Expatitis in Thailand, Is Your Glass Half Empty or Half Full?

george

Easy one!

Go to 'Manage Ignore Prefs'

Add name of whinging stupid idiot half-empty TV member's name

Click Ignore - Posts, Signatures, Messages

Save changes. Problem Solved !!!

Next ? coffee1.gif

Thanks for the info. Noitom is first on my list.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I find the 'head in the sand' brigade more annoying than the whiners. There is nothing wrong in seeing a place for what it is, to walk around with blinkers on makes people appear none too clever and somewhat in denial. The author of the article sounds like a bitter person himself, and etiquette is a word usually associated with politeness, so completely misused in the context that he chose for it.

The most miserable expats here are the ones who seem to have no interests. The happiest have at least 3 interests, perhaps 1 sporting and 2 intellectual. And often a full time job on top of that. Too much time on your hands is a big problem. Highest points on the misery index always go to the alcoholics and the old sex-pats. Those two groups just seem to be caught in a nightmare cycle of despair.

What a load of rubbish. Im retired at 47 have loads of time of my hands and love life and the people and the family around me. I have my 8 dogs and studio and drum room as interests and met my thai wife in the UK so can hardly be described as a sexpat as you put it. I have a standard of living I could only dream of back in the UK. If anyone is bitter it sounds like yourself. I dont need the money to work so choose to live me life as I wish. Now I know your comments were not directed at me but your generalisation is way off the mark. I know of many expats like me who love it here. Im not in denial nor do I walk around with blinkers on. Is it perfect? No such thing as perfect but compared to living in the UK? No contest. Thailand wins hands down.

I am soooo glad that you are not my neighbour with that drum kit. I have a 10 year old old son who plays the "drums" badly on anything that will make a drumming noise, a 7 year old neighbours daughter who plays a 3 string guitar just as bad and the 9 year old daughter who sings even worse than I do.

My son politely asks if I have a headache yet and promptly bashes louder.

On the other hand they are 3 children who are growing up and being allowed to be children. There are times that I wish that they would go and play in the traffic but not that often.

Many thanks to the inventor of Tylenol.

My glass is mostly more than half full and I can always get a bigger glass if needs be.

Personally, I find the 'head in the sand' brigade more annoying than the whiners. There is nothing wrong in seeing a place for what it is, to walk around with blinkers on makes people appear none too clever and somewhat in denial. The author of the article sounds like a bitter person himself, and etiquette is a word usually associated with politeness, so completely misused in the context that he chose for it.

The most miserable expats here are the ones who seem to have no interests. The happiest have at least 3 interests, perhaps 1 sporting and 2 intellectual. And often a full time job on top of that. Too much time on your hands is a big problem. Highest points on the misery index always go to the alcoholics and the old sex-pats. Those two groups just seem to be caught in a nightmare cycle of despair.

What a load of rubbish. Im retired at 47 have loads of time of my hands and love life and the people and the family around me. I have my 8 dogs and studio and drum room as interests and met my thai wife in the UK so can hardly be described as a sexpat as you put it. I have a standard of living I could only dream of back in the UK. If anyone is bitter it sounds like yourself. I dont need the money to work so choose to live me life as I wish. Now I know your comments were not directed at me but your generalisation is way off the mark. I know of many expats like me who love it here. Im not in denial nor do I walk around with blinkers on. Is it perfect? No such thing as perfect but compared to living in the UK? No contest. Thailand wins hands down.

I am soooo glad that you are not my neighbour with that drum kit. I have a 10 year old old son who plays the "drums" badly on anything that will make a drumming noise, a 7 year old neighbours daughter who plays a 3 string guitar just as bad and the 9 year old daughter who sings even worse than I do.

On the other hand they are 3 children who are growing up and being allowed to be children. There are times that I wish that they would go and play in the traffic but not that often.

My glass is mostly more than half full and I can always get a bigger glass if needs be.

My neighbour came round at 3AM to ask me to stop playing. Cheek of it ..... 3AM. She woke the dogs up. Just kidding. Bill your welcome round anytime for a bash on the kit.

Easy one!

Go to 'Manage Ignore Prefs'

Add name of whinging stupid idiot half-empty TV member's name

Click Ignore - Posts, Signatures, Messages

Save changes. Problem Solved !!!

Next ? coffee1.gif

That would leave just the OP without any comments!whistling.gif

My neighbour came round at 3AM to ask me to stop playing. Cheek of it ..... 3AM. She woke the dogs up. Just kidding. Bill your welcome round anytime for a bash on the kit.

Okay. See you soon, me, my motorbike and my 14lb sledgehammer. I could have a real bash on your kit with that.

I will be down at NS immigration next month for another 90 day report, See you there and then?

