a correctly qualified teacher in Thailand.

Nonsense. If you only plan to do TEFL, a degree and a good TEFL qualification like CELTA is all you need.

Should be, problem being that to get a Thai teachers license it won't cut it. Sad, isn't it? ><

It cuts it fine if you're happy to teach in language schools and the corporate sector.

A TESOL a certificate (or CELTA) is probably the best qualification for you. Even then you wouldn't "need" either but they'd more help by assisting you with understanding effective methods of teaching English as a second language. If you do a TESOL certificate, ensure it is primarily classroom learning and not just online. As online courses are worthless.

Whether you got one or not, under current regulations with your existing qualifications you could legally teach for 4-6 years if you stuck with the same school (less if you changed schools). As you're married, you could also "legally" teach indefinitely via a grey area in the existing regulations

A PGCE would be better, but at your age it's probably not worth the time/investment, particularly as its not "needed" in your situation under existing regulations. But it would allow you to obtain a full teacher's licence, open up the possibility of higher paying jobs and likely make you a better teacher than the other qualifications (only "likely" as it more focuses on teaching in your home country rather than teaching English as a second language, and they are distinctly different. But it's also a full year course, so covers a lot of other areas in depth that TESOL/CELTA only briefly touch on, so makes for a more well rounded teacher).

And as mentioned previously, focus on teaching Science in English, rather than just teaching English, and you'll find that jobs are offered to you left right and center.

• Like 2

with your current degree and with a tefl or tesol you will be able to get a job at a low class government uni in issan 28,000 a month. turn up to any uni in issan around june with your CV and apply. They will be just finishing the academic year and preparing for the next semester start date august this year. No teacher license required.

Edited by bbabythai