Benefits of Support in Rehab

GinBoy2

I was heartened to read Philos recent thread on getting sober in Thailand, yet somewhat outraged by an ignorant thread decrying anyone who utilizes AA.

I thought I would tell my story, which might explain why with hindsight I too would have used a support group.

I have stated before in this forum that i was a fully fledged member of the 'functional alcoholics' group. Held down good jobs, ended up in senior management, wasn't violent or obnoxious drunk, but I was happily downing a minimum of a bottle of gin a day, starting with a couple of shots with by breakfast wheaties.

I drunk heavily like this for a good 25-30 years, before I woke up one day here in Thailand, and thought, "this is killing me' and resolved to quit cold turkey, that day, right now.

So far so good. No research, no support, just stopped. The next two weeks were to say the least 'interesting'. After drinking so much for so long, I didn't really often feel drunk, but it soon became clear that my body was dependent on the drug.

My first clue was the second night, when I didn't think I was asleep. To me I was awake and conscious, it wasn't until my wife woke me up that I realized I was sleeping, drenched in sweat and having basically a nighttime hallucination. I had several more of those events over the next few days. The sweating got worse, then I became aware of chest pains, and heart palpitations. As it happens I was going to the hospital to get a health certificate for my drivers license, blood pressure was through the roof.

Obviously as I know now I was suffering from Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome from such an abrupt cessation in alcohol, in hindsight I was lucky not to have a seizure, or heart attack.

After about two weeks things returned to normal, and I realized I'd had a lucky escape. Had I decided to go down the AA, or some kind of supervised withdrawal I probably would have avoided a near fatal experience.

10 years later, and I'm at a point when I can now have a glass of wine at a restaurant without the craving, but to this day I cannot ever have drink in the house, since I even after all this time I know full well if it was there I would drink it.

So my advice to anyone who recognizes they have a problem, get help, support & advice before stepping off that cliff. You've crossed the major hurdle of recognizing the problem, but make sure the cure doesn't become worse than the disease

I am glad you are doing OK GinBoy2 but if I may I would like to correct you on a couple of points.

Firstly you state......"Had I decided to go down the AA, or some kind of supervised withdrawal I probably would have avoided a near fatal experience."....Supervised withdrawal is always preferable I suppose but not always available, but I think your statement might give the impression that AA can offer that supervision. That is not the function of AA (although it's members can give a lot of advice from their own experience on a personal basis). AA believes Alcoholism is a three fold disease...mental, spiritual and physical. The mental and physical side of things they will tell you is best left to the medical professionals. AA's purpose is to bring about a recovery from Alcoholism through Spiritual means.

Secondly....AA's believe it is not possible for a "Real" Alcoholic to drink sociable again many have gone through the gates of hell trying to do so,maybe in the future that may come about through scientific means)not even the odd glass of wine. It would be easier for an amputee to grow a new pair of legs.

You may have been a very heavy drinker (can often drink more than an Alcoholic but is not affected in the same way as alcohol affects the alcoholic). Heavy drinkers, for example, can often stop instantly when told to do so by a doctor because he could be killing himself by the quantity of alcohol he is consuming. Or if given an ultimatum by a spouse or threats of loosing their children. Alcoholics, on the other hand cannot (except on very rare occasions) stop on their own will power. They cannot do it alone.

People might say that they know of "Alcoholics" that stopped on their own and never needed help. If that is so.....then they are not alcoholics "Of our kind". What I am referring to there is a quote from the "Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous" fondly known as the "Blue Book or Big Book in AA.

I sincerely wish you continued success OP.....but as we are dealing with life and death issues her (both for the alcoholics or those that might be caught in their crossfire" it is important that the right message is put out there.

Glad your doing good but I will say that that glass of wine is dancing on the fence. Part of AA is finding out why you drank the way you did and learning how to deal with those things with a clean mind and body. Be aware of the dry drunk, acting same way but sober. Good luck and enjoy your new found fredom.

I found very little support from AA but realised that I did need supervised withdrawal.

