Can you use Thai Baht in Cambodia?

zyphodb

Hello,

10 years going to laos, never used kip, only thb.

Do you think it's possible to get hundreds dollars in $1 notes in Thailand ? where ?

Thanks.

US currency required once you leave the border.

I had no problem using Thai Baht in Cambodia, but they would not accept it in Laos.

Sorry ? Do you mean that you can withdraw usd at ATMs in Cambodia ?

I forgot to say you can also use Thai atm card to withdraw, you can choose between usd and local currency.

You can only withdraw USD from ATMs in Cambodia. Riel would be way too fiddly. Most of the country works in USD notes with Riel as small change. There will be somebody along to deny this shortly and talk endlessly about how Riel is the only thing that works in small villages, etc. and it's not true... I lived in Cambodia for 4 years; I traveled to pretty much every corner of the country and used USD nearly exclusively apart from when I had so much RIel accumulated as change that it needed spending.

Riel is basicly used as change for amounts under $1 as there are no coins here. Also used interchangeably with dollars for very small cost transactions like in the wet market. Food in local markets is usually priced in riel since it allows for small amounts to be more exact, but no problem paying in dollars and all Cambodians can compute between the two with lightening speed.

For pretty much all else it is dollars.

It is possible to withdraw in riels from at least some ATMs in Cambodia but no reason why one would want to.

Riel is basicly used as change for amounts under $1 as there are no coins here. Also used interchangeably with dollars for very small cost transactions like in the wet market. Food in local markets is usually priced in riel since it allows for small amounts to be more exact, but no problem paying in dollars and all Cambodians can compute between the two with lightening speed.

For pretty much all else it is dollars.

It is possible to withdraw in riels from at least some ATMs in Cambodia but no reason why one would want to.

Doubtful you can withdraw Riel with a foreign card. I've tried the ATMs of most banks and never once has there been a Riel option. I think Riel are only offered for local bank customers.

• 7 months later...

Archived