refused to be served

salavan

I just had a similar experience tonight.

Won't name the place.

There was no sign of service or even acknowledgement of existence and even turned heads when I tried to get attention.

Thai people were being served.

So I just walked out.

Then all the Thai people stared at ME ... like I was the problem. whistling.gif

Oh well!

Well, maybe they knew you already......you are very provocative (you posted several stories).

For me such a thing never happened. But it happened that Thai staff didn't speak English and wanted to escape that problem. Or others that didn't want to work at all (neither for Thai nor Farang).

But I never saw something racist. (I am usual dressed, long trouser, real shoes, shirt or nice TShirt, hair OK. etc.....)

"never saw anythig racist" my god you must be blind, and how do you know how i was dressed, should one dress in a 3 peice suit to buy coffee

Did you have a shirt on? It's against the law if you didn't.

Is it really? I didn't know that, just a pity it's another Thai law that is not enforced.

just a message to all the morons here that have decided i was near naked when i went into the shop, OF COUSE I HAD A BLOODY SHIRT ON, BLACK SHOES, SOCKS, LONG KHAKI TROUSERS, WOULD ANYONE LIKE TO DISCUS THE POSSIBLE COLOUR OF MY UNDER PANTS cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

Its happened to me once or twice in the local KFC, they will serve others (Thai) first etc. I put it down to the fact they assume I cannot speak Thai and they cant speak English with any confidence,, so they get embarrassed and dont know what to do, so they try to avoid the situation.

That's all purely guesswork on my part, saving face etc for them, as when I spoke first, to them in Thai, they served me immediately with a big smile biggrin.png

So, perhaps, its just an uncomfortable language barrier that arises occasionally.

You should have gone and ordered Mcdonalds take out then sat inside the KFC to eat it

If you truly didn't cause any problems In the past or this time then they have a real hate issue going on in their head. Many other places to go to buy coffee, Screw them !!! There is hate all over the world just move on and don't be part of it.... 99.9% of Thais will be happy to take your money, .1% are just too stupid to know any better.

Won't name the place.

There was no sign of service or even acknowledgement of existence and even turned heads when I tried to get attention.

So I just walked out.

Oh well!

Next time be sure to wear your TV POTY sash and tiara.

• Like 2

Won't name the place.

So I just walked out.

Oh well!

JT

Was it the Songteaw drivers co-op shop that you were in cheesy.gif

• Like 1

just a message to all the morons here that have decided i was near naked when i went into the shop, OF COUSE I HAD A BLOODY SHIRT ON, BLACK SHOES, SOCKS, LONG KHAKI TROUSERS, WOULD ANYONE LIKE TO DISCUS THE POSSIBLE COLOUR OF MY UNDER PANTS cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Thats it then.....you looked like a tourist............we no serve tourists thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Thats it then.....you looked like a tourist............we no serve tourists thumbsup.gif

Nah, sounds more like a TEFLr.

• Like 1

I have actually experienced the opposite in several parts on Thailand.

I am waiting patiently when some Thai person cuts in front of me, but the server still prompts me first and the queue skipper looks embarrassed and confused.

Hmmm...i think it was MacDonalds in BKK and KFC in Isaan.

Cute girls too, gotta love 'em.

Won't name the place.

So I just walked out.

Oh well!

Well, maybe they knew you already......you are very provocative (you posted several stories).

For me such a thing never happened. But it happened that Thai staff didn't speak English and wanted to escape that problem. Or others that didn't want to work at all (neither for Thai nor Farang).

But I never saw something racist. (I am usual dressed, long trouser, real shoes, shirt or nice TShirt, hair OK. etc.....)

"never saw anythig racist" my god you must be blind, and how do you know how i was dressed, should one dress in a 3 peice suit to buy coffee

Did you not notice that he was replying to someone else?

As far as dress goes, you should dress appropriate to the business. If you look like warmed over crap and go into a place where you are woefully underdressed then you should expect to be refused service.

Some people have issues and some people don't. I have never been refused service. I have never been 86'd from a business (asked to leave and never return) but other people have.

In the neighborhood where I live, I am often given service ahead of others and a few times (very few) behind others. This comes down to relative social status and nothing else. (it is not similar to queue jumping in a 7-11)

Edited by jdinasia

Seems like I always get served.

And is no one jumping the lines I'm in.

You are either lucky or live in the country where there are no people.