Okay. See you soon, me, my motorbike and my 14lb sledgehammer. I could have a real bash on your kit with that.

I will be down at NS immigration next month for another 90 day report, See you there and then?

Yes mate due around the same time. PM me. Minus your sledgehammer I hope

I discovered mai pen rai when I moved to Thailand and it has done wonders for my outlook on life and my blood pressure.

I wake up every morning knowing I did the right thing when I moved to Thailand.

I came here thinking it was a country full of dangerous roads, scammers and hookers. I wasn't expecting the military Junta. But apart from that, no surprises. I tell a lie, only one surprise, the litter and debris scattered everywhere, beauty spots, temples, roads, beaches, sea ...... it's everywhere.

I share your feelings about the litter and just plain dirty sidewalks, streets and parks. I have been here 11 years and have a very clean and nice Thai wife.

To me it shows a lack of self discipline and respect for their own Country, and no body seems to want to change them !!

As bad as Thailand is about litter and trash, try India, Indonesia or Morocco.

You would have a point if many on TV offered anything constructive to say but many dont. They outline the problem rarely offering a solution.

If you provide solutions or not doesn't even matter, you aren't going to get anywhere posting a solution on TV to improve the country. Unless of course you try to indicate that thai politicians are reading the forums and would pick up some of the good/better solutions....but, let's just pick the road mayham, as nothing is changing, despite alot of suggestions and solutions, nothing is changing...so you play right into their hands towards the "I told you so" mentality.

Of course you could just play the "you got no solutions, biatch about it and couldn't make it any better" card...to which we can just face value say...yes, can't do anything about it regardless, because not in the position of even attempt a change.

Whatever the content of the glass is also doesn't matter.

Most of us would agree that a swift and good execution of traffic, construction, education and work ethnics are desperately needed (not to refer to any kind of priority or a complete list for that matter) and specially traffic can be tackled hard right off the bat, as that is one of the "easier" ones. However, that already collides with work ethnics and police just don't care...for we can all see dozens of people running red lights (regardless of just turned red or been red for over 5s already but "it's still my turn by my own perception") day and night, be it infront of police or not...it just doesn't matter as there is next to no repercussion to the offense and no enforcement (read as "aside from the occasional stories we should hear alot more about", because I'm not going to let you have the "this one time I was speeding and got a ticket, so laws are being enforced"). Of course getting on the road is a risk in any country, any machine not handled properly (specially with that amount of power) is a potential weapon. A risk yes, but here it's closer to gambling with your life (again read as "you can't be too ignorant to not be aware of that hazard", not as "I've had no accident in n-years"). Yet the main target for enforcement seems to be scooters, or rather the one without helmets...and then it's just a slap on the wrist.

So much for wanting to keep it short, it doesn't take much to derail for these situations.

So complaining about issues that shouldn't be any (or not anymore to that degree at least), seems pretty valid to me. However, if one thinks that's all one can see and focus on, all the misery to said one for seemingly wanting to bath is it. I could make another wall of text about the "good vs bad" perception and how daily happiness is drowned in the mundane, making your bad/anger experiences stand out that much more when they occur...but there is the internet for that already.

As far as my glass goes...I can't tell. Sometimes it's overflowing because it's sweating, other times it's empty because of evaporation. This heat needs to stop sad.png

Be realistic. Always keep in mind that there might be a situation that you have to go back to your home country. Thailand is great but I still have many things to go back for as well. Living in another country is not the same as being on holiday. Make sure your finances are healthy, so plan your monthly budget and make sure that your job pays sufficient to meet your life style of choice. If you live in a village maybe 70K will do. If you want to live in Bangkok CBD an expat life style you need much more than that. Take also care of your health, it's your greatest wealth. So basically, live a normal and responsible life and enoy all the good things the country has to offer.

Yes mate due around the same time. PM me. Minus your sledgehammer I hope

Mine is due 21st April, the week after Songkran on a Tuesday.

Claptrap, some people call a spade a spade and dont tart it up or pretend it doesnt exist and everything is "wonderful"

I mean ..........".Most of the problems people have experienced in Thailand came from expats – not Thais."

Seeing as the majority of people I come into contact with are Thais this is one example of claptrap, just on numbers alone its way more likely a Thai will give me a problem than an expat

It's easy to form negative impressions of Thais in general. The easiest thing to dislike about them is that they don't live in an authentic experience with others. They are generally deceitful in all aspects of their relationships. To the outsider, this is not understandable. The foreigner or expat also has a negative view of Thais for their lack of responsibility and commitment. They reneg on business deals and personal promises. They manipulate the facts to suit their self absorbed interests. Thais don't read, they are not interested in classical art, music or world history.

