Expatitis in Thailand, Is Your Glass Half Empty or Half Full?

george

Expatitis in Thailand, Is Your Glass Half Empty or Half Full?
old-man-730x410.jpg
Many of the Westerners who come to Thailand to live and work come here with unrealistic expectations. Many have been here on holiday and expect that life in Thailand will be totally free of frowns.

Most often they are in for a rude awakening and that awakening often turns them into cynical, bitter, angry whiners who see themselves as victims. They are miserable and they frequently make others miserable. The reason for this is that they acquired a disease I will call Expatitis and any depression or problems they tried to escape are exacerbated.

The primary symptom of this problem is unhappiness, which usually manifests itself in extreme and irrational anger and often depression. In addition to the very frequent use of swear words in association with Thailand or Thai people, the person uses the following kinds of words very frequently: cheat, lie, steal, irresponsible, stupid, backward, lazy and corrupt. Sarcasm is an often-used tool as is mocking Thais as well as expats who like Thailand.

Finally, these bitter, sad expats rejoice in problems or difficulties that Thailand or Thai people experience. They actually want Thailand to be corrupt or in an economic downturn or experience other problems. Then the expat can laugh a bitter angry laugh and say, “See, just what I told you.”

If you haven’t moved to Thailand yet, understand quite clearly that Thailand is a place and like any place it has its share of problems. Those problems and the solutions to them are usually different to the problems and solutions in their home country.

If you are already here, try to hang out with positive people; those who are happy and enjoy living in Thailand. Good supportive, non-negative, non-Thai bashing friends can make a big difference.

The mind-body connection can help you too. Smile and walk in a happy way and you can lift yourself up. Think positively and your face and body will reflect that happiness. Fake it until you make it.

Avoid negative people. Negativity is a contagious disease. Also avoid druggies, drunks and people who are always broke. Most often those kinds of people are fellow expats. Be extremely careful with them – whether they are the professional type or the barfly. Most of the problems people have experienced in Thailand came from expats – not Thais.

Find people you can talk with about assorted problems without whining. Joking about problems is not the same thing as bitterly accusing an entire country of something bad. I’ve got friends at work – both Thai and expat – who I joke with about students being late, Thai road etiquette, corruption or whatever else is on my mind. That’s a far cry from saying “They’re all a bunch of liars and cheaters.”

If you already suffer from the idea that Thailand and Thai people have victimized you and you are a whining machine, there is only one possible cure. Go back where you came from. Maybe then you will realize what a great place Thailand is and be able to come back and be happy. On the other hand, maybe you were an unhappy person burdened by one problem after another in your own country before you came to Thailand. In that case, seek counseling.

Source: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/expatitis-in-thailand-is-your-glass-half-empty-or-half-full.html

-- Chiang Rai Times 2015-03-14

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, some druggies and drunks aren't broke and are quite positive and happy/successful people.

Maybe don't ride shotgun in their car, but no need to tar people with the negativity brush just because they aren't your typical teatotalling snooty pants.

I came here thinking it was a country full of dangerous roads, scammers and hookers.

I wasn't expecting the military Junta.

But apart from that, no surprises.

I tell a lie, only one surprise, the litter and debris scattered everywhere,

beauty spots, temples, roads, beaches, sea ...... it's everywhere.

A lot of the ranters love to attack "the Thai Chinese" and/or "hi-so" and attribute their wealth to being corrupt scammers, etc.

Yet these same ranters have been scammed by their in-laws from Isaan, etc. who are not the "hi-so" Thai Chinese.

Not just ranters but envious ranters, if you ask me... biggrin.png

my glass is sometimes half full, and sometimes half empty.

after evaluating the situation, I came to the conclusion, that my glass in Thailand (and in Asia in general as I could easily live in Malaysia, Phils, Indo as well, VISA permitting) is half full more often here than it would be in my home country.

Therefore, I am here, enjoying my glass half full and making the best of it and trying to make it even fuller

Having many Thai friends ,living in a small village, with expats, I hear only complaints of " its hot ! dam hot " Coming here with a plan in mind , setting myself up with my Thai wife and daughters, has been an easier struggle than anywhere else I have been in the world , love Thailand , love its people , with all its faults , i try to make little differences where i can to help eliminate any perceived ideas on expats by Thais, I give an example =

I was invited to a wedding last week , and helped out by washing glasses, picking up used cutlery , clearing tables , helping fold away the tent and tables chairs etc,

the locals where very happy to see a Farang helping out , to see that i was prepared to pitch in like them , Accepted as an equal, GET OUT WHAT YOU PUT IN ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD,

Yep and 90% of these moaners are on here daily Thai bashing and bashing those who love it here. Moving to Thailand is the best move I ever made with the most wonderful people and great weather and my glass is full to the brim everyday. I feel sorry for those maybe who didnt work out for but hey you always have a home country to go back to. And leave the rest of us to enjoy our adopted country.