I see people jumping queues every day and several times a day.

Some Thais accept it and some don't.

But to say you never see it is unbelievable.

I went to Foodland's "Took la dee" restaurant yesterday with my girlfriend and when we had finished eating she told me to get the bill. I put my hand in the air and tried to attract their attention.

The waiter and waitress were playing around with each other and had no time for customers.

My girlfriend started to get impatient and told me to do something. At the same time the waiter actually saw me and turned his back to me and walked off.

Usually I can control myself, but yesterday I lost it and shouted in Thai "what are you doing? Why don't you want to give me the bill?"

The manager came over and apologised and told me that the young people didn't speak English and didn't know that I sppke Thai.

I don't think it is always racism, but more a fear of speaking English.

I went to Foodland's "Took la dee" restaurant yesterday with my girlfriend and when we had finished eating she told me to get the bill. I put my hand in the air and tried to attract their attention.

The waiter and waitress were playing around with each other and had no time for customers.

My girlfriend started to get impatient and told me to do something. At the same time the waiter actually saw me and turned his back to me and walked off.

Usually I can control myself, but yesterday I lost it and shouted in Thai "what are you doing? Why don't you want to give me the bill?"

The manager came over and apologised and told me that the young people didn't speak English and didn't know that I sppke Thai.

Agreed.

I think that explains most of the incidents of slow or bad service here - the fear of having to speak a language they're not fluent in, and the consequent loss of face.

Must be one of those many selective Thai laws, I see countless Thai men ride up on motorcycles etc, walk into the local shops without shirts on. Well it is a bit rural here.

Living in rural village near Laos. Never saw Thai men riding motorcycles without T-shirt. And "countless Thai men", not just one! Don't believe you.

Must be one of those many selective Thai laws, I see countless Thai men ride up on motorcycles etc, walk into the local shops without shirts on. Well it is a bit rural here.

Living in rural village near Laos. Never saw Thai men riding motorcycles without T-shirt. And "countless Thai men", not just one! Don't believe you.

Well we obviously frequent different areas. In the village I have spent time in it is rare to see thai men wear shirts at all unless visiting the Wat.

Not something you will see in BKK either

• Like 1

Well we obviously frequent different areas. In the village I have spent time in it is rare to see thai men wear shirts at all unless visiting the Wat.

I think you frequent a different Thailand

• Like 1

Knowing how much Thais are afraid of Sun I just don't believe you. " Only mad dog and farang can go out at midday sun"

Seems like I always get served.

And is no one jumping the lines I'm in.

You are either lucky or live in the country where there are no people.

I see people jumping queues every day and several times a day.

Some Thais accept it and some don't.

But to say you never see it is unbelievable.

I never said I didn't see it, you just made that up.

I said they aren't jumping in front of me. I don't doubt the guys that can't get served get jumped in front of all the time.

Won't name the place.

So I just walked out.

Oh well!

Must be "something in the air." My teenage daughter and I went into a very large Electrical Retailer in CNX (won't name it, near Chinese Embassy) looking for "Smart watches." I asked a shop-girl at one counter, twice and pointed to my watch...BLANK STARE over my shoulder into the distance!

My daughter spoke to her in THAI....same Blank insolent stare BUT another Girl hastened to the scene and turned out to be very polite.

Never quite found out what was wrong with the first girl. As it turned out, they didn't have the exact item we wanted so we thanked the HELPFUL Assistant. The other one was still staring at a fly on a wall and picking her nose as we left.

most action the central thai forum has seen since the eighth grade picnic......still trying to figure what a blighty,H/M,arse and whilst are and now someone changes the subject......wtfo

I'm assuming its blighty as in 'Old Blighty' - Britain (or just England), H/M as in Her Majesty / His Majesty and arse is the English spelling for 'ass' as in posterior. Capiche ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blighty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majesty

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=arse

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whilst

Happy to hear that all of the above is completely incorrect in the context of this thread. Good night.

Your lucky, at my local shop I have to wake the old man up everytime, takes sometimes 5-10 minutes, he usually fast asleep on the floor usually with an empty bottle of thai whisky next to him lol

sometimes i go to the local shop and forget to pay or the guy isnt there so i leave the money on the counter or pay next time i go in

"The waiter and waitress were playing around with each other and had no time for customers."

Oh, I'd love to respond to this... but will refrain for fear of a yellow, or most likely, a RED card.