Timber Tree Farming In The South

sbk

Its all about the Theptharo tree, cinnamomum porrectum. It discusses its uses (the Chinese temples use it alot, it is also popular for scent for soaps). And then it goes on to discuss a few other timber trees that grow well in the South: Hopea odorata, Michelia champaca, Swietenia mahogani (mahogany), Azadirchta excelsa and Shorea obtusa. Stating that all of these trees can be used in wood carving, house construction and furniture building.

It then goes on to say:

All of the above trees perform well in the South, according to Anothai Kaewprasert, foresty officer at the Royal Forest Depts propagation adn extension station in Thapkasatri in Phuket's thalang district. The station gives away tree saplings for reforestation purposes.

K Anothai told the author he hadn't started any seedlins of the theptharo tree this year but if you specify the kind of tree you want the foresty officers may be able to sow seeds in time for transplant at the start of the rainy season next year. K Anothai can be reached at 06-274-8968

It lists a couple of very interesting books for the prospective timber farmer: Timber Trees: Minor Commercial Timbers by Plant Resources of SE Asia and A Dictionary of the Economic Products of the Malay Peninsula.

I looked but that don't seem to have the sunday section in the archives in the Bangkok Post :o Any suggestions on how to find it?

I am far too lazy to type the whole darn thing, hence the brief recap above. However, if there is something that you want to know, just ask and I will check the article to see if there is anything in there.