Windows 7 desktop gadgets not working.

KhunHeineken

I've never had a problem using these gadgets and getting a virus, trojan, worm, or whatever. I was aware this was why Microsoft shut them down.

Does anyone know, with the security vulnurabilities these gadgets apparently have, what's the worst thing that can happen?

Sorry KhunHeineken, you're right. The Currency Meter was updated, but we are here speaking about Stock Meter. It's implementation for use as a Currency Meter.

Yes, but now Currency Meter is working again, there's no need to use the Stock Meter as a work around.

Indeed Stock meter was just a work around, while currency meter was not functioning, but hasn't the same dedicated function as Currency Meter which is that you can use it as a converter.

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update.

I checked the Add Gadget website today and found a new version of the Currency Meter had been released. "Last updated 2nd April 2015"

http://addgadgets.com/

I installed it and it works.

I then installed the weather gadget and it's working again as well.

anyone found this stopped working today again

I think Microsoft try to stop the gadgets from working whenever there is a windows update, they are considered high risk in Win 7. So I just use my Android tablet now, it's loaded with gadgets.

I think Microsoft try to stop the gadgets from working whenever there is a windows update, they are considered high risk in Win 7. So I just use my Android tablet now, it's loaded with gadgets.

I don't think it has anything to do with Windows updates, because I haven't installed any updates since currency meter came active again, and both stopped working today.

I looked at a few options and couldn't find a replacement I liked. I especially miss the currency gadget. Now I simply use the XE website on my desktop. XE also have a very good Android smartphone app.

When the old gadget shut down, I didn't have a problem with the currency meter by addgadget, but there was little other options available. Now it's shut down, there doesn't seem to be anything similar to replace it.

I have the XE Android App on my phone. It's a brilliant app. Does anyone know why there isn't a big variety of Windows 7 gadgets? There are a lot of Windows 7 machines around, and they will be around for a while to come.

Some time ago microsoft issued a security advisory/warning that the gadgets were a vulnerability and actually advised to not use them. I would guess that constituted the death knell for anyone trying to develop them.

The gadget has to access a free source for the data and it is that source that has likely blocked access, if done right the developer would be running his own server and database which is then accessed by the gadget but that would cost money with little return (if any), he may update to version 1.4 tweaking some stuff but don't expect it to last either, that is the problem with these stand alone developers on windows they have little to gain for their work, on Android you have well established companies offering apps to their data - weather - finance etc but they have gains in doing that.

The gadget has to access a free source for the data and it is that source that has likely blocked access, if done right the developer would be running his own server and database which is then accessed by the gadget but that would cost money with little return (if any), he may update to version 1.4 tweaking some stuff but don't expect it to last either, that is the problem with these stand alone developers on windows they have little to gain for their work, on Android you have well established companies offering apps to their data - weather - finance etc but they have gains in doing that.

I have purchased apps from the Google Play Store. If these desktop gadgets were reliable, and offered for purchased, I would buy them as well, if reasonably priced.

There appears to be a demand for them, not sure why the developers haven't copied the phone app idea, but for Windows 7, if it's possible.

A quick update.

I checked the Add Gadget website today and found a new version of the Currency Meter had been released. "Last updated 2nd April 2015"

Thanks for this. I have installed the gadget and am having trouble selecting the desired currencies to watch. The website offers no information. Any advice?

A quick update.

Thanks for this. I have installed the gadget and am having trouble selecting the desired currencies to watch. The website offers no information. Any advice?

that is the version (1.3) that just recently stopped working, so we eagerly await version 1.4 if it is in the works

Yes, Version 1.4 released and working.

Under the release history it says:

Release history

Version: 1.4 - Fixed currency API issue.

Version: 1.3 - Fixed currency API issue.

It looks like an API issue is what caused the problem with the last two versions.

In plain English, can one of you IT guys explain what an API issue is?

I've had this gadget for a long time, and it was very reliable, but recently, it's these API issues that keep crashing it.

A quick update.

Version 1.3 crashed just the other day. If you installed it, that's why you can not select a currency.

Uninstall Version 1.3 and install Version 1.4, released on 5/5/2015.

You will be able to select / change the currency by hovering the cursor over the automatic currency that is selected upon install. You can convert several currecies. Click on the "+" symbol to add another currency.

• 3 months later...

Dead again.

Had noticed a week or 2 already that the all gadgets on my desktop became unresponsive and had to be restarted again, so last night is when it all stopped finally.

yes the currency meter 1.4 stopped again

You guys are lucky, I reinstalled, restarted pc, refreshed and all else that is possible but my gadget is still blank.

Turn on my computer this morning and it was off again.

This time, I didn't do anything and it just came back on, like it did for smedly.

Aha, but mine started working again around midnight, and was still working this morning.

May be it is now only available to a limited amount of users, and they have to select every day which one is the lucky one. laugh.png

• 2 years later...

I see there is another thread about this topic.  I relied on the old currency converter, then started using the currency meter from Add Gadgets, due to comments in this thread.  Like the other thread says, now the currency meter is not working.  I thought I would bump my thread from ages ago to see if anyone has alternatives.

It was good to have all the currency rates at start up and refreshed every 30 mins.

XE is a great website but it was handy having several currencies on the desktop.

So once again, does anyone know of a similar desktop currency converter?

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bumping this thread, along with the other similar thread, to say that after 3 weeks the work around is still working and is reliable and stable. 

I missed that gadget a lot, and now it has be revived. 

Thanks again to those who contributed, and to smedly for the solution.