I was lucky to find a hospital with the right doctor on the day and things have been moving forward from there.

As for a 'Higher Power', I got myself into it and I have to be my own 'Higher Power' to get and keep myself out of it.

dear OP.

alcohol withdrawal can easily be deadly or very dangerous at the very least. but a handful of drugs, one of them alcohol can have serious if not fatal withdrawal. hospitals use things like librium or even beer in gradually tapering doses to safely get through the dangerous part of withdrawal. blood pressure can skyrocket and lead to stroke, heart attack, etc etc including end organ damage.

your will and decision to stop cold turkey is admirable however could be dangerous / lethal.

I am glad you are doing OK GinBoy2 but if I may I would like to correct you on a couple of points.

Firstly you state......"Had I decided to go down the AA, or some kind of supervised withdrawal I probably would have avoided a near fatal experience."....Supervised withdrawal is always preferable I suppose but not always available, but I think your statement might give the impression that AA can offer that supervision. That is not the function of AA (although it's members can give a lot of advice from their own experience on a personal basis). AA believes Alcoholism is a three fold disease...mental, spiritual and physical. The mental and physical side of things they will tell you is best left to the medical professionals. AA's purpose is to bring about a recovery from Alcoholism through Spiritual means.

Secondly....AA's believe it is not possible for a "Real" Alcoholic to drink sociable again many have gone through the gates of hell trying to do so,maybe in the future that may come about through scientific means)not even the odd glass of wine. It would be easier for an amputee to grow a new pair of legs.

You may have been a very heavy drinker (can often drink more than an Alcoholic but is not affected in the same way as alcohol affects the alcoholic). Heavy drinkers, for example, can often stop instantly when told to do so by a doctor because he could be killing himself by the quantity of alcohol he is consuming. Or if given an ultimatum by a spouse or threats of loosing their children. Alcoholics, on the other hand cannot (except on very rare occasions) stop on their own will power. They cannot do it alone.

People might say that they know of "Alcoholics" that stopped on their own and never needed help. If that is so.....then they are not alcoholics "Of our kind". What I am referring to there is a quote from the "Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous" fondly known as the "Blue Book or Big Book in AA.

I sincerely wish you continued success OP.....but as we are dealing with life and death issues her (both for the alcoholics or those that might be caught in their crossfire" it is important that the right message is put out there.

AA has certainly been a Godsend for many however it is not a band aid remedy for everyone. there are various routes to sobriety and some may work for certain people and not for for others. AA is sort of the folkloric mantra of alcoholism and absolutely encompasses a great deal of wisdom and insight and experience. for some it took an intervention to get sober, others AA. still some have sought treatment at various rehab centers.

dear OP.

alcohol withdrawal can easily be deadly or very dangerous at the very least. but a handful of drugs, one of them alcohol can have serious if not fatal withdrawal. hospitals use things like librium or even beer in gradually tapering doses to safely get through the dangerous part of withdrawal. blood pressure can skyrocket and lead to stroke, heart attack, etc etc including end organ damage.

your will and decision to stop cold turkey is admirable however could be dangerous / lethal.

When nothing else is at hand...alcohol itself can be used to illeviate the DT's (delerium tremores) and from the above as written by "atycib".

Bill (one of the two co-founders of AA) himself gave Bob (the other co-founder of AA) a drink of Alcohol before he went into hospital......wait for it.......he (Bob) was the surgeon and had to perform an operation on a patient but his hands were so shakey that he needed the drink to have any chance of the procedure being successful. That was the last drink he ever took. He was late getting home that night. Bill (who was staying at Bob's house) and Bob's wife felt sure he was on the "Razmataz" again, so when he did finally arrive home they expected he might be drunk again....when asked where he had been all that time..............he said he had been calling on the people around him in Ackron Ohio, that he had hurt during his drinking time.....and was making amends to them.

It is the 7th step of the 12 step AA programme..."Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all".

It is hardly possible for AA's to get sober without this "cleaning house". or making an honest attempt at the other 11 steps also. As it is written........"Half measures......... nothing". (with a big N).