Thais generally have little or no awareness of western culture. They live in a total state of denial about their society and its reality. They have little or no intellectual curiosity or passion about much. They have little work ethic and their sense of value is most limited to material things and money. Just look at the way Thais splay out money at any event. Random acts of truthfulness and honesty are big news in the Thai press. Thais love secrecy, exclusion, and opaqueness in society, business, and life in general. Thais rarely if ever take responsibility and never say I'm sorry, I made a mistake. When expats get together, it's easy to complain about Thais because something has always just happened that has them shaking their heads about Thais. Expats who don't complain about Thais are living in the same false reality and unauthentic life experience. Expats who never complain about Thais or Thailand are being deceitful to themselves or they've become Thai thinking in a land where Thais will never accept them for who they really are.

I don't interact much with people around me.

Doesn't matter what country they happen to be from.

Why would I complain about people I don't care about?

Don't care about their government much either, not my business.

Cost of stuff going up, it's gone up loads in the UK, in the last five years, here not so much, don't care.

I keep seeing people posting prices have skyrocketed in Thailand, don't see it myself.

Petrol is cheaper, grapow gai and rice is still 30bht. Rent is the same, gas and cooking oil more.

Went out for beer and dinner last night, 3 large Chang and a bucket if ice for 159bht. Big fried fish 150bht.

Live music and pretty girls to look at free. Night out total 5GBP each, I don't remember it being much cheaper 5 years ago.

Now the weather, I could complain about that most days in the UK.

Here it's hot & dry, and sometimes hot & wet. I like hot, that's why I'm here!

My glass was completely full yesterday with Balvenie single malt Whisky as well as my expat friends glasses and we had a brilliant day and even though most are teachers and usually pretty hard up but everyone is very happy with their lot in Thailand I dont think any of the conversation all day & evening involved slagging of the Thais or the Thai culture in general only one getting slagged of was the Italian landlord of our little bar for his excessive cost for a Leo and his reply was to start charging for a bucket of ice because he makes so little money on a Leo, I think most happy expats are married to good Thai woman so no need to slag off or degrade anyone, its always happy days in Thailand. As long as you are smart enough to stay away from all the shady type of people you meet in Thailand foreign and or Thai, and everyone knows who a genuine friend is or just a fair weather friend.

I came here thinking it was a country full of dangerous roads, scammers and hookers. I wasn't expecting the military Junta. But apart from that, no surprises. I tell a lie, only one surprise, the litter and debris scattered everywhere, beauty spots, temples, roads, beaches, sea ...... it's everywhere.

Are you saying you don't think THailand is clean or free from litter?

" I tell a lie, only one surprise, the litter and debris scattered everywhere, beauty spots, temples, roads, beaches, sea ...... it's everywhere."

Not sure about encountering the folks that want Thailand to be corrupt or go to the bad or whatever but I do remember meeting a group of retired expats (mainly American but some others too) in a certain part of a city in Thailand (not Bangkok) who were all living with Thai ladies who did not stray or steal from them, who all had at least a car of some sort and a house - basically they were all living at a standard that they could never afford in their home countries. Despite their nice and stable lives, they spent most of their time in a state of permanent irritation, whining about the least thing.

A good part of their problem was that they had all day to do nothing and to allow problems to fester. Most did not learn much Thai and knew almost nothing about Thailand. Most were bitter about aspects of their past lives, mainly marriages that had gone wrong. None had moved on enough to enjoy the present. Their chief entertainment, apart from drinking and whining, seemed to be to goad their Thai wives, show them up as stupid or whatever.

I don't live in Thailand although i have spent a lot of time there and continue to do so. But these guys frightened me off retiring there - in fact they frightened me off retirement altogether!

Learning to accept that you cannot change the social evils in Thailand, having some sort of activity that gives you a bit of exercise and interest and a bit ofo joy into your life, learn Thai as best you can, doing something that gives you some meaning in your life (whether that is volunteering or doing something to help others), leaving all your bitterness of your previous life behind, get in with the right set of friends and either picking the right women to be your partner/wife or going it alone - none of this is easy but then anything that is worthwhile is seldom easy.

I sometimes think "do I moan to much".well u probably say "yes" but then I have to listen to my Wife and believe me should would be banned from TV after the first few hours with her rants on her fellow Thais ,although she can do a pretty good second place with her Franag rants also..........she is in contact with them daily as part of her job.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Having many Thai friends ,living in a small village, with expats, I hear only complaints of " its hot ! dam hot " Coming here with a plan in mind , setting myself up with my Thai wife and daughters, has been an easier struggle than anywhere else I have been in the world , love Thailand , love its people , with all its faults , i try to make little differences where i can to help eliminate any perceived ideas on expats by Thais, I give an example =

I was invited to a wedding last week , and helped out by washing glasses, picking up used cutlery , clearing tables , helping fold away the tent and tables chairs etc,

the locals where very happy to see a Farang helping out , to see that i was prepared to pitch in like them , Accepted as an equal, GET OUT WHAT YOU PUT IN ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD,

sounds like you just arrived...if so enjoy the honeymoon...LOL

In 2013 I came here to retire and live after visiting each year since 1993.

