How safe is it flying within Myanmar

watgate

I am planning on visiting Myanmar in October with my g/f upon my return to Thailand. I am interested in a tour and the tour company's itinerary states a transfer to Bagan from Yangon in the morning. Then another transfer from Bagan to Mandalay by morning flight. Lastly, another morning flight back to Yangon where we will fly back to Thailand. My concern is how safe is air travel within Myanmar and would it be better to travel by bus to the above-mentioned destinations? Or is bus travel within Myanmar as precarious and dangerous as it is in Thailand? Any knowledgeable posters with info or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Like 1

We recently spent a week traveling around to the same places you are planning to go to. We flew on Golden Myanmar. Everything was safe, and their fares were quite good! Enjoy the people. They are friendly!

• Like 1

I've taken dozens of flights around Myanmar, never had a problem. Planes are invariably turbo-props if you are going domestic. I find the antiquated laid back airport security both amusing and refreshing, although things are beginning to tighten up.

I spent last November & December in Burma again, on a film project.

Flew from Mandalay to Putao...excellent flight in a small twin turbo.

Like others have said...there's no need to retrace your steps. Burma

is safe. The people are very friendly. The food's a bit strange but good

and both Myanmar & Dagon beer is OK by me.

Go have fun.

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 2

I did this round, like 3 times dee... love Bagan, very photogenic.. on board aircraft was a little bit loud, but I did not at anytime felt unsafe or frightened. Handling of baggage was a little bit too relaxed compared to other countries. U will love Myanmar.. :)

This time last year spent went on2 week tour of Myanmar, from Sydney.

Then stayed in Thailand

Flew to most of these places.

No problems anywhere.

Was held up with fog at Yangon airport one time.

Very nice people, but starting to realize tourists have money.

Only have perfect USD notes.

But change to some local money ASAP

Regards aussiep...have a good trip

Took a tour around Burma in January and it was a fascinating experience, worth going. Flying within the country is mostly short hops on the ubiquitous ATR-72 turbo-props. I flew with AIR KBZ and it was quite fun and as another reviewer as commented, the airport are very laid back.

I had similar concerns to you about flying and spoke with my tour company (Trailfinders) who advised me that the roads were very poor outside of the main cities, so avoid buses and the rail system was unreliable.

N.B. Another communist country that only accepts pristine US dollars.

• Like 1

Go have fun.

Thanks Sunshine.

No problems, in fact easy, unlike the Thailand BULLSHIT!---Scams.

Burma is going to be the NEW Thailand!clap2.gif

• Like 1

Go have fun.

Thanks Sunshine.

No problems, in fact easy, unlike the Thailand BULLSHIT!---Scams.

Burma is going to be the NEW Thailand!clap2.gif

Let's see how quickly that will change in Myanmar.

I have flown on numerous occasions. I am scared of flying but I am obviously still around.

Food is generally terrible unless you like your stuff swimming in oil. But the country is beautiful

Some great feedback and thank you. I used to love to plan an independent itinerary, but find as you get older, that you want to scale it back a bit and take the easy way, such as a tour, where pretty much the work of planning and arranging is already done for you. I have 2 different tour options, one as mentioned previously, flying from Thailand to Yangon and then flying to Bagan, then flying to Mandalay and then flying back to Yangon to catch a flight back to Thailand. The other tour also departs Chiang Mai to Yangon then goes to Golden Rock and then goes to Bago and finally back to Yangon to catch a flight back to Chiang Mai. In your opinion, which of these 2 tours sounds better or more interesting?

I like Mandalay;

Its NOT a tourist town or city and its Burmese middle class without the hustle of Yangon.

very enjoyable to walk around/friendly people and great to stop an have a beer on the river watching the boats activity an the sun set.

I love the sunset view from Mandalay hill and the local markets

There is a very good shan restaurant on the corner of 28th between 75 and 76th ( a couple of blocks from the RR station) Very popular although NOT in LP

The rum is better than Sang Som

Flying back up next week :-)

• Like 1

Some great feedback and thank you. I used to love to plan an independent itinerary, but find as you get older, that you want to scale it back a bit and take the easy way, such as a tour, where pretty much the work of planning and arranging is already done for you. I have 2 different tour options, one as mentioned previously, flying from Thailand to Yangon and then flying to Bagan, then flying to Mandalay and then flying back to Yangon to catch a flight back to Thailand. The other tour also departs Chiang Mai to Yangon then goes to Golden Rock and then goes to Bago and finally back to Yangon to catch a flight back to Chiang Mai. In your opinion, which of these 2 tours sounds better or more interesting?

Have never been on a tour and know i would hate having to keep to someone else's schedule

Burma is so easy to do on your own.

Do what i suggested with ur GF and u'll both love it and save tons of $$$

2 days Mandalay

boat down

2 days Bagan

overnight train down with sleeper

3 days Yagoon

fly home

some good info /advice here, http://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowForum-g294190-i9408-Myanmar.html

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

I recently flew to Mandalay, then ferry to Bagan, then flew to yangon and back to BKK. most dangerous part of flying would have been the risk of putting my foot right thru the rusty floor of the airport bus at Mandalay ...you could see thru the steps !

Mandalay is a good base for some local tours, but the town is pretty noisy and dirty. Bagan is incredible, I did a balloon flight over the temples which was great.

Don't get a bus or train for long trips, they are slow and uncomfortable.

Took a tour around Burma in January and it was a fascinating experience, worth going. Flying within the country is mostly short hops on the ubiquitous ATR-72 turbo-props. I flew with AIR KBZ and it was quite fun and as another reviewer as commented, the airport are very laid back.

I had similar concerns to you about flying and spoke with my tour company (Trailfinders) who advised me that the roads were very poor outside of the main cities, so avoid buses and the rail system was unreliable.

N.B. Another communist country that only accepts pristine US dollars.

What's communist about Myanmar?

And they accept Kyat just fine. No need for US dollars.