Do the treatment centers and the clinics and the hospitals or whatever ....emphasise the importance of these 12 moral principels that is needed by so many Alcoholics around the world to find a solution to their dilema.

I have heard it said that every active Alcoholic is in search of a "Spiritual Awakening"....that he has a constant emptiness in the pit of his stomack. That emptiness can be filled by finding a Spiritual solution to his problem. This he finds in AA by one alcoholic talking to another.

Stopping drinking is not the difficult part................it is staying stopped.

I found very little support from AA but realised that I did need supervised withdrawal. I was lucky to find a hospital with the right doctor on the day and things have been moving forward from there. As for a 'Higher Power', I got myself into it and I have to be my own 'Higher Power' to get and keep myself out of it.

You found all the information you needed in AA your choice to use it or not. AA no way helps you through the withdrawals. Individual members on their own free will might help you if you are willing to accept there help. I have seen hundreds come in and go out because they do not want the program of recovery that AA offers.

It says rite in the AA big book that they do not claim to be the only way. Good luck with your higher power. Sounds moire like a choice to use self will to me. It has worked for some good luck with it.

If you are your own higher power why did you go to a doctor?

AA has certainly been a Godsend for many however it is not a band aid remedy for everyone. there are various routes to sobriety and some may work for certain people and not for for others. AA is sort of the folkloric mantra of alcoholism and absolutely encompasses a great deal of wisdom and insight and experience. for some it took an intervention to get sober, others AA. still some have sought treatment at various rehab centers.

To the best of my knowledge most rehab centers recommend a continuing program such as AA NA and other anonymous programs.

It is not all of them that do that but most do.

I am a strong believer that AA works but I am not sure if you are suggesting that if an alcoholic stops drinking without AA then they are NOT A REAL alcoholic.

As well, in your other comment.

It is the 7th step of the 12 step AA programme..."Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all".

This is step 8 not step 7.

I am a strong believer that AA works but I am not sure if you are suggesting that if an alcoholic stops drinking without AA then they are NOT A REAL alcoholic.

As well, in your other comment.

This is step 8 not step 7.

What I said (in quotes) and meant was....If a person can stop drinking without the need and help of the AA programme, which is a twelve step programme (12 spiritual principles), then he/she is not an Alcoholic "of our kind", a different kind maybe, but simply not our kind.

He may well be a real alcohoic, ....."Our kind" in AA are the kind that need the spiritual guidance of these principles in our lives that hopefully will lead us to finding a Power greater than ourselves that will solve our problem.

I do hope this has answered your queary and if not I will try again, no problem...be be glad to.

Of course you are absolutely right about the other....that is the eight step. That was just a "delebriate" mistake on my part...to check and see if ye were still awake, glad to see you spotted it......555.

• 5 months later...

Hi I have to agree with other posters about doing a supervised detox is very important. I've been through 5 supervised detoxes myself and struggled for sometime with alcohol. They use Valium but load it up quite high so it's not something to mess around with as alcoholic seizures and death are certainly very possible. It's also not something to do yourself due to the way the loading is done. You'd be better off to cut down the drinking over a period of time but that's probably very hard.

I personally have been and done detoxes and rehabs and AA is very helpful if you really want to stop you can do it but it means committing for life.

I have a few years experience in fighting alcoholism and have a solution that may be useful to people. I'm planning to open a clinic in Thailand so that I can give back to other alcoholics what I have learned and help people as that's the spiritual foundation of the life I want to live.

If anyone is interested in either helping me or seeking treatment please email me at [email protected]

I wish you all the best of luck in your recovery journey. Mine has taken me almost 20years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I personally have been and done detoxes and rehabs and AA is very helpful if you really want to stop you can do it but it means committing for life.

I'm only committed for the rest of today. Tomorrow, I'll probably decide to be committed to the end of tomorrow, but I'm not going to worry about that until tomorrow. I've got enough on my plate today.

That's what "One Day at a Time" is about.

I've been doing one day at a time since 1988.

Archived