Farming Links And Resources

General

Downloadable farming guides An excelent site with guides for nearly everything you can think of related to 3rd world farming, fish, crops, fertiliser and technology looks like they are using FAO publications but all listed and much easier to find, highly recomended. Donated by Chris.B (2/10/2006)

Food and Agriculture Organization Of the United Nations Huge document repositary

Ministry of Agriculture and Co-operativesaddresses and websites of Thai Gov organisations

Livestock industry in thailandFAO

Department of Livestock Development-english DLD Gov department

DLD downloads An excelent resource to download booklets on a various farming subjects, all in thai. Supplied by Junglebiker (23/9/06)

Veterinary Information and Education Network VIEN supplied by JungleBiker

Office of Agricultural Economics Thai Gov statistical data (11/9/06)

Dairy

Feeding Dairy cows in the tropics An FAO publication good

MILK & DAIRY PRODUCTSINFORMATION RESOURCES Link page to various dairy publications from the FAO

Small-Scale Dairy Farming Manual FAO, Excelent basic guide, good information lots relevent for beef as well (8/9/2006)

Manual of smallholder milk production in the South Pacific FAO, South Pacific but still relevent to the tropic's (8/9/2006)

Medical

Ivomec Ivomec website, medical supplies

Intravet-asia Intravet, medical supplies

FAO- Ticks and Tick born Diseases

GISS Marketing Vet Suppiles in BKK

Merck Veterinary Manual Excelent online Veterinary manual

Forage and Feed

My World Fertilizer Use Manual All about feritiliser downloadable PFD files on the fertiliser requirments for various crops. Supplied by Teletiger (23/09/06)

Animal Feed ResorcesExcelent resorce form FAO, facts and figures about differnt feed resorces

Food and Fertiliser Thecnology Center Asia specific

FAO-Forage Crops in Irrigated Lowland RiceFAO

DLD-forage development

Tropical Forages

Austrailian Univirsity Forage and feed site

FAO-grassland index

Fish

Network of Aquaculture Centres in Asia-Pacific A really good general fissh resourse, with downloadable guides

Teak

FAO- Teak FAO- good article about teak production in Thailand

Mushrooms

Mush-world-ThailandMushroom site

Buffalo

Water Buffalo Homepage Buffalo stuff, supplied by JunglBiker

Pepper

General Pepper Info

I'm going to keep this locked. So if you want to add any just PM me the links, I can keep some sort of order on it then, I'll pull any good ones from some of the threads as well. We are a bit weak in some fields but hopefully it will fill out as we go along.

Started putting the dates when added to help keep track

RC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rice Briefing Room from the USDA Economic Research Service

Yearbook has over 100 pages with stats and discussion of global and US rice markets. Data series going back many years has pricing for various grades of Thai rice, global supply/demand, and ending inventories.

Other Briefing Rooms on a variety of ag related issues and other key food crops.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/briefing/rice/index.htm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

jandtaa's farming related documents

A growing collection of PDF files can be viewed here (to download ; click on the "more" button and then the save document option )

There's a strong bias towards organics/permaculture/agroforestry although the documents cover many other aspects of farming in the tropics including:

growing tropical fruit

solonaceous crops

aquaculture

livestock rearing (pigs,chickens,goats,ducks etc)

mushroom cultivation and more

Happy reading folks :o  Jandtaa

• 2 months later...

Regards.

Paying a little back for the inputs and advice I've got on "where do you sell it?" thread.

www.msds.com

Gives safety materials data sheet for over 3,5 million different chemicals in use.

The first five or ten MSDS you download are for free. The rest is a one time fee.

Should be of help to anybody that runs a farm and most probably will come in touch with chemicals

Regards

• 5 months later...

High there,

Thanx for the links, some are great! Anyone else like to post his favorite website list? I'm actually trying to collect them.

I found a plantsearcher that actually live searches such a collection of good sites. Just it doesn't mention such a list. Also I can't give you the link, because this forum doesn't allow me :)

Anyway most lists on the internet have outdated websites.

Anyone?

Gino

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I was sad to discover the page http://thai-farm.com is down. I ripped the entire site from waybackmachine. But of course the contact form will not work anymore. Was looking forward to contacting/visting these people when I get to LOS later this year.

If anyone (or the owner themselves) know how to contact I'd appriciate a headsup.

post-165356-0-44984700-1373305241_thumb.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone found a source in Thailand for good metal or plastic leaf rakes? The only one's I've located are crude welded metal ones that are too small to work with efficiently and too heavy. It seems a shame to have to import them from China or the USA.

Hello All, first it helps to give some info on where you are, I think most on this forum

don't live in BKK.

I've been happy with this rake I got at DoHome here in Korat, they have another store

with a different name in Ubon.

It's well put together and is still going after a year. I've looked for another there, but

they haven't had them, same with Home Pro, may not have for another year.

rice555

post-37242-0-83015200-1390835340_thumb.j

post-37242-0-20550200-1390835379_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

Hello All, for those looking for solar pumps and things, try:file: www.abotrading.co.th

If the link doesn't work, google the co. #2 on the list, they were at Hortiasia 2014 thai

I posted on the ag fairs/show in the pinned thread.

rice555

post-37242-0-31392100-1402387236_thumb.p

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

seeds for hot pepper? aiming for Mexican types: jalapeno, habanero, ancho, etc.

Known-you seeds have some on their main website, but not on the Thai version. I might contact them.

Other companies I could not find.

You have to rely on foreign imports.

• 2 years later...

Anywhere in Prachinburi that I can purchase the small snakehead species of fish. I think these may be known as jungle snakehead or forest snakehead fish . If not can any one suggest how to raise the common snakehead that is found here. They are in my pond but always flee during the wet season. And they are so small that you would not eat them. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2018 at 7:29 AM, Prissana Pescud said:

Anywhere in Prachinburi that I can purchase the small snakehead species of fish. I think these may be known as jungle snakehead or forest snakehead fish . If not can any one suggest how to raise the common snakehead that is found here. They are in my pond but always flee during the wet season. And they are so small that you would not eat them. 

Best bet might be to secure local info and contacts. 

Much more helpful than inquiring within this venue, especially as to the particular and very local matter. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/29/2015 at 9:08 AM, boomerangutang said:

seeds for hot pepper? aiming for Mexican types: jalapeno, habanero, ancho, etc.

I know my reply is a little late, but I've bought lots of seeds, including peppers, from these guys in the UK 

https://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/vegetable_seeds/pepper_seeds

I've been satisfied with most of their seeds. They ship internationally and if you spend more than GBP 60, there's no postage fee. Buy 2 packets of any seed and they'll include a complimentary third pack. They sell bulk/commercial sizes also. 

Worth a try. 

Archived