Beaches in low season

wellred

I've decided to spend a week or so in Phuket in August. I'm aware that AuguSt is rainy season although I have also seen plenty of YouTube videos where it looks like some good weather made it through.

Are there any beaches that are won't be as rough in low season due to their position on the island in relation to the direction of the monsoon winds? E.g I read that Tri Trang doesn't get that bad in August due to the way it's positioned. How about the east side of the island? Are those beaches somewhat more shielded?

I'll probably do a few days in Koh Samui too as I know the weather there will be better.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are plenty of nice weather periods during the SW monsoon but the sea state will remain rough throughout for swimming. Perhaps Freedom beach on Phuket would be OK and there are a few East-facing beaches on Ko Yao Noi. The SE coast from Hua Hin south will have better sea conditions.

The weather at the Andaman coast in July/August is potluck. The most usual pattern is sunny mornings and overcast afternoons, some rain later in the day. But there are also dry spells that can last days or even weeks. At the other hand, you might get days when it starts raining over and over again the whole day.

July/August there are many tourists in Khao Lak who booked incredibly cheap package deals, who are staying in one of the upmarket hotels. During rainy days, I see them walking down the street when it has stopped raining for a bit, they are carrying umbrellas that belong to the hotel, looking at the color of the umbrella I know in which hotel they are staying. Driving by, I sometimes have to repress the urge to roll down the car window, and shout at them: "And, are you enjoying your cheap package deal?".

I don't swim the west coast at all during the monsoon season. Not because of the dangerous rips but for all the pollution that's wash out from all the klongs and drains that built up through the dry season. Go check out the klong next to Centara grand on Karon beach,Kata beach behind club med and the south end of Patong. The black stench is building up just waiting for a, downpour to release it into the beach. All beaches have them.

A friend of mine had some shocking ear infections that took 3 months to get under control due to the filth in the sea.

I don't swim the west coast at all during the monsoon season. Not because of the dangerous rips but for all the pollution that's wash out from all the klongs and drains that built up through the dry season. Go check out the klong next to Centara grand on Karon beach,Kata beach behind club med and the south end of Patong. The black stench is building up just waiting for a, downpour to release it into the beach. All beaches have them.

A friend of mine had some shocking ear infections that took 3 months to get under control due to the filth in the sea.

I imagine that is why the beach bacterial counts remain a state secret.

I'm not really a swimmer but will usually get in around chest high to cool off. Looks like I'll have to find some other activities to keep me busy if it's starts raining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add lots of flotsam, both natural and man-made, from the Bay of Bengal and the beaches look dirty.

Nai Yang beach (near the shops/restaurants, not in the national park) is usually a safe area to swim in monsoon season, due to the rocks offshore that break the large waves etc. (I'm no expert on this, but have never heard of any problems at this beach in low season.)

Don't swim when the red flags are showing. If no flags look for the rip currents and figure which way they are going. If you are not a strong swimmer don't get in the water without a flotation device, swim board or surfboard. We lose many tourists to drowning during the rainy season because they ignore the warning sighs, flags and even verbal warnings from lifeguards. I once watched a man and his small son hang their towels on the red warning sign and enter the water. Five minutes later they both had to be rescued. Don't leave your brains at home. That said there are days that are mild and sunny with moderate wave action and no rips. Any beach on the lee side of the monsoon could be just fine. Friendship beach just south of Chalong is shallow and protected. East side of Racha island is good for swimming and snorkeling. Have fun.

• Like 1

Opposite;

i try and swim at Kamala Beach at least 5 days a week,

off season = WAVES!!!!thumbsup.gifclap2.gif

Edited by phuketrichard

Why go to the most expensive nonsense in Thailand? Other areas are much better. Phuket is the biggest rip off in Thailand. Welcome to the club.

Why, maybe the OP wants some serious nightlife besides beaches. Not so many options in that case, just Pattaya, Phuket, Hua Hin, Koh Samui, Ao Nang.

Which areas are "better" depends on a persons individual priorities.

• Like 1