What Licenses, Insurance do I need to ride my Thai Reg Motorcycle into Cambodia?

zyphodb

As far as the license, a Thai license is valid in Cambodia per ASEAN agreement. No IDP necessary as that agreement is separate from the convention that established IDP's.

Of course that doesn't mean a Cambodian wouldn't hassle you about it and that also assumes you have a motorcycle license, not just a car license.

• Like 1

I went to a motorcycle shop in Phnom Penh asking about a m/c license in Cambodia. I was told that they could get me one in a couple of days, so you might try that before you go.

Star, there is a bridge in Brooklyn, not too far from where I was born. I can get you a great deal and you can put up a toll.

lucky lucky on Monivong in PP will get u a 1 year license for about $45 if you hold a current license somewhere.

I read elsewhere (tripadvisor probably) that you needed to be on an Ordinary Visa and provide proof of residence.

Is that a variable?

FWIW, I have never got away with my Thai DL in about 6 years.

Neither have I got away with my UK DL without an IDP.

I have got away with my UK DL along with an IDP several times - Cambodia is signed up to the 1949 Convention (whether the BiB know it or not).

Once, having accepted that I was licenced, they still asked for $2 anyway.

I have seen it in print that Thai DLs should be OK, but I don't think anyone told Cambodia BiB about that.

For those with a Thai DL, what ought to work is to get an IDP (500 Baht) to go with that (available Pattaya and Chonburi).

• Like 1

Thanks folks, the Thai IDP sounds good mickba... So does anyone know anything about getting insurance here in Thailand that covers you in Cambodia? or do you have to just take a chance, ride on in & find some in Cambodia?

your license is NOT accepted in Cambodia regardless what is written

ur insurance IS NOT valid

If your stopped u will pay $1-5

if ur in an accident ur screwed.

If you're saying it's officially not accepted, then the Cambodian Govt. doesn't agree with you. When Cambodia joined ASEAN they agreed to the 1985 agreement regarding accepting the license of the other ASEAN countries.

http://cil.nus.edu.sg/1999/1999-protocol-for-the-accession-of-the-kingdom-of-cambodia-to-asean-agreements/

If a cop is crooked, being right may not help, but you could always print the page the link goes to and carry it with you. If you come across as knowing what you're talking about it might help.

Worst case is a small bribe but at least you know you're legal.

As far as the license, a Thai license is valid in Cambodia per ASEAN agreement. No IDP necessary as that agreement is separate from the convention that established IDP's.

Of course that doesn't mean a Cambodian wouldn't hassle you about it and that also assumes you have a motorcycle license, not just a car license.

A Thai licence holder can now exchange it for a licence that covers you in 10 Asian countries, so I read recently. I keep meaning to go and exchange mine.

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

If you're saying it's officially not accepted, then the Cambodian Govt. doesn't agree with you. When Cambodia joined ASEAN they agreed to the 1985 agreement regarding accepting the license of the other ASEAN countries.

http://cil.nus.edu.sg/1999/1999-protocol-for-the-accession-of-the-kingdom-of-cambodia-to-asean-agreements/

If a cop is crooked, being right may not help, but you could always print the page the link goes to and carry it with you. If you come across as knowing what you're talking about it might help.

ITs Cambodia and i am talking from experience an meeting police in Cambodia

i often drive my thai car into Cambodia

Yes, u need a business visa to get a Cambodia license,. that means u pay $35 for your visa vs $30

You can also get an IDP in Phuket if ur on a 5 year license

Its very easy to take ur car or bike in, but it will not be insured ( only at Koh Kong- East of Trat or Osmach border- South of Surin)

They wont insure a thai vehicle in Cambodia so drive carefully

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You might be able to arrange insurance inside Cambodia, but NOT at the border crossings as it's not yet available. But no one who has driven in Cambodia has yet stated they've even tried to purchase insurance in say Phnom Penh. Why not?

lucky lucky on Monivong in PP will get u a 1 year license for about $45 if you hold a current license somewhere.

I read elsewhere (tripadvisor probably) that you needed to be on an Ordinary Visa and provide proof of residence.

Is that a variable?

FWIW, I have never got away with my Thai DL in about 6 years.

Neither have I got away with my UK DL without an IDP.

I have got away with my UK DL along with an IDP several times - Cambodia is signed up to the 1949 Convention (whether the BiB know it or not).

Once, having accepted that I was licenced, they still asked for $2 anyway.

I have seen it in print that Thai DLs should be OK, but I don't think anyone told Cambodia BiB about that.

For those with a Thai DL, what ought to work is to get an IDP (500 Baht) to go with that (available Pattaya and Chonburi).

Nope, any visa is fine.

ITs Cambodia and i am talking from experience an meeting police in Cambodia

i often drive my thai car into Cambodia

Yes, u need a business visa to get a Cambodia license,. that means u pay $35 for your visa vs $30

You can also get an IDP in Phuket if ur on a 5 year license

Its very easy to take ur car or bike in, but it will not be insured ( only at Koh Kong- East of Trat or Osmach border- South of Surin)

They wont insure a thai vehicle in Cambodia so drive carefully

I've never had a problem renewing my Cambodian licence (or even getting the initial one) on a normal tourist visa. As long as you pay for the service they are providing, they don't seem to care. A business visa might still be best, but as I've said, I've never had any problems. In more recent times I've generally held a business visa anyway, but even when I didn't it didn't make a difference.

The Ban Pakkard border also allows Thai cars in BUT they aren't supposed to leave the border province of Pailin. Then again, even if you enter at Koh Kong you aren't supposed to leave the province, although Koh Kong is big, so Sre Ambel, 150km from the border is still in Koh Kong in case you wanted to drive there. Beyond that, technically you're not supposed to go in a Thai car and on recent trips, I've noticed the vast majority of Thai cars restrict themselves from driving further than that as one only very rarely sees Thai cars in say Phnom Penh.