Arab Food

franck1972

Hi,

I often go to Soi 3/1 to have arab food, and I would like now to try to cook at home.

Do you know of any place in Bangkok where I can find the special ingredients needed for it ?

I'm talking tahini paste for mutabbal or humus for instance.

Thanks

Hummus is easy to make...takes five min. On suk soi 2 there is a small soi right near the top that has a small middle eastern market....I buy sumac and all kinds of stuff.

• 6 months later...

I work mostly in the Middle East and I've brought big jars of tahini back in my suitcase when home between assignments...but then, where do you find chick peas for the hummous?...impossible outside of BKK...then, I started to bring back cans of prepared hummous and moutabal and packets of fresh arabic bread and a kilo of lemons (to squeeze into the above as local limes - manao are not suitable) which last for a couple of weeks or until the lemons go off...

recently, I've found that there are other arab dishes for which the ingredients are easily available locally...the other day I made an eggplant (aubergine, using the local phallic green ones), tomato and fresh coriander salad (see google for recipes) which was superb...got the idea from the food served at my canteen in saudi...(tutsi to the grumpy pakistani who runs the canteen: 'can you ask the chef how he prepares the aubergines as that salad is very tasty...' the pakistani gentleman: ' you what???')

tons of recipes on the internet...check it out...

• 5 months later...

I buy the plastic lemons.....and mix fresh lime with the juice.......Maybe Im just weird Elaine.......made a killer mojo pork shoulder today the limes were great.

No...google mojo cuban pork....the one that says from the the movie....read it....its by nagi and he got the recipe from chef roy a famous food truck guy......wow.....I did mix it up a bit and inject my shoulder with a lime oj mix...all fresh squezzed. and i browned it with butter at 400 for 20 mins.

End product had my thai gf in heaven...next day some yamazaki baguettes and pickles and dijon with swiss cheese pressed grilledcheese sandwichs......2di4.......pm me if you want to swap recipe ideas...mexican..arab..pizza....im an arm chair foodie.....n

• 5 months later...

For those who love asian food, central asian cuisine there is a nice restaurant Caravan in Pattaya, here is their webiste:

www.caravan.asia, and google map: bitly.com/caravan-map. The food is authentic cantral asian food, mostly made from beef, lamb and chicken, menu also include some popular russian dishes. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for some new tastes.

IMG_7226v.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

but...the seating looks quite nice ye hafta admit...

does 'central asian cuisine' mean that they have nice yogurt? de arabs are big on nice feta...I don't much like milk and could never get off on the laban...

(tutsi ponders as he squeezes fresh lemon onto the packaged hummus...there's some  arabic bread in de freezer...at the supermarket a couple of days ago de arab man was packaging de bread and he said: 'brown bread...you like...')

Archived