Giving Birth in Bkk - Maternity Packages & Cost

Delun

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for advice and some informed guidance on maternity hospitals in Bkk.

In particular, I am looking for information on maternity packages and a pricing guide for a farang woman wishing to give birth at Phaya Thai 2 (I have heard really good things about this hospital) or an alternative ‘creditable’ maternity hospital in Bkk.

For example: Does anyone have a package and price guide for the following maternity options? I have emailed Phaya Thai 2 but I am getting no reply.

Package Natural Childbirth (3 days) Cesarean Section (4 days) . Package Natural Childbirth (2 days) Cesarean Section (3 days)

We have been going to Ramkhamhaeng Hospital for all our pre-maternity treatments. However, when we asked for a maternity CS package and price we were informed the following by our doctor - Thai 45 and farang 100k to 120k+. Considering we both work in Bkk and pay tax, I am peed. But, that matter is for another day, baby first. Subsequently, for that cost we may as well go to Bumrungrad or Samitivej hospitals. Ultimately, we may well end up at Samitivej (due to our proximity) but I wanted to get some packaging and pricing options for Phaya Thai 2 or an alternative ‘creditable’ maternity hospital if anyone has any info.

Thank you in advance,

Delun

I can't answer your question directly, but hope the following helps a little.

It really doesn't matter a jot if your wife is Thai or farang, there should not be a dual pricing scheme in a private hospital. The treatment is the same.

But there is a big disparity in charges from hospital to hospital.

My friend paid around 80,000 baht all told at a high end hospital the name of which escapes me. I think Rama 9 is about that too. I'd guess Phaya Thai will be around 60,000 baht and I agree it has a good reputation. You might want to also try St Louis at Sathorn.

Myself, well my wife is Thai and we live in Surat, so we used the Thaksin Hospital. They had a special package for around 35,000 baht. it was a 3 night stay and all inclusive.

Yes indeed. In which case delivery should be free.

The price quoted at Ramkhamheng is indeed higher than Bumrungrad, where natural delivery is about 70,000, vaginal delibvery with epidural 85,000 and C-section 109,000.

Suggest you look into packages at the not fr profits i.e. Saint Louis Hospital and Bangkok Christian. Bkk Christian is 42,000 for vag. delivery, and I think 65,000 for CS. St Louis likely less. But need to read carefully what packages include as they are not all the same.

The bigger issue though is not the cost of a delivery package but what it will cost you if anything goes wrong, e.g. if the baby needs to stay in a NICU (costs there can be astronomical). Hence it is well worth straightening out the situation regarding your Social Security now and if at all possible deliver in a hospital where you are covered under it.

• Like 1

If you work in Bangkok and pay tax, you should be covered by social security.

What George says,

You use the hospital specified by your Social Security package and it's free.

About 10 years ago I was on just such a scheme. You are only covered to a certain amount, and so you would inevitably settle for a hospital like the police Hospital in Chit Lom, or perhaps Chula. Now it wasn't bad and was ok for me for basic issues, but I would be hesitant about sending my wife along for childbirth. Maybe, things have changed!

If they have the money, Thais don't think twice about going private.

A friend of mine said his wife's daughter had her child at the public hospital. I think the whole deal cost just 1500 baht, but was somewhat uncomfortable, she spent a lot of the time in a corridor, both before and after.

Yes indeed. In which case delivery should be free.

The price quoted at Ramkhamheng is indeed higher than Bumrungrad, where natural delivery is about 70,000, vaginal delibvery with epidural 85,000 and C-section 109,000.

Suggest you look into packages at the not fr profits i.e. Saint Louis Hospital and Bangkok Christian. Bkk Christian is 42,000 for vag. delivery, and I think 65,000 for CS. St Louis likely less. But need to read carefully what packages include as they are not all the same.

The bigger issue though is not the cost of a delivery package but what it will cost you if anything goes wrong, e.g. if the baby needs to stay in a NICU (costs there can be astronomical). Hence it is well worth straightening out the situation regarding your Social Security now and if at all possible deliver in a hospital where you are covered under it.

I think this is an excellent posting.

There was a long and informative thread on this forum maybe one or two years ago detailing one couples experience when something went wrong with a birth being covered by a major hospital package plan. As Sheryl mentioned, monumental supplementary charges for post natal care. I tried to find a link but could not find a successful search term. Maybe somebody else can post the link.

There was a long and informative thread on this forum maybe one or two years ago detailing one couples experience when something went wrong with a birth being covered by a major hospital package plan. As Sheryl mentioned, monumental supplementary charges for post natal care. I tried to find a link but could not find a successful search term. Maybe somebody else can post the link.

I think you meran this http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/715999-fee-10000-per-day-no-acceptable-move-from-hospitalhelp/page-3?hl=%2B%26%23036%3B10%2C000#entry7753978

And a cautionary tale it indeed is. they chose the hospital based on the delivery package price, not thinking of what costs would be if something out of the ordinary went wrong...but it did.

I believe they are still having to pay off the bill.

Just got a bill from Phaya 2 for 2 days and it's about 150,000 THB. Please check prices, the 120 k sounds a great alternative money wise.

You could call or visit them if you are that keen?

70k at Bangmot hospital Rama 2 last August, cesarean, not including 'tip' to Dr to make sure they sew you up properly. Common practice here for some reason.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the replies and for the information. It is all very much appreciated.

I just got an email from Phaya 2. Their packages are as follows:

Natural 56K & CS 86k. I have details of the package, if anyone needs them. I can email.

Has anyone been to the new Sukhumvit Hospital at Ekamai/Thong Lor? What were their experiences?

http://www.sukumvithospital.com/en_content.php?id=8

As noted before, both Bangkok Christian and St. Louis will cost less than that.

Most important, both of them have NICU facilities. this is a crucial consideration - do not deliver in a hospital without the capacity to handle a complex emergency in the newborn, and many smaller hospitals lack this. The delays in transport can cost the infant's life and/or lead to brain damage or other disabilities. Not to scare you, but while of course hoping for an uneventful delivery, you need to consider worst case scenarios. That is, after all, the whole point to delivering in a medical facility. Any tertiary level hospital will be able to handle maternal complications, but only some have what it takes to handle serious complications in the newborn.

I am unable to determine from the website whether Sukhumvit Hosp has a NICU.

• Like 1

Almost the entire campus of Sukhumvit Hospital is comprised of brand new buildings and facilities. There always seem to be English speaking staff available and walk-in treatment is available.

As it is close to where I live, I have made use of it a number of times and have been generally satisfied as have friends who have used it. One friend has had extensive work done in their dental clinic. I would say their pricing is in the moderate range. They are part of the Samitivej Group.

I have no knowledge of their maternity operation.

The location is very convenient; just a few steps from the Ekkamai BTS station, Exit #3.

• 4 years later...

Hello I'm new here, i am currently pregnant at 7 months, I go to Thammasat Hospital in Rangsit for my pre-natal check-ups, so far the nurse/staff there are helpful.Also my ob, is nice.I just want to know if anyone here had an experience giving birth in thammasat hospital? How was the experience? and what are the things I need to bring to the hospital when i give birth? BTW, my partner and me are both foreigners.