Concern rises as photos of jam packed Maya Bay with influx of Chinese tourists exposed

Lite Beer

Concern rises as photos of jam packed Maya Bay with influx of Chinese tourists exposed

21-3-2558-13-21-05-wpcf_728x408.jpg

PHI PHI: -- The influx of Chinese tourists to Maya Bay, the main tourist attraction of Phi Phi archipelago in the Andaman Sea, and the scene of the Hollywood film "The Beach" in 1999 is now causing serious concern of its natural charm and beauty among environmentalists and Thai people if no preservation action is taken by authorities.

Concern rises after photos of the jam packed beach with thousands of tourists, mostly Chinese, were posted on the Facebook page of Niruth Darid Bannob on Thursday.

The Facebook user wrote “we heard powerful people in Krabi said the selling points of Krabi are its serenity and untainted natural beauty. But what they are doing or trying to is totally opposite”

“Why should they want it to grow so fast. It is not sustainable..visitors just come and go and it is the locals who have to live with the spoilt nature. Immense revenues from tourism could never help to buy back the nature.”.

The posting of photos of the jam packed beach on Maya went viral on the social network with many questioning the marine park authorities for allowing so many tourists to the island even it was a normal working day.

One said on any given day at any time there will be 30 or more speedboats and longtail boats on the beach, with large ferry boats carrying snorkelers and sightseers moored in deeper water.

But what appeared on the beach was different, there was even no room to walk on the beach.

A marine biology expert and member of the National Reform Council assistant professor Thon Thamrongnawasawat told Daily News that he was surprised to see so many tourist boats mooring on the beach despite the fact permission to the beach needed to be sought first from the park chief.

He questioned if park officials had ever inspected the beach and how these boats anchored and whether coral reef had been damaged by these boats, in addition to garbages and uncleanliness.

He also asked if these tourists visit the island using their own tour companies, their guides and their buses, “so what the country will earn from tourism boom that will bring in painful consequence in the future.

Maya Bay is situated in Had Noppharat Thara – Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park.

Maya Bay has become the main tourist attraction of Phi Phi since The Beach was filmed here in 1999. It was always very popular before the film but now people around the world who haven’t even heard of Phi Phi have certainly heard of Maya Bay.

The best time to visit Maya Bay is between November and April during the high season when seas are calm and access to the bay is easy. Rough seas from May to October may hinder access but rarely deny entry.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/concern-rises-as-photos-of-jam-packed-maya-bay-with-influx-of-chinese-tourists-exposed

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-21

Damn, Leonardo do Caprio has a lot to answer for.

I remember taking a boat out there maybe 10 years ago. It was lovely. Still quite a few boats, but you could snorkel and feed the fish and swim to the beach and there was plenty of room to walk and enjoy the scenery.

It must be so disappointing for regular tourists to come to Thailand and be faced with these types of crowds.

I guess it's not that tourism is dying per se, it's just that it's changing....and quickly.

• Like 2

The solution is, of course, to enforce daily quotas. Ta make it fair it should be either by paying an entree fee but also have entries exempt from fees on the condition that they are reserved well in advance, say 6 months to a year. That would give people with a genuine desire to see the place and enjoy in it's full glory a chance to do so, whether they can afford it or not.

For the rest of the people that just go there to get a "Been there photo", set a photoshop hut in Phi Phi island or something.

• Like 2

Natural charm and beauty among environmentalists forget all that hogwash, just think of the lovely money money lots of lovely money to be made of the tourists what we need here are a few jet skis so the tourists can get a better view.

Have to love Thai "journalists"!!

First a lot about the damage tourism is doing to this particular bay, and then ending the article with information about the best time to visit:

>>The best time to visit Maya Bay is between November and April during the high season when seas are calm and access to the bay is easy.<<

Makes sense.......................................coffee1.gif

Lol but hey good or bad publicity is still a publicity;p

They still want to promote it but I guess just don't want that much people...whatever they feel like at that moment;p

This is exactly what the Thai government and the TAT were wishing for, influx of masses of tourists,

any tourist is a good tourist... be careful what you wish for... it might just come true

to bite you on the ass.....

• Like 2

I could have gone to KPP a decade before The Beach but never did, and for the last decade I have never wanted to, because it's been clear that the place was overrun with tourism. But for it to get this bad is truly shocking. Is there any other people on this planet so willing to destroy the natural beauty of their country for the sake of money as the Thais? It's very hard to think of one. Maybe the Spanish and French with their Mediterranean coasts.

• Like 2

An amusing photo.....I went there with my brother on his own boat about 12 years ago.

We were anchored up in the middle of Maya Bay. There were a

few tourists in the late afternoon, and when they left we had the entire bay to ourselves.

Sort of looks like paradise ruined now.... And for those who have not been there, it looked a

lot better in the film The Beach than in real life. Had a feeling there was a lot of film editing done......

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

Money from tourism does come easy but has many consequences.

Ask me as a Greek and I'll tell you how my country was spoiled from tourism.

But greed for money never ceases, either in Greece , Thailand or anywhere else in the world.

And they will pay no tax here just like in Greece , but with out going broke.
  • Like 1