Dawn raids in Koh Samui by 700 police and soldiers

webfact

Paradise lost! The island has been run by mafia and their offspring fuelled by hot money since the late 90's. Haven't been there since 2001 and no plan to return.... it's good they are making an effort to clean out the dirty laundry though. Imagine they might find a few Interpol poster boys and girls if they look hard enough.

It will take more than one effort. These things need to be hit hard the first time and harder each time until the message is clear and consequences are carried out.

Koh Samui, Surat Thani:- Over 700 policemen and troops took part in the Operation Samui Dawn early Friday following a killing of an influential businessman on the tourist-destination island.

But the massive manhunt operation on the tiny island failed to net any gunman. Only three suspects in trivial cases were netted in the operation that also used helicopters to hoist down commandoes into some compounds like in action movies.

The Operation Samui Dawn was carried out at 6 am. It was led by Central Investigation Bureau acting commissioner Pol Maj Gen Thitiraj Nongharnpitak, Surat Thani police chief Pol Maj Gen Apichart Boonsriroj and Surat Thani Army Province commander Maj Gen Kuakul Innajak.

The operation was taken part by 756 officers from the CIB, Surat Thani police head office and the Surat Thani Army province.

It was carried out after Panas Khao-uthai, a local businessman, was gunned down in the walking street fair in front of many foreign tourists on March 6.

As part of the operation, commandoes from the Crime Suppression Division surrounded the house of Wiwat Chawengchuenban, 41, in Tambon Borphud. His house was one of 26 targets of searches.

Then, commandoes were hoisted down from a helicopter to search the compound. Most people in the house were still sleeping. No illegal firearms and drug were found at the place.

At 1:30 pm, Thitiraj told a press conference that the Operation Samui Dawn was successful.

He said the officials seized 13 guns and 835 rounds of ammunitions and three kilograms of krathom (mitragyna speciosa) leaves as well as a small amount of marijuana during the searches.

He said three suspects were arrested – one in an illegal gun case, and two for having krathom leaves in possession.

/thaivisa-news.png.pagespeed.ce.ASDmYCLRp

-- © thaivisa.com

There damned if they do and damned if they don't hey!!!!!

Its about time someone stood us to these Mafia groups and here we go ..... Prayut Stiley... Top Man... Hats off to you. Now go back to Koh Tao and sweep up the scum line along the beach. Start in Sairee.

Agree, and always some nasty negative belittling posts when ever the authorities try and do something.This place has become terrible recently and something has to be done to reign in the violence and inter gang/family troubles.

• Like 2

So 1 chap gets murdered and the "authorities" worry about the negative impact on tourism, and then, launch a full airbourne assault with 700 army an police personell. Oh course the later action will re-assure everyone!

This is a very sensitive subject umongst Thais as local gunned down what seems like another local

You won't hear any Thais talking out loud in the street about this

Allot of outside police are here as if local police get inbolved they could be in a a very hard situation as they have to be close to the locals and taking sides could be very risky

So time to sit back and let them get on with it

• Like 2

So... other than making a "statement" and searching 26 houses, all that for nothing???

He said three suspects were arrested – one in an illegal gun case, and two for having krathom leaves in possession.

Is that going to clean up the mobs, gangsters, gunmen on the island?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

It is amusing to watch the TV peanut gallery struggle to find a problem with this.

Soldiers dropping from helicopters certainly looks like a command from very, very high up the command chain and possibly without the local uniformed protection agency ... being able to warn their employers.

It is absolutely some "Kick a** and take names" drill and if it nets real results ... look for more..."The buck stops here" action in the future.

You F with the bull ... you get the horns.

Someone went WAY over the line and the party has just begun.

Well, sure someone overstepped the line. Question is only,

who's line. Some very powerful "influential" families here in

the south who sure don't like to be stepped on their toes.

You say, "the party has just begun". Yeah would be very nice

and a bit of Island clean-up wouldn't harm the region here at

all but I recon, as usual, it's just a big warning shot.

Probably just a bit of power redistribution, then it's all back to

"normality"

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. The majority of my posting is really about the idea that no matter what anyone with authority does in Thailand .. one thing is certain.

(Please allow me to rant at the rest who do not seem to employ your balanced and thoughtful reply)

When the Thai Visa Review board is done with it ... the verdict is always the same

Thai = Bad

Thai = Stupid

Thai = Incompetent

Well, it is thier GD country, and there is a new sherriff in town ... wait for the punchline ... who is doing EXACTLY what Thai Visa writers beg for every day.

This is the forum where we see:

"Playing the guitar? Throw him in Thai Prison."

"Punched a Farang? Hang the SOB !"

"Overstayed by accident? Should have known better! Deport and Black List him"

And on and on...

Then, over the horizon we hear the helicopters, soldiers are on roof tops, dozens of suspects are in custody.

And we wait to see how this too ... in the TV filter ... was a screw up.

Now that the General is putting the heat on criminals, some bad cops, etc ... why are we not cheering?

Isn't that what y'all wanted?

As to your crystal ball prediction of the outcome, I honestly do not know.

(But ... neither do you)

I would say because most expect nothing is going to be done to stop a replacement (equally crooked and sanctioned by whoever the powers might be at that time) stepping in to do exactly the same thing that the people getting arrested were doing. As soon as something is done about the corruption in the military or from the yellow side of the political divide people will be less skeptical.