Having many Thai friends ,living in a small village, with expats, I hear only complaints of " its hot ! dam hot " Coming here with a plan in mind , setting myself up with my Thai wife and daughters, has been an easier struggle than anywhere else I have been in the world , love Thailand , love its people , with all its faults , i try to make little differences where i can to help eliminate any perceived ideas on expats by Thais, I give an example =

I was invited to a wedding last week , and helped out by washing glasses, picking up used cutlery , clearing tables , helping fold away the tent and tables chairs etc,

the locals where very happy to see a Farang helping out , to see that i was prepared to pitch in like them , Accepted as an equal, GET OUT WHAT YOU PUT IN ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD,

You sound like a great person and cannot agree more. You get out what you put in. Good luck to yer.

its the crumpet that drags them down into despair ,things never pan out as well as they would like due to the money demands that leave them potless

With women anywhere, nothing ever pans out as well as you would like.

A lot of the ranters love to attack "the Thai Chinese" and/or "hi-so" and attribute their wealth to being corrupt scammers, etc.

Yet these same ranters have been scammed by their in-laws from Isaan, etc. who are not the "hi-so" Thai Chinese.

Seem to recall from years ago that the majority of members claimed to be married to Chinese Thais. In fact declared most were PHDs, champion athletes, beauty queens and company directors.

Not only that but their skins were so white that whitening creams actually made them darker.

As to the bedroom, don't even go there.

Now as to the OP, some good advice there.

"Expatitis" is that a disease or what? C'mon George you asked the question, I don't have the answer, do you have the cure or is it incurable?

If there was a cure Thaivisa would die!!whistling.gif

I have to say, been here since 2009, and my glass has never been less than half-full and more often full to the brim. I've met expats real life who definitely did not have expatitis, but I've encountered a lot who definitely do lurking underneath the anonymity of online forums and such. Seems there is always a contingent that does nothing but attack Thailand, denigrate Thai people, and complain when things are not their way. Agree 100% with this article and its recommended cure.

Seem to recall from years ago that the majority of members claimed to be married to Chinese Thais. In fact declared most were PHDs, champion athletes, beauty queens and company directors.

Not only that but their skins were so white that whitening creams actually made them darker.

As to the bedroom, don't even go there.

Now as to the OP, some good advice there.

Theyre still around, with the my wife is well educated line.

Personally, I find the 'head in the sand' brigade more annoying than the whiners. There is nothing wrong in seeing a place for what it is, to walk around with blinkers on makes people appear none too clever and somewhat in denial. The author of the article sounds like a bitter person himself, and etiquette is a word usually associated with politeness, so completely misused in the context that he chose for it.

The most miserable expats here are the ones who seem to have no interests. The happiest have at least 3 interests, perhaps 1 sporting and 2 intellectual. And often a full time job on top of that. Too much time on your hands is a big problem. Highest points on the misery index always go to the alcoholics and the old sex-pats. Those two groups just seem to be caught in a nightmare cycle of despair.

Personally, I find the 'head in the sand' brigade more annoying than the whiners. There is nothing wrong in seeing a place for what it is, to walk around with blinkers on makes people appear none too clever and somewhat in denial. The author of the article sounds like a bitter person himself, and etiquette is a word usually associated with politeness, so completely misused in the context that he chose for it.

The most miserable expats here are the ones who seem to have no interests. The happiest have at least 3 interests, perhaps 1 sporting and 2 intellectual. And often a full time job on top of that. Too much time on your hands is a big problem. Highest points on the misery index always go to the alcoholics and the old sex-pats. Those two groups just seem to be caught in a nightmare cycle of despair.

What a load of rubbish. Im retired at 47 have loads of time of my hands and love life and the people and the family around me. I have my 8 dogs and studio and drum room as interests and met my thai wife in the UK so can hardly be described as a sexpat as you put it. I have a standard of living I could only dream of back in the UK. If anyone is bitter it sounds like yourself. I dont need the money to work so choose to live me life as I wish. Now I know your comments were not directed at me but your generalisation is way off the mark. I know of many expats like me who love it here. Im not in denial nor do I walk around with blinkers on. Is it perfect? No such thing as perfect but compared to living in the UK? No contest. Thailand wins hands down.

Half full when I am on the beach, or sitting on the balcony enjoying a cold one in the warmth of Thailand.

Half empty when I have to go to immigration or a BS restaurant in Kamala tries to charge me 60 baht for a kai dow that went with my food.

Half full most of the time though. Need to be grateful for what we have. Could be some poor bastard living in Iraq under ISIS or something....

What a load of rubbish. Im retired at 47 have loads of time of my hands and love life and the people and the family around me. I have my 8 dogs and studio and drum room as interests and met my thai wife in the UK so can hardly be described as a sexpat as you put it. I have a standard of living I could only dream of back in the UK. If anyone is bitter it sounds like yourself. I dont need the money to work so choose to live me life as I wish. Now I know your comments were not directed at me but your generalisation is way off the mark. I know of many expats like me who love it here. Im not in denial nor do I walk around with blinkers on. Is it perfect? No such thing as perfect but compared to living in the UK? No contest. Thailand wins hands down.

I think Jeremy50's theory is the happiest expats have at least 3 interests. Bim you have your family, 8 dogs, a studio and your drum kit, 4 interests and you are happy. Seems you have proven jeremy50's theory to be correct.

I think Jeremy50's theory is the happiest expats have at least 3 interests. Bim you have your family, 8 dogs, a studio and your drum kit, 4 interests and you are happy. Seems you have proven jeremy50's theory to be correct.

I guess so. Actually its 5. Forgot to mention my beautiful wife. Oooopppps.. There all equal in my eyes X

Archived