What I have discovered is that my life here is as full and happy as I make it. I am not interested in those that are bitter, unhappy and negative.

There are more wonderful people in this world than not and all I have to do is open my eyes and heart.

Happy, Joyous and Free.

Live and Let Live.

This is all well and good but some of us here encounter situations that make one despair. I am heavily involved with cycle-sport here. I am a coach trainer, in a personal voluntary and free capacity, to Thai kids. I have spent five years trying to help them progress in this sport as much as I can. This year the Thai Cycling Association has defied their undertaking to the Union Cycliste Internationale and to the Olympic movement by introducing higher fees to 'farangs' for their UCI cycle racing/coaching licence. Under UCI rules the country in which you live MUST provide you with this licence. However this year the TCA want to charge 'farangs' 5 x more than Thais. This is against Article 3 of the UCI as well as the Olympic Charter's articles on equality. They also want proof of residence (fair enough) except when that proof is provided they still will not issue the licence. Why? The Thais are fed up of the foreign riders here some of whom (not me) are stronger than the Thais. Thus when UCI ranking points are on offer, the Thais don't get them all. Their answer a) doctor the results so that no foreigner appears on the official results that the UCI receives (easily checked as the podium pics and the official results don't match) and cool.png deny them a race licence. When I see this unsporting practice and the extent to which the Thais go to cheat and lie their way through my beloved sport, I just want to call it a day. If anyone tries to speak to the Police General who is the TCA's head honcho, then he just cuts the call. My Thai wife is also appalled at how Thai society (in her view) has deteriorated and people, she says, are more dishonest than ever, more greedy than ever and so on. Our house is for sale. When someone buys it, we'll go. Enough is enough.

I've taken up the advice in TVF and now consider myself a visitor, not an expat. It's like sitting on the beach, all you can see is the wide open horizon, just waiting for you to sail into new adventures. Until some one rides a jet ski through your daydream and you shrug and happily return to sipping your cold beer.

This is all well and good but some of us here encounter situations that make one despair. I am heavily involved with cycle-sport here. I am a coach trainer, in a personal voluntary and free capacity, to Thai kids. I have spent five years trying to help them progress in this sport as much as I can. This year the Thai Cycling Association has defied their undertaking to the Union Cycliste Internationale and to the Olympic movement by introducing higher fees to 'farangs' for their UCI cycle racing/coaching licence. Under UCI rules the country in which you live MUST provide you with this licence. However this year the TCA want to charge 'farangs' 5 x more than Thais. This is against Article 3 of the UCI as well as the Olympic Charter's articles on equality. They also want proof of residence (fair enough) except when that proof is provided they still will not issue the licence. Why? The Thais are fed up of the foreign riders here some of whom (not me) are stronger than the Thais. Thus when UCI ranking points are on offer, the Thais don't get them all. Their answer a) doctor the results so that no foreigner appears on the official results that the UCI receives (easily checked as the podium pics and the official results don't match) and cool.png deny them a race licence. When I see this unsporting practice and the extent to which the Thais go to cheat and lie their way through my beloved sport, I just want to call it a day. If anyone tries to speak to the Police General who is the TCA's head honcho, then he just cuts the call. My Thai wife is also appalled at how Thai society (in her view) has deteriorated and people, she says, are more dishonest than ever, more greedy than ever and so on. Our house is for sale. When someone buys it, we'll go. Enough is enough.

You don't have a work permit, they don't want you doing it.

I think it's their right to choose who they want training and interacting with their youngsters.

(Do you have the police check required to work with youngsters in western countries?)

Not sure why you think you have the right to do this sort of stuff in a foreign country.

You aren't allowed to own a house in Thailand either "our house" sounds a bit like proxy ownership.

My motto, don't burn the bridges behind you,

i travel with many house keys, and always

pay my taxes in whatever country i happen

to be living in at the time, if i need to move

then i do it. I really worry about getting old

and who will take care of me, and then i

think of these words that i hear in my head

over and over, cheat, lie, steal, irresponsible,

stupid, backward, lazy and corrupt.

Losing my Australian citizenship is the scariest

thought in the world,, why should i leave this

country when so many are waiting to take

my place. I will and often go back to where

i came from.

8 dogs? and a ''drum'' studio? your neighbors must love you and all your consideration.

Archived