Edited by Lorn

Just wondering, how good is this for tourism? Some may flee immediately, some may stick around, but how about their stories when they go home? Would anyone make the place their destination for beach activities after being clued in as to what goes on? Lots of beaches in lots of countries thus I don't think this will be luring tourists to Thailand. But, I'll bet it's good for tourism to Viet Nam, Philippines, etc.!

I remember 2004. All the tourists came running over to Samui from Phuket with "great" stories to tell.

I also remember when Bangkok was burned down a few years ago. The next day 2 tourists were in the water at chaweng beach next to me. One mentioned that something had happened in bangkok, and then they ordered another beer :-)

And yes, the waitresses at the hotels will serve beer on the beach. They take the fresh beer to the waters edge, and bring back the one you just drank. They keep an eye out too, so you can order by waving your hand. Excellent service. Tips are appreciated!

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 1

Bottom line is their worried about tourism ! well thats enough to discourage visitors having the army jump through your window or run on your roof !!!!! w00t.gif

I hope the Mafia and thugs have now got the message, their days of freedom are numbered.
If the bandinos example from '06 is anything to go by the effect will likely be 'in like a lion & out like a lamb!' Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Good news. The only thing that will change Thailand is at least a generation of benign authoritarianism. Something like, but with with a touch of Thainess, a national polity that transformed Singapore from a corrupt colonial backwater to a First world city-state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Bottom line is their worried about tourism ! well thats enough to discourage visitors having the army jump through your window or run on your roof !!!!! w00t.gif

I doubt many tourist were aware of any of this as it was 6am in the mourning ...only a few who had not got too bed buy then.

Was anybody killed???

Was anybody hurt???

Was there even a shoot out???

Did anybody actually fire a single shot???

I hope the Mafia and thugs have now got the message, their days of freedom are numbered.

"6 am in the mourning" - I like that Basil, but I doubt if anybody was! (in mourning, that is!) Good news if they managed to arrest a lot of "mafioso". I've heard no reports of any gunfire, but I did hear a helicopter pass overhead, and at least a message is being sent. Whether the right people will hear it or not, I don't know, but Army and BIB working together - there must be a few twitchy backsides about!!!

Good news. The only thing that will change Thailand is at least a generation of benign authoritarianism. Something like, but with with a touch of Thainess, a national polity that transformed Singapore from a corrupt colonial backwater to a First world city-state.

As I have been saying for months. Thailand needs a Lee Kwan Yew! Thanks for the support. Those of us who love the place want to see the worst of the rats thrown overboard.

• Like 1

It seems to me that those who still try to compare Singapore with Thailand display an unfathomable lack of knowledge of both countries

Just wondering, how good is this for tourism? Some may flee immediately, some may stick around, but how about their stories when they go home? Would anyone make the place their destination for beach activities after being clued in as to what goes on? Lots of beaches in lots of countries thus I don't think this will be luring tourists to Thailand. But, I'll bet it's good for tourism to Viet Nam, Philippines, etc.!

I remember 2004. All the tourists came running over to Samui from Phuket with "great" stories to tell.

I also remember when Bangkok was burned down a few years ago. The next day 2 tourists were in the water at chaweng beach next to me. One mentioned that something had happened in bangkok, and then they ordered another beer :-)

And yes, the waitresses at the hotels will serve beer on the beach. They take the fresh beer to the waters edge, and bring back the one you just drank. They keep an eye out too, so you can order by waving your hand. Excellent service. Tips are appreciated!

I remember the guests of the Imperial Hotel fleeing the island after they were robbed at gunpoint at the hotel.

"authorities are gravely concerned that such acts will have a negative effect on tourism and are concerned about violent crimes on the island as a whole, specifically gun crime."

Of course they are.

Would they have done this if tourists had been shot?

Just received news of a young Thai Boy that i knew, he was Murdered around the sound club area last night. Very sad news.

Samui is out of control now! It's become a very dangerous place to live. I hope the Military don't hold back and clean up all these Ibiza style venues.

R.I.P young man.

Nice one. It seems this raid was pro active and without the jungle drums beating too hard so not everybody who was guilty knew what was coming. Hard to say at this stage of course. Until something more conclusive is announced. However if you want an army in power and expect them to seriously root out the problems then this and many more actions like it hitting at every tier of corruption is the only way you will ever get any sort of resolution. Reservedly I say congratulations and well done... now go on with it.

• Like 2

Seeing dogs on television that have been trained to sniff out drugs, money, explosives and fire arms in other countries...

How long before Thailand invests in them.

P.S. I have a few ex GF's (Thai) who not only can sniff out money but gold too, have not seen a gold sniffing dog yet.

Edited by Basil B

Grenada comes to mind. I wonder if this will end up in the history books as "the heroic invasion of Koh Samui". It's always an advantage to have a sense for proportions 700:to what? If you wanna do it right get training from the french foreign legion.

Did'nt do much good in French Indo China, did they..........lolololol

It seems the approach was OTT. Better intelligence and investigative work would have avoided this waste of resources. Must be very upsetting for people in that community.

You sound like the naive idiot who would put the Samui Police to do the investigation. The RTA came in unexpectedly and overcame the local police before they could send out warnings

• Like 1

It seems to me that those who still try to compare Singapore with Thailand display an unfathomable lack of knowledge of both countries

I remember Singapore back in the 50's when it was very much like Bangkok is today. But along came Lee Qan Yew.