refused to be served

salavan

hi just a bit of a rant here today i went in to a shop called TMK in kanchanaburi took 4 packets of coffee up to the cashier, i was the only one there she just sat at the till did nothing, then a thai person arrived put their things on the counter and she served them right away this is the 4th time this has happened in this racist town worse here than anywhere in thailand, we all get over charged but here they acually refuse to serve you

I just had a similar experience tonight.

Won't name the place.

There was no sign of service or even acknowledgement of existence and even turned heads when I tried to get attention.

Thai people were being served.

So I just walked out.

Then all the Thai people stared at ME ... like I was the problem. whistling.gif

Oh well!

Were you in the Thai Department of Social Security by any chance? rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Its happened to me once or twice in the local KFC, they will serve others (Thai) first etc. I put it down to the fact they assume I cannot speak Thai and they cant speak English with any confidence,, so they get embarrassed and dont know what to do, so they try to avoid the situation.

That's all purely guesswork on my part, saving face etc for them, as when I spoke first, to them in Thai, they served me immediately with a big smile biggrin.png

So, perhaps, its just an uncomfortable language barrier that arises occasionally.

it wasnt the fact that they served the thai's first im used to that , it was the fact that she totaly refused to serve me full stop

Won't name the place.

There was no sign of service or even acknowledgement of existence and even turned heads when I tried to get attention.

So I just walked out.

Oh well!

Well, maybe they knew you already......you are very provocative (you posted several stories).

For me such a thing never happened. But it happened that Thai staff didn't speak English and wanted to escape that problem. Or others that didn't want to work at all (neither for Thai nor Farang).

But I never saw something racist. (I am usual dressed, long trouser, real shoes, shirt or nice TShirt, hair OK. etc.....)

Its happened to me once or twice in the local KFC, they will serve others (Thai) first etc. I put it down to the fact they assume I cannot speak Thai and they cant speak English with any confidence,, so they get embarrassed and dont know what to do, so they try to avoid the situation.

That's all purely guesswork on my part, saving face etc for them, as when I spoke first, to them in Thai, they served me immediately with a big smile biggrin.png

So, perhaps, its just an uncomfortable language barrier that arises occasionally.

I had a few times when they served me before the Thais, which made me very uncomfortable. In 1 case I told them that the other (elderly lady) was before. Than everyone wai-ing everyone makes it even more strange.....

• Like 1

Won't name the place.

So I just walked out.

Oh well!

Well, maybe they knew you already......you are very provocative (you posted several stories).

For me such a thing never happened. But it happened that Thai staff didn't speak English and wanted to escape that problem. Or others that didn't want to work at all (neither for Thai nor Farang).

But I never saw something racist. (I am usual dressed, long trouser, real shoes, shirt or nice TShirt, hair OK. etc.....)

"never saw anythig racist" my god you must be blind, and how do you know how i was dressed, should one dress in a 3 peice suit to buy coffee

• Like 2

A Thai customer jumping the queue?? Impossible could never happen in amazing Thailand!!

Man you need to grow a pair and open your mouth next time!!

I certainly do !! Politely but in a firm manner. Invariably its sorrry sir sorry sir because they dont even realise they did anything wrong

Won't name the place.

So I just walked out.

Oh well!

"never saw anythig racist" my god you must be blind, and how do you know how i was dressed, should one dress in a 3 peice suit to buy coffee

Did you have a shirt on? It's against the law if you didn't.

A Thai customer jumping the queue?? Impossible could never happen in amazing Thailand!!

Man you need to grow a pair and open your mouth next time!!

man i did, i called he a f ing racist pig that was after i checked my rear and side flanks to make sure i wasnt going to be sucker punched by a gang of thai dogs

I'm beginning to see why people - Thai or otherwise - mightn't be keen to acknowledge your existence. You've either got issues or you just enjoy trolling a bunch of old blokes on TV.

• Like 1

Did you have a shirt on? It's against the law if you didn't.

I just came from a 7/11 here in Pattaya where a shirtless Scandinavian (I cant tell their accents apart) was trying to get one of the girls to sort out his 1-2-Call recharge card : she was patiently trying to punch the numbers into his phone. MId-20s, not aggressive nor particularly inebriated - just couldnt be bothered putting a shirt on. I guess he figures Pattaya is an anything goes town and the locals must embrace that ideology - I doubt that's the case for those who dont work in the bars.

Won't name the place.

So I just walked out.

Oh well!

Can you explain the language problem ? someone buys 4 items puts them on the counter and waits to pay for them.

There isn't need for a conversation. All that is needed is for money to change hands and move on.

Nice to know you dress with long trousers, real shoes and a nice shirt. And the amount of Thai's I see walking around in flip flops, well I wont tell you, you will have a heart attack.

Same was done to me at the Vietnam embassy in Bangkok when I went to pick up passport. Went up to the counter, offered my receipt and the guy ignored me. Messengers came and went picking up packets, but the jerk wouldn't look at me. I started laughing. When another person came up to the counter and got served, I laughed louder. Eventually the dipstick relented.

A fitting prelude, as I hated the country. Went there to visit an expat friend and a plan to see the country. Left within a week.

it wasnt the fact that they served the thai's first im used to that , it was the fact that she totaly refused to serve me full stop

Just walk out,they will soon get fed up restocking the shelf!

I had an interesting experience in a somtam/gai yang restaurant in Chiang Mai -- a hole-in-the wall place that's busy at lunch and apparently doesn't want to deal with foreigners. They have a "system" where have order by filling out a slip of paper, with all items listed in Thai and give that to the several ladies preparing food at the front of the restaurant. Meanwhile, you go to the back and collect your cutlery, water, etc, take a seat and they'll bring your food. If you just come in and sit down, you'll be ignored. The first time you come, you either have to come with someone who knows the system or you just sit for a while and observe. If you can't read enough Thai to order, then too bad. They don't have order forms in English. But, the food is great.

I was eating lunch there once and observed a young Thai man come in. While he looked Thai, something about his body language was "off". He tried to flag down the staff a couple times and they spoke to him quickly in Thai and moved on. He just sat there perplexed. Finally, he asked me if I spoke English. Turns out he was from the U.S. His parents were Thai. He didn't speak Thai very well and certainly didn't read it. He was visiting his grandparents in Isaan and had decided to see Chiang Mai as a tourist. He'd never been to a somtam/gai yang restaurant before and had no clue about the food and ordering procedure. The staff at the restaurant watched in amusement as I explained the menu items and the restaurant procedure to him.

Won't name the place.

So I just walked out.

Oh well!

JT, if I didn't know you through your posts, I would say maybe you were the problem.

You could have been fat, tattooed, and shirtless, especially in Pattaya.

But then, Thai people would not have been staring at you, they would have been looking away.

• Like 1